PDA

View Full Version : Anybody starting losing interest in PC games?

billdotson
February 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I used to play alot of PC games. I would spend maybe 8 hours a day in the summer playing Battlefield 2 a couple years ago and last year I played a bunch of Company of Heroes, Rome:Total War, Chronicles of Riddick and Day of Defeat: Source.

I also played Company of Heroes online some but quickly got tired of how all the servers were either 2-4 players and locked or they were 6 or higher and had severe lag, so I didn't get to play much anyway.. so if I actually got into a game I didn't have enough experience to win. People were telling me to download game replays and watch these 3 hour videos to learn how to strategize and stuff and this seemed ridiculous to me. Although I did still have fun.

But now I feel like I have lost interest in videogames and I feel that I have better things to do with my time like learn how to do Python programming and other stuff like that. I installed and started using Ubuntu about a month ago and I like it pretty well. Also, now with Vista I really do not want to have to shell out $300-400 for a new videocard and another gig or 2 of RAM to be able to run Vista and my games (I have 2GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz right now but I hear Vista absolutely devours memory)

I had a list of games I wanted to buy/play like STALKER, Supreme Commander, Crysis, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, etc. and even now that Supreme Commander is out I don't really feel like going and spending my money on it. I don't know I am just not interested right now.. :

Has anyone else lost interest in PC games whether it is due to the price of Vista, just finding other things to do or just something else?

CheeseEatingBulldog
February 25th, 2007, 02:29 PM
My only grievance when I changed over to linux was the potential of not being able to play games. That said I did have a playstation2, so I had that modded and play games on that, apart from the odd counterstrike game online via wine.

I think I have let the pc game boat go, and after reading about the successful folks here installing ubuntu on a ps3 I think that will be my future gaming machine. Besides there are far more important and fun things to do, like breaking installs on feisty.

That said, games aren't that original or new anymore, since modding my ps2 I have acquired some 100 games and to be frank, less than 10 are worth the time, which leaves me waiting for games such as Final Fantasy or Gran Turismo in order to be bothered to turn it on.

Kernel Sanders
February 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Vista is a joke. I tried it, hated every single part of it, especially its much more invasive wga and activation measures. How anyone can like it is beyond my comprehension.

As far as PC games go, I have a PSP. Thats all the gaming I need or have time for these days.

jincast90
February 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Nope I barely game at all. I still have quite a lot of Gamecube and PSP games which I have barely played, or haven't even tried playing, but I just do not think it is as fun gaming as it used to be. Now a days I basically just read on the internet, and I have started to try to learn a little C programming.

insane_alien
February 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM
i lost interest in games once i found the joys of running high definition CFD(computational fluid dynamics) simulations of the most pointless objects (a book with spread pages for example) through the universities cluster when the graphics guys have their projects due in that week.

of course, you have to be able to kill it before someone finds out whats making it as slow as hell.

Adamant1988
February 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I used to play alot of PC games. I would spend maybe 8 hours a day in the summer playing Battlefield 2 a couple years ago and last year I played a bunch of Company of Heroes, Rome:Total War, Chronicles of Riddick and Day of Defeat: Source.

I also played Company of Heroes online some but quickly got tired of how all the servers were either 2-4 players and locked or they were 6 or higher and had severe lag, so I didn't get to play much anyway.. so if I actually got into a game I didn't have enough experience to win. People were telling me to download game replays and watch these 3 hour videos to learn how to strategize and stuff and this seemed ridiculous to me. Although I did still have fun.

But now I feel like I have lost interest in videogames and I feel that I have better things to do with my time like learn how to do Python programming and other stuff like that. I installed and started using Ubuntu about a month ago and I like it pretty well. Also, now with Vista I really do not want to have to shell out $300-400 for a new videocard and another gig or 2 of RAM to be able to run Vista and my games (I have 2GB of Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz right now but I hear Vista absolutely devours memory)

I had a list of games I wanted to buy/play like STALKER, Supreme Commander, Crysis, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory, etc. and even now that Supreme Commander is out I don't really feel like going and spending my money on it. I don't know I am just not interested right now.. :

Has anyone else lost interest in PC games whether it is due to the price of Vista, just finding other things to do or just something else?

Well, firstly, you're how old? As you get older sometimes your priorities sort themselves out, I used to be a huge gamer myself. Now I play flash games like Chess with my friends and I have the time of my life. Also, as a binge gamer you're likely to go through times where you're just sick of playing games, and you want to do something else. Python programming is a noble goal though, you get points for going with that :)

Supergoo
February 25th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Well I just was thinking that I rathar spend time working with and setting up,learning linux then spend too much time Playing endless games, I used to be a huge online gamer now I got one game call World of Warcraft, that I play a few hours a week to chat with my friends and group with them, Learning new stuff is rewarding and fun, Yes I am getting older but I do not think that has anything to do with losing intrest in gaming, Beleive its just a call to better ones self. Games are good when kept in the proper order and not let them take over your life, I have friends that are like living the World of Warcraft, and ignoring their families, But the great thing about learning Linix or *nix is that I can stop help the wife out and there is always printed manuals I can read away from the computer. :)

rolando2424
February 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I used to play a lot of games on the pc, but it's almost all emulators (I'm a retrogamer kind of player :D).

Then I switched to Linux and reduce my playing time even further. but I still play sometimes.

I think the last game for PC that I play (and I mean really playing) was Civilization 3 a couple of years ago I think... Or Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos...

Nowadays I play a little of Cannon Smash, Freeciv, Battle of Wesnoth and a couple of roms...

Bragador
February 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I was a game addict myself without knowing it 5-6 years ago. I played games all the time from age 6 to 19 until I didn't have a good computer to keep up. It's at that time that I saw how I actually needed to play games. It was hard for 1 year and a half and then it was all right. There are games I'd like to try here and there, like EVE for example, but there is so much to experience in the real world. Instead of simulating an exciting life, why not live one ?

I didn't find an adventurous job yet but I'm working on it. I just have to give myself a good kick and pick a job instead of wanting to do everything. I might become a military pilot instead of playing EVE. Or join the navy instead of dreaming of sailing through space. You want to fly? Try soaring in a sailplane or try paragliding! Want to see other worlds? Try scubadiving! You think you know what adrenaline is because of your last boss fight? Try skidiving! You want to see nice sceneries? Trekking is for you!

So now I can't play games for long until I feel I could do something real instead :P

billdotson
February 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I really don't see a bunch of games that are that great that are worth my time and worth the $400-500 to get a new power supply and videocard. I have a 550watt power supply and the new videocards require 550watts minimum just to the run the card.. I am running my entire Core 2 Duo system off of a 550watt PSU. I will have to get like a 1000watt PSU to even have such a videocard.

Pikestaff
February 28th, 2007, 06:42 AM
For me it's not that I've lost interest in games so much as I really don't have much time for them anymore. It's kind of ironic I guess that once I started making the money to buy a bunch of games, I lost the time to play them :p

When I do game, it's usually on a console... the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS are my current favorites; their games are usually very playable and fun and easy to pick-up-and-play. I also have a lot of other consoles though that I will play on occasion. The only PC games I find myself playing a lot of are StarCraft and WarCraft 3 (DotA), but I was never really a huge PC gamer to begin with.

23meg
February 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I stopped being interested in games at the point when the industry stopped caring about innovation almost entirely and focused on what sells: graphics that utilize the latest and greatest hardware and technical superiority over the other guy. For me it happens to be around the time DirectX came out; feel free to infer some political economy from that.

Shay Stephens
February 28th, 2007, 06:54 AM
I actually stopped a few years ago. I couldn't get game to play, the hardware changed so fast I couldn't keep up. So I picked up an xbox and use that. Although for quick diversionary games, I will play some Unreal Tournament 2004 in Ubuntu, and Jedi Knight Outcast via wine.

I don't have to have the latest greatest anymore and I am actually glad about that. I just need some fun once in a while, and what I have does just fine for me now.

PortKreede
February 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM
A few months ago, I went with a friend of mine to a linux club's all-night LAN party. I needed to install linux on a machine for work and knew nothing about it, so this was a good way for me to get my hand held through the process. I gave my friend a hard time later over the install/gameplay ratio for the evening. An hour after it was announced that we were all going to play a game, we had only about half the folks in the room on the server. Serious nerd factor at that LAN party! I enjoyed myself... a little.
:lolflag:

Fast forward a few months to this week, and I'm getting ready to set up my new PC for work, when I decide that I'm going to go a little 'crazy' with it. It took me all of my free time during work on Monday, but I had Ubuntu loaded and running great (and looking good) with all my necessary Windows programs running smoothly in VMware.

Tonight I get bored, and what do I do? I look at the numerous icons for some great 3D games sitting in my quicklaunch bar.. and I open up a web browser and continue researching Ubuntu.
:cool:

W...w.. wait a second.. does this mean I'm turning into a nerd?* :confused: ](*,)

*I mean, any more than before?

SunnyRabbiera
February 28th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I stick to consoles, PC gaming never got me interested

runningwithscissors
February 28th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I used to play a bunch of games too. I also, just grew out of it.

timjayko
February 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I used to fall into the world of final fantasy ever since i picked up FF7 my first RPG.. now im having trouble getting into the latest installment FFXII... for many reasons... 1. Games are not as fun as they used to be.. 2. I am interested in other things now.. 3. FFXII is nothing like FInal Fantasy because sakaguchi left and uematsu as well.. to work for microsoft >< on a couple games I will never play because I will never cop out and get an xbox.. I do agree with someones previous post about the whole games losing innovation.. its all about graphics now.. some of the retro SNES games are so much better than most of the current games because back in the day game developers didn't have amazing graphics to work with so they had to focus on the quality of the game based on story and gameplay.. some of the games to come out of that era will forever be at the top of the all time greatest games list.. chrono trigger baby!!!

P.S. for all you xbox 360 owners don't miss out on sakaguchi's game Blue Dragon.. its made by the same team to bring you chrono trigger.. its one of the only games I would play for xbox

tigerpants
February 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Good post. I feel the same. I've played games all my life, from the early 1980's on a ZX81 right through to today, and this is the first time in my life where I just don't care anymore about games. At the most I can play a game for 20 minutes tops before I lose interest.

The reason? Well, I think I've finally grown out of it. I'm not saying playing games is immature, but I've grown up in different ways - I no longer find them that interesting. I think nintendo have the right attitude to games - designing games for the wii that are like party games, quick fun games that people can play together. I just don't have the time anymore to invest in a game. There is also the fact that most games are pretty dull - they've not really changed in 25 years, it still all comes down to dodging and shooting, but with prettier graphics. The industry needs to be more innovative.

Ob1
February 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Durring my Windows era i played a lot of games, I stoped playing games when i got more interested in programming. Sometimes I play some logic-based games like sudoku, that's about it.

mon_m
February 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, honestly, I think I just finished going through that. When I was growing up in the states, I was really into gaming, going for CPL, attending all internet cafe tournies, etc. - to the point where I cared more about it than school, or even going for a walk outside.

Eventually, I got to a point where I realized that I honestly can't do this forever. Next thing I know, I decided to go back to the Philippines a couple months ago and drop school/work/computers and find out what I really wanted. I lived with my mother in the mountains of the Southern Philippines, kind of like a Walden-esque sort of thing, planting, working off the land, and so forth.

I had a couple of couple great experiences up there, I had a lot of time to think and read, and I've decided to refocus my life on environmental engineering, entirely dropping my original plan of getting a software engineering degree. I'm in Manila now, and I'm heading back this coming Sunday. Before I left, I sold everything but my laptop, and hopefully I can keep it that way and start to focus on what's really important.

steven8
February 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I lost interest awhile ago. I enjoy a bit of Serious Sam now and again, but I can take it or leave it.

The Grum
February 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
PC gaming for me ended when my PC would lock up every 5 minutes for every game except Halo (which ran like plague-infested 3-legged donkey on my 2GHz Althon). So I bought an XBox.

Apart from Civ 3 (on Windows 2000 in VMWare on my Edgy desktop until I can figure out how to get Wine to work) and Armed Assault on my XP partition (Im a HUGE OpFlash fan), I wont touch PC gaming again.

Im saving up for a Wii.

blueturtl
February 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I am losing interest in games, but there are multiple reasons for that. First thing that springs to mind is that most new games today are simply clones of the ones already made. I'm not saying all sequels are bad, or that similar ideas in many games is a bad thing in itself. It's just that most new games I've tried have led me to a strange sensation of deja vu and eventually loss of interest. Where are all the original and interesting new games? The gaming industry is concentrating to a few large vendors, and they rarely take risks to create anything new. They just keep making more sequels with bigger budjets. I recently realized all the games I really ever cared about run on a Pentium 233 system. Very few games that I own warrant a more powerfull system.

As far as gaming itself goes the Wii seems to be a breath of fresh air so I am seriously thinking about giving it the honor of the first console to be purchased into this household.

steven8
February 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I am losing interest in games, but there are multiple reasons for that. First thing that springs to mind is that most new games today are simply clones of the ones already made. I'm not saying all sequels are bad, or that similar ideas in many games is a bad thing in itself. It's just that most new games I've tried have led me to a strange sensation of deja vu and eventually loss of interest. Where are all the original and interesting new games? The gaming industry is concentrating to a few large vendors, and they rarely take risks to create anything new. They just keep making more sequels with bigger budjets. I recently realized all the games I really ever cared about run on a Pentium 233 system. Very few games that I own warrant a more powerfull system.

As far as gaming itself goes the Wii seems to be a breath of fresh air so I am seriously thinking about giving it the honor of the first console to be purchased into this household.

The Wii is fantastic! You won't regret it for a minute.

mediax
February 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I used to be a total pc games addict, upgrading my pc when I got hooked on a new game that demanded it. My interest in games has declined - largely because so many current games seem to be either totally derivative, or little more than eye candy (I know there are still some great games out there, so please don't take this as a pop at your favourite title!).

Having migrated 90% of my pc use over to Linux, I took what feels like the final step away from pc gaming last XMas, when I bought an XBox 360 (shame it had to be from MS, but given my taste in games and the current console market it was the best choice for me personally).

It still feels ironic, after I'd spent years arguing that consoles were a waste of money because I could run games equally well on a pc that did a multitude of other things as well! :lolflag:

lukew
February 28th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I play mame, snes, specy, xplus4 style games on my box.

EdThaSlayer
February 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I got sick of games and stopped playing for more than two months. Now, after having played Warhammer 40k:Dark Crusade I'm back into games and its more fun than ever before. Games get more fun when you start playing them again after a long time.

k|d<FuNkY>FrY
February 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I don't think I ever lost interest in gaming; I believe however that with age (over 30) my priorities (children) and available free time (hardly any) have changed.

Admittedly, I certainly miss the marathon evenings/early-mornings of staying awake endless amount of hrs fraggin' friends and folks at our weekly LAN parties. (The infinite supply of cold Moutain Dew was great) Again, times have changed -- The small amount of free time that seems so hard to find these days is typically channeled in a more productive manner.. (e.g. Learning the many interesting facets of Linux) I'm sure that there are many other dads (and other people in general) out there that share a very similar situation.

The point is guys, don't get married. <<totally kidding>>

**I wouldn't trade this for the world.

wthanna
February 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
haha...... wife must have walked in, mid-post :lolflag:

doobit
February 28th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I lost interest in the high graphics games. I've having a blast with JawBreakers though.

gurgle
February 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
i think that Quake Wars will return my love of pc gaming. one can only hope!

Nikron
February 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I used to play World of Warcraft all the time 3 years ago.. But nowadays I don't play anything except the occasional wesnoth scenario.

Oki
March 1st, 2007, 12:26 AM
I miss Red Orchestra(http://www.redorchestragame.com/), the best game ever made, and the most realistic I have seen. Driving around in a big tank and killing a lot of noobs that dont understand how the tank works are so fun:-D But since I wasted so much time on it, I think its the best leaving it.

Hers a comment from Digg:

>We want the new games!
Yes, we do. And here's 3 that will have linux ports either on or shortly after the windows release:
UT2007: http://www.unrealtournament2007.com/
QuakeWars: http://www.enemyterritory.com/
Savage2: http://savage2.s2games.com/

Quake Wars are looking awesome with titles like this we could get a lot more users cus there is a lot that loves games, at all ages. ID games are goodie for Linux!

mustang
March 1st, 2007, 02:06 AM
I spent my wasted youth gaming. I started with Quake 2 & Rainbow Six all the way up to CS 1.5. I got awfully good at CS (almost always maintained a 5:1 ratio) but school is my priority now so no more time for games. Not to mention an ATI All in Wonder Radeon 8500dv doesn't work too well with today's games.

Sefrin
March 1st, 2007, 02:56 AM
There are a lot of "good" games out there, but it feels to me like there's more and more time now between the "great" games.

Coelocanth
March 1st, 2007, 04:17 AM
I still like PC games, and actually just bought a 'new' one today (new to me, but not a new title). However, being 43 years old, married, and with 2 young children, I don't get a lot of time to play. So, it's a juggling act with my free time. I generally only fire a game up once or twice a week and play for an hour or two. The rest of my free time is generally taken up by cruising a few web sites and tinkering with my Ubuntu installs (I have Dapper and Edgy, and am thinking of tossing Feisty on another partition). I find that keeps my interest up for games, as I don't overdo it on them that way and they don't become stale.

I'm probably going to have to stop buying them once they require DX10 though, as I absolutely refuse to upgrade hardware just for playing games and I will not use Vista (I have XP on a partition on my rig right now solely for playing games and have no intention of investing in a new OS just to have gaming capability).

Bezmotivnik
March 1st, 2007, 02:55 PM
Has anyone else lost interest in PC games
I've never had the slightest interest in computer games to begin with.

billdotson
March 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
for the past month I have just found learning things about how Linux works and learning other things about computers like a little Python, reading tech articles and such, and learning how to record tv shows using my DVD recorder, ripping those shows, editing out commercials and then encoding them into a compressed format like xVid and stuff just seems more interesting and productive than games right now. Also I do not really feel like getting a job to pay for some new games and although I have enough money to buy some of them I would rather invest a large chunk of my money instead of spending it on game.

Games are fun and I have had alot of un with them, but right now it seems like there is a slump in the gaming industry. There have not been any titles worthy of my time for quite some time but eventually there will be some good ones released I will play like Supreme Commander, STALKER, Crysis, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Assassin's Creed, but mostly I have this list of the games I am interested in buying/renting that come out within the next 1.5-2 years and the list is incredibly short. About 8 games or so and a couple of them being rents for the X360 like Mass Effect or Halo 3.

hardyn
March 3rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
i haven't found a game that i have liked in years...

i used to be huge into flight sims. but there arn't any good ones anymore.

i wish they would do another 'space quest' (dating myself)... i really really really wish somebody would do another 'sierra; style adventure game.

Polygon
March 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
i like pc games, especially the half life series and hl2: deathmatch. Not to mention the mods for hl2dm are simply amazing. they are good enough to be standalone games that you buy in the store

and never fear, if you refuse to upgrade to vista, xp will come out with "sp3" or whatever that will include directx 9-SR2 or something... which basically updates dx9 to play dx10 games, but obviously using dx10 with vista will be better

and not to mention that even todays games have backwards compatibility with dx 8 and even some with dx7, and dx10 will not be come the standard for a long long time

K.Mandla
March 3rd, 2007, 06:26 AM
I've moved away from Windows-based PC games, if that can be stipulated. I don't have the funds to buy new titles and make all the upgrades to the hardware that will run them. If I were to splurge on games again, it would likely be on a console system that's a generation back, like a PS2 or a non-360 XBox.

That being said, I'm addicted to a lot of Linux-client games, mostly Savage (http://www.s2games.com/savage/), Regnum Online (http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/eng_site/) and Astromenace (http://www.viewizard.com/astromenace/index_linux.php) these days. (Okay, and Fizzball (http://grubbygames.com/fizzball/). I confess. :roll: )

If it runs in Linux, and my 1Ghz PIII + 64Mb Nvidia Geforce4 440 can handle it, I'll at least try it out. :D

SurR3AL
March 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
ya me tooo....i used to be a major game addict....mostly nfs and counter strike.....now i hardly play at ALL....just a fifa 06 game now and then :) but the.....magic.....of gaming is just....lost!

ramjet_1953
March 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
I lost interest in PC games in about 1980.

Regards,
Roger :cool:

orb9220
March 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
I have never been into online gaming at all.
But I do play some. It seems for me a 3-5 month no games and then I get an itch for Riven or playing the Splinter Cell series. But that's about it.

I just wish that when my edgy breaks we could like go into a battle mode with sound effects for tracking down and blasting breakage and the aim of the game is to have a functioning system again.

Alot of the FPS linux games seem to never heard of solo or offline playing. Until there are I don't even play linux games.

Seems more important to me now to try and help and entertain other's. I started a blog to inform and entain other's. Getting back into photography to get me out more and try to help new user's here.

To me if I see a +30 or > still spending massive times on the computer playing games. It makes me wonder why that person is not growing and feel sorry that he is stuck and has not grown to try new things.

Due to medical reason's I might be dead in about 6 mos. So that kinda get's you motivated to go out and see and experience new things.

Come On you game fanatics put the pad down and go out and smell the roses.

Polygon
March 4th, 2007, 01:26 AM
just cause you like video games doesnt make you a loser or someone who wastes all of their times. Im a huge gamer, yet i have a 3.5+ gpa, i play on the school vball team, im in band, and i hang out with friends regularly. Im also in boy scouts and ive been places like the top of a 14000 foot mountain, and white water rafting in colorado

stereotypes are bad =/

Coelocanth
March 4th, 2007, 01:53 AM
just cause you like video games doesnt make you a loser or someone who wastes all of their times. Im a huge gamer, yet i have a 3.5+ gpa, i play on the school vball team, im in band, and i hang out with friends regularly. Im also in boy scouts and ive been places like the top of a 14000 foot mountain, and white water rafting in colorado

stereotypes are bad =/

Excellent point. I'm a 43 year old father of two, I run 20 to 25 miles a week, take the kids out, hike when I can, have been trekking in Nepal, read, and have a wide variety of interests besides computers and games. Just because we play games doesn't mean we waste all our free time on them.

LookTJ
March 4th, 2007, 02:46 AM
WoW(World of Warcraft) is starting bore me.

x1a4
March 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Hi,

Although not completely, I've pretty much outgrown games. Though I've recently started a new hobby which is getting my games to run on Xubuntu. So far, the ones that gave me the least trouble is StarCraft and Doom 3, but Quake 1,2,3 were fairly easy too. Halo (no surprise there), Splinter Cell 1,2,3 I haven't got running and doubt I ever will, same goes to BloodRayne2 and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. While Linux definitely needs work in the gaming department, with a little work most games should be able too run fairly decently.

While I'm on the subject of games. What about Mac games? Never having had a Mac I can't comment on it, but since Apple bases its software on OpenBSD I would imagine it wouldn't take much to get them to run on Linux?

esaym
March 4th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Playing video games is like drinking alcohol; a waste of my time. To think of all the hours I could have spent playing with linux instead of video games or beer :-k

It also helps that there hasn't been any innovative games since 2003 ...

hellmet
March 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Well, I used to play games a few years ago, but , now I just play Simcity4 thru Cedega. I don't Windows on my comp. Simcity runs as good as it ran on WinXP, so no complaints. The other game I liked was crick. 2004. Gotta try to get it running on Wine.

Kimm
March 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
After I started using Linux I pretty much fazed out Games (not that I cant run the games that I like in wine). One reason is that my computer isnt really cut out for gaming...

Sometimes thought, I enjoy som StarCraft, CounterStrike or Jedi Academy, but thats pretty much it.

Kateikyoushi
March 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I did, last year I only played 2 PC games despite that I bought a new 17" widescreen 1080HD notebook for gaming and video, mostly because of the lack of interesting games on the platform and I prefer to play on consoles recently.

MethodOne
March 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I used to play a lot of computer games like Starcraft, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and Tribes 2 until I got my laptop in 2005. Now I play mostly console games, ROMs, and Unreal Tournament. I'm also beginning to get interested more in game server administration than actually playing the games.

Domhnull
March 5th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I pretty much gave up on PC games a couple years ago when I moved over to Linux. The only PC game I currently play is World of Warcraft (under Cedega). Otherwise it's Wii, Gamecube, DS/GBA games.

aysiu
March 5th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I used to love playing Below the Root, Bop'n Wrestle, and Castle Wolfenstein.

I lost interest in PC games about two decades ago.

And I'm not alone (http://www.psychocats.net/essays/gamingperspective).

rocknrolf77
March 5th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I'd like to have some good rts games, native for linux. Why so many fps? I'm not gaming like I used to. Could sit for so many hours earlier. Can't get C&C generals running any good in cedega either. The good games dosen't come that often anymore. The two titles that I'm looking forward for the most has to be C&C 3 and Gta IV. Can't imagine how good Gta IV is going to be. At least rockstar games never releases a game until it's done, like so man others. Just to make the christmas sale or whatever. The people making games with the "it's done when it's done" attitude is the ones making the really good games that you can play for years.

It's just a shame that you have to wait a longer time for the pc versions of Gta. Almost forgot about Kotor III. That's going to be a good day for me on the release date. What can I say, I'm a star wars addict. :)

rennen01
March 8th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I still play Counterstrike: Source. I am thinking about starting up again in World of Warcraft. I don't have as much time these days as I used to, so I play whenver I have a free hour or so.