PDA

View Full Version : Question to any Parents out there?

MonkeyBoy
February 25th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I have an 8 month old boy and he seems to like sitting on my lap while I am using my pc. Sadly, he finds most of the things I look at a bit dull and gets bored quickly. I have managed to get him to sit quietly by running cartoons from youtube etc but would really like to find something a bit more interactive

He quite likes his picture books and songs. Does anyone know of any good apps,sites, presentation files, etc that might be helpful to amuse him?

weatherman
February 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
sorry but don't you think there's some more appropriate entertainment than a pc for an eight-month-old boy?

haricharan
February 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM
there is a tool called childsplay which claims to be educational and fun to play...though i have never checked it out...or u can try something from the education section or games section in synaptic.....

Corvalis
February 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM
i've used a music player (iTunes, MediaPlayer) playing music with the visualizations turned on full screen:guitar: . Works for a bit but at that age nothing lasts for long.

Bragador
February 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I've studied human development as part of my bac in psychology so I know what I'm talking about.

You can always try to find fun stuff for your kid on the computer but do NOT neglect physical toys. They are quite important to help him develop his dexterity and coordination. Actually, I'd make sure you give physical toys first and foremost so your baby can move and develop properly. He can always become a geek later you know ? ;)

For example, a simple soccer ball is actually quite good. It's as simple as that really. The ball is a bit too big for him so while he tries to handle it, he'll improve his dexterity. You should read about what kind of toy is good for what kind of age. Quite interesting.

PriceChild
February 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Checked out the contents of Edubuntu? An ubuntu derivative.

-Phi-
February 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Gcompris is a collection of educational games for linux that's included with Edubuntu but you can install it separately too. I'm pretty sure the games are aimed at kids a bit older than 8 months, but they do have fun colours and music.

At least, they entertained me for a while :p

- Phi