PDA

View Full Version : Suggest new features in Automatix...

JimmyJazz
February 25th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone I am an Automatix developer, in fact I developed the latest Automatix UI (and also the nifty little logo and splash screens) but the reason for this thread is not to blow my own horn, its to get some input from you the Ubuntu users (and where better to ask but ubuntuforums). I basically just wanna know what users out there would like to see Automatix do in the near future. So please use this thread to make some suggestions to me directly. Thanks.

Quillz
February 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hmm... Would it be possible to get the core Beryl into Automatix? I'd also like to see some more choices in regards to desktop organization. How about offering something like Kooldock or Kiba-dock?

shareMenaPeace
February 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM
What about envy?

ps.
When is the site back?

JimmyJazz
February 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
When is the site back?

That I can't say at this moment, hopefully very soon.

cac67
February 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Mythtv would be nice. Kind of a pain right now.

Next.Step
February 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM
What about merging the two AXes (AX2 and Bleeder), and creating a subsection just like "Office" or "Utilities" called obviously Bleeder where software like Beryl or PDF printing would be available?
An option called "Ask confirmation on exit" would be welcome
The players in "Multimedia Players" should be seerated into "BMP", "Totem-xine" and so on.
I love your software, and your initiative of asking users directly is...just....awesome!

JimmyJazz
February 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
What about merging the two AXes (AX2 and Bleeder), and creating a subsection just like "Office" or "Utilities" called obviously Bleeder where software like Beryl or PDF printing would be available?
An option called "Ask confirmation on exit" would be welcome
The players in "Multimedia Players" should be seerated into "BMP", "Totem-xine" and so on.
I love your software, and your initiation of asking users directly is...just....awesome!

Thanks I like to get as much input from users as possible I mean that is who Automatix is for.
What do you mean exactly by "Ask confirmation on exit"?

Solver
February 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM
The build-essential package should be in (it's not as far as I can recall). I also strongly advocate yakuake, has to be the most convenient little app I've installed on Ubuntu.

pirothezero
February 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM
another second for envy.

brokencrystal
February 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
AX Gaming Edition <- Like Bleeder, but for Linux games only and add the XBox 360 controller driver and other such hardware, drivers, and hacks.

BTW, I am an Automatix Moderator. ;- }

maniacmusician
February 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks I like to get as much input from users as possible I mean that is who Automatix is for.
What do you mean exactly by "Ask confirmation on exit"?
He means a way to toggle the "are you sure you want to exit Automatix?"

Some people don't want to be asked everytime. So, an option like "Do not ask me this in the future" in that box would be cool

Adamant1988
February 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Perhaps just use https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

It's typically more safe.

brokencrystal
February 25th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Need Automatix to detect the versions of software it installs, so if an update is available, it can update it... I hate when there is a fix or update available from Automatix and I have to manually remove software from Automatix and then install it again to get the updated software.

PriceChild
February 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Perhaps just use https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

It's typically more safe.I think a link to how to do these things yourself via ubuntu community docs could be a good addition and would do a lot for your image.

heathen
February 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
yeah, have a splash that encourages people newto linux/ubuntu to learn how to do these things themselves before resorting to automatix... link them to those pages

Spr0k3t
February 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'd love to see a breakdown of the scripting done. A show of what needs to be done in the scripting for each application. That way for those new users wanting to really learn how to work their system rather than having their hand held would be nice.

I'm just one of those people who likes to see everything going on behind the scenes rather than knowing "it just works". I used Automatix in my first install, but have found it much easier to do everything myself.

Skia_42
February 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I second the beryl/compiz suggestion.

jackrobinson
February 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Linking to (sometimes poorly written) wiki pages will not be a good idea IMO. Automatix should only link to what Automatix endorses. I cannot speak for the AX team, but linking to documentation which is not created/maintained or QC/QA-ed by the AX team might backfire.

brokencrystal
February 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Linking to (sometimes poorly written wiki) pages will not be a good idea IMO. Automatix should only link to what Automatix endorses. I cannot speak for the AX team, but linking to documentation which is not created/maintained or QC/QA-ed by the AX team might backfire.

I agree.

heathen
February 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM
god forbid it might encourage teamwork between the two projects to keep both up to date

FuturePilot
February 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I say add Beryl to the repos.

Spr0k3t
February 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Linking to (sometimes poorly written) wiki pages will not be a good idea IMO. Automatix should only link to what Automatix endorses. I cannot speak for the AX team, but linking to documentation which is not created/maintained or QC/QA-ed by the AX team might backfire.

I have to agree... but I think it should be done in some way. Even if it a wiki page with poor information is a good start. Regarldless of what Automatix endorses or not, I think they should have other methods of achieving the same thing the Automatix script does. I mean, look at how well Envy works for many people, then compare Envy to the three step guide posted by PriceChild which does the exact same thing. Automatix would not work for me with many issues, from the codecs to firefox32/flash. I've done many of the work myself and everything is working fantastic when compared to my first attempt in Ubuntu. The guides I used are many of the wiki pages I found and forum posts.

jackrobinson
February 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM
isn't beryl already included in Automatix2 Bleeder?

Spr0k3t
February 25th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Ooo, I have a request to add. Firefox32 w/Flash9 support on X86_64 platforms.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202537

Sammi
February 26th, 2007, 12:57 AM
+ for Envy

picpak
February 26th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I suggest that we make a couple mirrors for instances like this when the site is down. Everything Automatix shouldn't be central to the getautomatix.com site.

Polygon
February 26th, 2007, 01:47 AM
i think in the latest edition it still says to install plugins for firefox 1.5 ... shouldent the description be updated (or if it is not implemented yet) make that work for firefox 2.0?

Anthem
February 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Gotta go with pikpak on this one. Best new feature would be a working website.

FuturePilot
February 26th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Update the Java version, it's old.

jackrobinson
February 26th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Seems like the Automatix Forum has a dedicated section for feature requests for those who care enough:
http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/index.php?showforum=8

Polygon
February 26th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Seems like the Automatix Forum has a dedicated section for feature requests for those who care enough:
http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/index.php?showforum=8

yeah but if you read the first post, a automatix developer is asking for input from ubuntu users :D

jackrobinson
February 26th, 2007, 04:07 AM
yeah but if you read the first post, a automatix developer is asking for input from ubuntu users :D

agreed! my bad :P

AndyCooll
February 26th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Before folk jump in with suggestions, perhaps it would be worth considering what the purpose of Automatix is. I totally disagree with those mentioning Beryl, Envy, MythTV etc unless the Automatix goalposts have moved.

I always thought the aim of Automatix was to aid a newbie in getting a basic system up and running. For example helping with the installation of codecs, Azureus, Realplayer, Adobe Acrobat etc, Interesting as the above projects are, these are advanced features. So I wouldn't necessarily expect a newbie to jump in and install Beryl for instance. On the other hand, if you're thinking of developing an "Advanced" Automatix then these would fit perfectly.

:cool:

shareMenaPeace
February 26th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Before folk jump in with suggestions, perhaps it would be worth considering what the purpose of Automatix is. I totally disagree with those mentioning Beryl, Envy, MythTV etc unless the Automatix goalposts have moved.

I always thought the aim of Automatix was to aid a newbie in getting a basic system up and running. For example helping with the installation of codecs, Azureus, Realplayer, Adobe Acrobat etc, Interesting as the above projects are, these are advanced features. So I wouldn't necessarily expect a newbie to jump in and install Beryl for instance. On the other hand, if you're thinking of developing an "Advanced" Automatix then these would fit perfectly.

:cool:
But isn't it easyer for "anyone" to have 1 tool - 1 manual download to make the system install automaticly?

And the "beryl is only for advanced user", is as i unerstand more because not all hardware is easy to setup. And this would done by automatix.

And i think because of automatix we have more people turining away from windows.

When i started i used automatix and i consider it a big time saving. Im very happy it exists.

People want to press a few buttons to install everything and use the computer.

Also because of automatix it is really easy and fast to setup many computers.

A big improvement would be to integrate automatix into UBUNTU per default. THe user could than "checkbox" "I hereby agree to the terms of bla bla bla".

Cheers

ps.
Nice to see the site is back.

JimmyJazz
February 26th, 2007, 05:58 AM
wow great to see alot of people throwing out suggestions here, a few have already been considered for the upcoming (major) release (like the automatic updating feature). Beryl/Compiz is found in Automatix Bleeder and will probably stay that way, the goal of Automatix has always been to play it safe and (try) to never break the users system, perhaps in the future Beryl and Compiz will be at a stable enough point to add to the main releases of AX. Sorry about site being down we would love to have mirrors and such however since Automatix has such a large user base and in turn uses alot of bandwidth this leads to a certain bit of cost in maintaining servers, hopefully in the future we will be able to have more options as far as that goes. Keep the suggestions coming.

Spr0k3t
February 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I have a thought which would make Automatix worth every second of usage.

Package management at an enterprise level, consisting of archival, repository, and cross management. One thing I see lacking at the enterprise level of Linux management is just that, management. What about pressing Automatix into the great beyond by distributing packages across an enterprise of computer systems running a general setup (such as the default install from a live disc). Then, manage the application levels based on group policies. So across the network, everyone gets the OOo, but only this select group of computers in the graphics department get InkScape.

Second phase of this, build an API to allow third parties interested in this Automatix deployment to build their own "drop in" script to allow for enterprise wide management. But stick true to what I previously requested... make the script completely open to those interested in knowing what happens behind the scenes.

Accomplish this, and I would definately use Automatix first.

Jou Moer
February 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
A bit off-topic: As I'm still new on the Linux front, I still have a lot of "Windows Mentality" and thus for me Automatix is like manna from Heaven. I have always found installing any application very hard to accomplish in Linux, and that, in my opinion is where a lot of people turn away from Linux.

By this I mean if there is a specific application that you want to install that you have downloaded from somewhere, or is not available in the repositories, you first have to search forums and Google to find the correct way of doing so. A lot of applications are available in Synaptics, but their names are so cryptic a lot of times, you're not sure if it is what you want or not.

As where with Windows, it's just download the executable or pop the CD in your drive, double-click it then "Install, Next, Next Finish." and your application is installed in the correct folders etc.

FaceorKneecaps
February 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I would be less confused if Automatix showed me what is already installed. One example is having installed software marked on startup. That way I would use automatix for easy removal and new install when flash and java updates are released.

lyceum
February 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM
wow great to see alot of people throwing out suggestions here, a few have already been considered for the upcoming (major) release (like the automatic updating feature). Beryl/Compiz is found in Automatix Bleeder and will probably stay that way, the goal of Automatix has always been to play it safe and (try) to never break the users system, perhaps in the future Beryl and Compiz will be at a stable enough point to add to the main releases of AX. Sorry about site being down we would love to have mirrors and such however since Automatix has such a large user base and in turn uses alot of bandwidth this leads to a certain bit of cost in maintaining servers, hopefully in the future we will be able to have more options as far as that goes. Keep the suggestions coming.

This is a good idea (keeping it in the bleeder) I think there could be a compromise by adding a "beta/at your own risk" for people new, wanting to learn and looking for an easier install. I would really love to see a 3D section with looking glass as well as compiz & beryl. It seems like the beta stuff is just out of reach for new users.

And thanks to you and the other developers for all of your hard work! :guitar:

for my own personal request, could you add Aptana? You have Bluefish (I am guessing because yours in more up to date than add/removes?), but I like to use both. Thanks!

LSparky
March 1st, 2007, 02:06 AM
envy rocks!

jimmyjazz what do you think of ubuntu's move with linspires CNR integration?

carlb
March 1st, 2007, 03:53 AM
First let me say that Automatix solved some problems installing Nvidia video and codecs that I struggled with for weeks on two systems I recently built. Kudos to Automatix!

My wish list would be the following. These are all centered around multimedia needs.

1. Installing LIRC and configuring it to handle the remote model would be a major help. I am still struggling to get a Soundgraph iMON remote pad and its USB receiver working.

2. Installing PHPadmin correctly with MYSQL and getting the messy password issues resolved as part of the install would be wonderful. I am still scratching my head trying to figure that out without corrupting MYSQL in the process.

3. Installing and streamlining the NTP server setup. Why is it necessary for everyday users to go in and pick time servers? Select install time servers for a time zone and it should auto configure itself. Frankly, I even wonder why Ubuntu just doesn't install it as a normal function anyway when the time zone is selected.

4. MYTHTV user setup. While I am not sure actually installing MYTHTV via Automatix makes sense, having the ability to resolve the user/password/group issues would be a boon. This would involve MYSQL, PHPadmin, mythweb, and mythtv. You could throw SAMBA into that mix as well. Just read the various Ubuntu documentation around installing these application to see how complex this process is for a normal user who wants to get it set up in a few minutes.

Thanks for asking for suggestions.

brokenhallelujah
March 1st, 2007, 07:48 AM
I second the Samba idea --

As a *fairly* competent Ubuntu desktop user who started out using Automatix to get things going quickly, it would be helpful to have a graphical configuration tool worth its salt as an option for Samba. For folks transitioning from Windows, it would make Ubuntu a much more practical and desireable option as well...

Most desktop users want a fairly simple "share" option that just works. Automatix has done a good job of "just works" in the past, and I think this feature might contribute some quick functionality to the networking and basic server stuff.

Thanks again for asking in the first place.

graabein
March 1st, 2007, 09:29 AM
I would like a collaboration with Envy (http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) and install of LIRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIRC) and web cameras.

lyceum
April 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Flex

e00878
April 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM
ati x1600 drivers

fuscia
April 27th, 2007, 08:55 PM
i've already mentioned to arnie about doing some more kde stuff (i know you're all gnome centric). scratchpad would be a good thing to add and maybe a current version of kazehakase.