PDA

View Full Version : Love the Beryl water effects!

RAV TUX
February 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
The Beryl water effects are simply awesome!

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/1059/snapshot15lr9.th.png (http://img468.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot15lr9.png)

FyreBrand
February 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I'm not a big fan of that. In fact I usually turn off wobbly windows and other such stuff. It's a bit too much for me.

What I really like is the improved alt-tab feature and the scale tool. I do use funky effects for minimizing and closing windows, but that's about it.

kevinf311
February 25th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I caught the cursor effect in mine :p

I'm still up in the air about the water effects. The window wave is kinda distracting, but the cursor one is quite useful (I loose the position of it sometimes). I may turn off the window wave, but I like playing with it when I don't have anything to do.

One effect I don't use is the blur effect. I got Beryl partly for the cube and partly for true transparency. If the text below the window I'm using is blurred, then it's difficult to copy over from the page below. Easy enough to turn off though. Customization, one of the best features I've found in Linux.

Ob1
February 25th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Is it a plugin?

RAV TUX
February 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Is it a plugin?it should be a standard option you can select.

kevinf311
February 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Is it a plugin?

Beryl or the water effects?

Beryl is a 3D windows manager that utilizes 3D acceleration to create effects around events like changing workspace, dragging/(un)maximizing/(un)minimizing/dropping windows, and a bunch of others.

The water effects are included in Beryl. I'm not sure at what version they started as I've only used 1.99.2 (i'm still scared of the 1.9999.2 updates, they're what is contained in the orange update square ;) ) and it was included with that version.

[edit] Rav beat me to it, I was distracted by Futurama

shareMenaPeace
February 25th, 2007, 08:19 AM
You can enable it under extras of this beryl settings and the shortcut is <SUPER> (Windoooooze key) and <CTRL> i think.

<SHIFT> F9 and F8 are rain effects...

Cheers

kevinf311
February 25th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Super+F3 does snow for me.

The cursor effect on mine is binded to Ctrl+Super

Adamant1988
February 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I'm more into the effects that help me work. like the cube.

shareMenaPeace
February 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Super+F3 does snow for me.

The cursor effect on mine is binded to Ctrl+Super

You been to quick reading my post :) I corrected it right in time, hihi.

kevinf311
February 25th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Some call it cat-like reflexes...

...I call it boredom of insomniac levels.

I actually had forgotten the rain binding, so that made me happy :)

shareMenaPeace
February 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Some call it cat-like reflexes...

...I call it boredom of insomniac levels.

I actually had forgotten the rain binding, so that made me happy :)

hihi,
oh and than i have to add aswell there is another rain effect this "window wave" aswell, which is disabled per default and has no shortcut.

manmower
February 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I'm more into the effects that help me work. like the cube.
How does the cube help you work? I never found it as useful as Gnome/KDE's own multiple desktops.

xpod
February 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I cant get the water effects on my beryl due to lack of pixel shading abilities apparently:confused: otherwise known as a "sh*te graphics cards" to my more basic understanding of such things:)

Dont really need no super card myself though as i dont really play games and these nvidia mx4000`s run the rest of beryl perfectly well on the pc`s they do and they do our needs quite ok..........for now.

It`s only when you start using beryl for a while and tweaking all it`s settings that you eventually start to see the usefulness of the thing...not that theres much but there is a bit:)

epimer
February 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
manmower, I've always found the cube to be more useful than the "default" multiple desktops simply because of the spatial arrangement - I find it more useful to think that my e-mail client is to my right and my terminals etc. are to my left. Being able to smoothly drag and drop windows onto other faces of the cube just compounds this. Makes the whole thing a bit less abstract and hence easier to use, for me at least.

But you weren't asking me. Sorry to hijack a reply!

manmower
February 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM
manmower, I've always found the cube to be more useful than the "default" multiple desktops simply because of the spatial arrangement - I find it more useful to think that my e-mail client is to my right and my terminals etc. are to my left. Being able to smoothly drag and drop windows onto other faces of the cube just compounds this. Makes the whole thing a bit less abstract and hence easier to use, for me at least.

But you weren't asking me. Sorry to hijack a reply!

No problem, you make some valid points. It's just that the Gnome switcher shows what is open on all desktops and switches to any one of them with a single click. I've never gotten Beryl to play nice with the built-in switcher, which means click and drag to get to the needed desktop, or using a shortcut e.g. mousewheel on the sides of the screen rotates the cube. Even then you still have to pass an unwanted desktop if you want to go to the opposite side of the cube, and you lose time by rotating anyway.

Regarding the spatial arrangement, using ctrl-alt-shift-left/right to move windows pretty much gives me enough "spatial" feeling, but I guess we're talking personal preferences here.

Still wanting to hear from Adamant1988 and others too, I have a hard time believing Beryl in its current state does anything to help working efficiently. If it wants to become the ubiquitous WM, in my opinion it will have to focus on basics first, e.g. scrolling and resizing are horribly slow, and I've tried it on both ATI and NVIDIA cards with all other plugins turned off.

picpak
February 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM
*siiiigh* I really gotta stop reading these topics. If only I had a supported video card.

pjbgravely
February 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I still can't wait to see the water effects. Everything else works but the water effects still do nothing for me. I am guessing it is because of the integrated ATI chip on my laptop, running with the radeon driver

Zuuswa
February 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I have a 5 button mouse, and together with beryl I am much more efficient than with regular Gnome/Kde. I have button 4 set to move windows, so that I can click anywhere on the window and it will grab & move. Button 5 is like a thumb trigger on the mouse, and it activates rotate cube, so I can instantly see all my open windows through the transparant cube with just 1 click!

The water effects are pretty, but they tend to eat up my cpu so I always have them off.

rolando2424
February 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Dont really need no super card myself though as i dont really play games and these nvidia mx4000`s run the rest of beryl perfectly well on the pc`s they do and they do our needs quite ok..........for now.

I use the same card, so I can't use the water effects either...

But there was a thing called xdesktopwaves I think that could create a similiar effect...

Except that the effect looks ugly :(

manmower
February 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I have a 5 button mouse, and together with beryl I am much more efficient than with regular Gnome/Kde. I have button 4 set to move windows, so that I can click anywhere on the window and it will grab & move.I have a three button mouse and use Alt+Click to move so I can't really comment on this. But I'm sure KWin could be configured to do the same. Not so sure about Metacity though.

Button 5 is like a thumb trigger on the mouse, and it activates rotate cube, so I can instantly see all my open windows through the transparant cube with just 1 click!How is this more efficient than only having to glance at the switcher?

spockrock
February 25th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I like the move and drop window wave option for water.

RAV TUX
February 25th, 2007, 07:11 PM
How does the cube help you work? I never found it as useful as Gnome/KDE's own multiple desktops.the scroll button set to spin the cube is nice, just makes it easier and faster to switch between desktops. So if you are working on multiple projects at once you can easily be more efficient.

RAV TUX
February 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I have a 5 button mouse, and together with beryl I am much more efficient than with regular Gnome/Kde. I have button 4 set to move windows, so that I can click anywhere on the window and it will grab & move. Button 5 is like a thumb trigger on the mouse, and it activates rotate cube, so I can instantly see all my open windows through the transparant cube with just 1 click!

The water effects are pretty, but they tend to eat up my cpu so I always have them off.only 5 buttons? I use a 7 button mouse:)

Zuuswa
February 25th, 2007, 07:58 PM
7 button mouse . . . /me drools.

What do you have them bound to?

How is this more efficient than only having to glance at the switcher?

I think that the icons in the switcher are too small for my liking. But, I think thats all a matter of personal preferance :)

rolando2424
February 26th, 2007, 12:19 AM
A 7 button mouse... For a 5 finger hand (at least the way it was designed to be :D)

RAV TUX
February 26th, 2007, 01:41 AM
7 button mouse . . . /me drools.

What do you have them bound to?

I think that the icons in the switcher are too small for my liking. But, I think thats all a matter of personal preferance :)I honestly haven't taken the time to customize after my most recent install a few days ago. I use a Razer Copperhead. (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/)

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2893/razercopperheadblueye9.jpg

macogw
February 26th, 2007, 01:54 AM
No problem, you make some valid points. It's just that the Gnome switcher shows what is open on all desktops and switches to any one of them with a single click. I've never gotten Beryl to play nice with the built-in switcher, which means click and drag to get to the needed desktop, or using a shortcut e.g. mousewheel on the sides of the screen rotates the cube. Even then you still have to pass an unwanted desktop if you want to go to the opposite side of the cube, and you lose time by rotating anyway.

Regarding the spatial arrangement, using ctrl-alt-shift-left/right to move windows pretty much gives me enough "spatial" feeling, but I guess we're talking personal preferences here.

Still wanting to hear from Adamant1988 and others too, I have a hard time believing Beryl in its current state does anything to help working efficiently. If it wants to become the ubiquitous WM, in my opinion it will have to focus on basics first, e.g. scrolling and resizing are horribly slow, and I've tried it on both ATI and NVIDIA cards with all other plugins turned off.

On GNOME's desktop switcher, going from 1 to 4 means ctrl alt right right right, but on beryl you can ctrl alt left and be there

I hate RAV's mice! They move way way way TOO FAST!

kevinf311
February 26th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I like fast mice.

Mine covers 1024 pixels in about 2 inches. It's a good compliment to a messy cluttered desk, as there is only about 6 inches between my spool of backup disks and my current can of coke.

RAV TUX
February 26th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I like fast mice.

Mine covers 1024 pixels in about 2 inches. It's a good compliment to a messy cluttered desk, as there is only about 6 inches between my spool of backup disks and my current can of coke.

here are my mouse specs:

Razer Copperhead™ Technical Specifications
2000 DPI Laser Engine Powered by Razer Precision™
1000 Hz Ultrapolling™ with 1 ms response time as compared with 125Hz/8 ms response time used by other conventional gaming mice
32KB Onboard Memory Powered by Razer Synapse™
7 independently programmable buttons optimized with Razer’s Hyperesponse™ technology for ultra tactile button feedback and maximum actions-per-minute (APM) gameplay
Zero-Acoustic Ultraslick™ Teflon feet
16 bit data path, as compared to 8 bit and 12 bit data paths used by other conventional mice
High speed motion detection, up to 45ips and 20g / Over 7080 frames per second
Always-On™ mode pioneered by Razer™ - the laser engine sensor never powers down to provide instantaneous response at all times during gameplay
Award winning Razer™ drivers featuring On-the-Fly Sensitivity™ DPI adjustment pioneered by Razer
Size: 5.04" length x 2.5" width x 1.54" height
GlowPipe™ non-slip side rails
Ergonomic ambidextrous design
Ultra large non-slip rubber coated mouse buttons
Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity
7 foot, lightweight, non-tangle cord
http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/

as you can see it is quite the mouse.

kevinf311
February 26th, 2007, 03:43 AM
That is a mighty fine mouse.

I have the Logitech Easy Call Desktop (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=12129) which is wireless, so I don't quite have the response of yours. It does have nifty "zoom" buttons and side scrolling.

My roommate and I are trying to write a Keyboard layout for this so that the VoIP buttons and speaker phone/receiver will be functional. We've hit a bit of a snag as most of the VoIP buttons don't send a keycode (at least not ones that xev picks up). I'm hopeful that we will get it completed though, I'll be sure to let everyone know when we have something functional.

[edit] Whee rain effect!

shareMenaPeace
February 26th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Razer Copperhead. (http://www.razerzone.com/Products/Gaming-Mice/Razer-Copperhead-Gaming-Mouse/)

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2893/razercopperheadblueye9.jpg

Wow, i was wondering what mouse you have and than i find out i have the same mouse (in alien green). I never counted the buttons and only use like 3? :)
Btw, do you use "razertool-gtk"? Maybe you know another tool as it does't feature all options yet, but it works pretty well for me.

Cheers

RAV TUX
February 26th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Wow, i was wondering what mouse you have and than i find out i have the same mouse (in alien green). I never counted the buttons and only use like 3? :)
Btw, do you use "razertool-gtk"? Maybe you know another tool as it does't feature all options yet, but it works pretty well for me.

CheersI haven't used "razertool-gtk" but thanks for the heads up. I was just wondering what would happen if I tried the Razer software through WINE?

spockrock
February 26th, 2007, 08:14 PM
yeah that is a nice mouse, but I prefer wireless I have the mx5000 set from logitech, I love it....

RAV TUX
February 27th, 2007, 01:03 AM
yeah that is a nice mouse, but I prefer wireless I have the mx5000 set from logitech, I love it....
I only use corded mice.

macogw
February 27th, 2007, 06:03 AM
I only use corded mice.

corded mice switched you to linux

RAV TUX
February 27th, 2007, 06:21 AM
corded mice switched you to linuxha LOL, you are correct since my bunny ate through my mouse cord...

You could say my bunny switched me to Linux.