PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu so far ~ Thanks

Mart
May 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I'm not a linux expert and yes, I still used Windows more often than any other OS due mostly to the fact it is what I have setup at work. Recently, since I work for a non-profit agency, I've been looking into alternatives to Microsoft office. I had used linux in the past, Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, and a few others plus the *BSD packs and thought that Open Office would be a good alternate to 450$ a pop for 200 users.

Well, that moved me to thinking about just replacing Microsoft as a whole and then led me here to sample ubuntu. For that I'm thankful. After only using ubuntu for a week I have to admit this has been the easiest and most plesant experiance I've had with Linux. The install was quick and almost painless. The only issue I had was screen resolution and with the laptop I use every version of linux had the same problem. The single disk download is great. Not being familiar with Debian did not hold me back one bit. All in all a great experiance so far.

Thanks,

Marty

PS anyone know of a good Debian based book? All of the linux books I have and not one of them covers Debian.

jasmuz
May 25th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Im glad you have had a nice experience with Ubuntu...

For some Linux books, browse here...there are general security and Debian.
http://files.nixp.ru/books/unix/linux/

Take care

tread
May 25th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Also, if you could state what problem you had with the resolution, and the hardware involved, this forum might be able to help you.

Mart
May 25th, 2005, 07:16 PM
The forum already helped with the issue.

I tried for 24 vs 16 color, guess my laptop didn't like that idea. :)

Thanks again.

poofyhairguy
May 25th, 2005, 07:20 PM
The only issue I had was screen resolution and with the laptop I use every version of linux had the same problem.

If its an old laptop you need to edit xorg:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and change the default depth to 16.

Mart
May 25th, 2005, 09:03 PM
It is already working, I did have to change the xorg.conf file thanks to a poster in another thread. So far though it has worked fine on everything else the video worked just not at the resolution level I liked.

I love the fact that installed it only took about 1.5G vs FC3 that took almost 3G. With an old laptop that has a 4G drive that helps out a lot. This was using default installs I'm sure they both can be tweeked.