PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I've exhausted myself with Themes...

Koori23
February 25th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Odd but true... I'm a gnomelook.org addict I guess. I don't use Beryl or Compiz or anything so I don't deal with any of those things. But seriously, I change my theme at least twice a day. I've gotten so frustrated with it that I just went straight clearlooks with a solid color background.. I can never decide on what to use!!! I typically center around Alphacube GTK or Milky themes..

This is my sickness, I need a rehab or something because it's driving me nuts. I change wallpapers a lot too.. Am I the only one who can't decide on anything?

NewOldTimer
February 25th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I was gonna say yes but now I'm not sure :)

Koori23
February 25th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I was gonna say yes but now I'm not sure :)

Ha!!!.. Good one

BarfBag
February 25th, 2007, 05:50 AM
YES! My PC feels alien if every pixel isn't perfect. I'm not a theme or Beryl addict - the default Ubuntu theme is just fine. I'm more of an icon and wallpaper freak. At the most, my wallpapers last two days.

NewOldTimer
February 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM
all kidding aside, I'm right there in the same boat, I find a background I like....then need to change icons,panel colors..etc etc It's no wonder why I don't get anything accomplished anymore :lolflag:

johnc4510
February 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Well, I love mine to be correct, but I only change it once a week, on Sunday's. But it includes everything. Besides all of the things mentioned above I also change xmms, conky and firefox. I almost always change the default trash can and I have custom icons on my top panel. But I love doing it. Here's a screenshot if anyones interested.

yabbadabbadont
February 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I pretty much stick with one theme, but I'm a wallpaper junkie. Over 50,000 so far and I have custom scripts that I run via cronjob to change the background randomly every five minutes. :lol:

johnc4510
February 25th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I can't even come close to 50k. I'd have to have a script too, because it would take me forever to try and decide which one I was going to use.

yabbadabbadont
February 25th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I can't even come close to 50k. I'd have to have a script too, because it would take me forever to try and decide which one I was going to use.

/home/bubba $ df -h /media/walls/
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda7 12G 7.2G 4.7G 61% /media/walls
/home/bubba $ cat .wallpaperlist | wc -l
Oops. It looks like I've passed the 60,000 mark since the last time I checked. :lol:

johnc4510
February 25th, 2007, 06:21 AM
I'm kind of partial to the diviant art web site. Do you have any particular sites you like?

yabbadabbadont
February 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM
I'm kind of partial to the diviant art web site. Do you have any particular sites you like?

I like DeviantArt, but they require javascript to see the full view of the images. (and I won't enable it for them) They also require that you signup for an account in order to view images that they consider mature. (and I won't do that either, even if it is free) :( I miss the old deviantart. They definitely went downhill after they forced out that one guy (I forget his name now :oops:).

Most of my collection comes from skins.be and sexydesktop.co.uk. I have every one of their 1024x768 images.

ComplexNumber
February 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Odd but true... I'm a gnomelook.org addict I guess. I don't use Beryl or Compiz or anything so I don't deal with any of those things. But seriously, I change my theme at least twice a day. I've gotten so frustrated with it that I just went straight clearlooks with a solid color background.. I can never decide on what to use!!! I typically center around Alphacube GTK or Milky themes..

This is my sickness, I need a rehab or something because it's driving me nuts. I change wallpapers a lot too.. Am I the only one who can't decide on anything?
design your own themes and colour mods. thats what i've been doing recently. today i've made a set of 12 grey themes where everything is some shade of grey and each of the 12 themes goes progressively from light to dark. they're all colour mods of Candido-carbon.

rko618
February 25th, 2007, 06:33 AM
if you are a customization junkie then I recommend you stay away from beryl. The sheer number of options in beryl that you can play with are uncountable. I used to spend hours tweaking my ubuntu desktop and now I spend hours tweaking beryl.

Morbett
February 25th, 2007, 06:56 AM
design your own themes and colour mods. thats what i've been doing recently. today i've made a set of 12 grey themes where everything is some shade of grey and each of the 12 themes goes progressively from light to dark. they're all colour mods of Candido-carbon.

Where can I get those buttons? Did you design them?

ComplexNumber
February 25th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Where can I get those buttons? Did you design them?
no, i didn't design them. unfortunately, i've only got to the colour modding stage. i'm quite inexperienced when it comes to modding, although i want to improve.
the metacity theme you see is called _Color. i've had it ages. i've just done a search on gnome-look and located it again. here (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=34767) is a link. there is a similar one with smaller buttons called elsin(or something similar)

Morbett
February 25th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info.

Rhapsody
February 25th, 2007, 08:03 AM
After a long period of instability, my themes finally stabilized a few months ago. However, a hard drive crash put paid to that, so I had to rebuild. Thankfully, I remembered most of it, and finding my old wallpapers for all (http://firefoxy.vegard2.no/thunderbird_002_ko_&firefox_ko_1024x768.html) four (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23866865/?qo=31&q=by%3Ajuzo-kun&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps) desk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicate_Arch)tops (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=37604) proved easier than I thought it would. Now, to get all of my hardware working this well...

fuscia
February 25th, 2007, 08:55 AM
But seriously, I change my theme at least twice a day.

wow! i'd get bored to death if i only changed my theme twice a day. i'm not sure the ubuntu cafe is the best place to look for help for this kind of problem.

RAV TUX
February 26th, 2007, 05:58 AM

This is my sickness, I need a rehab or something because it's driving me nuts. I change wallpapers a lot too.. Am I the only one who can't decide on anything?Beryl themes would be like crack for you, good thing your not that weak.

kerry_s
February 26th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Yep, i know that feeling, i've gone through all the looks, tried just about every de/wm i could, even tweaked and twisted everything to make me feel better. Now i just say screw it and use straight black, you can't go wrong with black. :) I even gone so far as to make my menu dirt simple, no distractions.

seijuro
February 26th, 2007, 06:26 AM
currently my kdesktop is set to cycle through my 200some collection of wallpapers every 5 minutes and when I get bored of that (roughly once a week) I fire up Gimp and make a new one to add to the collection. I have some of the ones I've made posted on my website in my sig some are NSFW though so be aware if you decide to go take a look.

hizaguchi
February 26th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I used to switch themes daily too, but lately I've just settled on Murrina-Calla (with the blue text removed) with a Rezlooks Beryl theme and OSX icons. Now my obsession is finding perfect icons for everything. You wouldn't believe what a difference some nice notification area icons can make. :)

viper
February 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Yep i change themes, icons, wallpaper just about every couple of days also.
My wife is starting to get a tad pi@#%d off with me because she gets comfy with one then its all different again :)
She wont let me pick colors around the house, so i have my vengeance here..............:lolflag:

alican timur
February 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I like DeviantArt, but they require javascript to see the full view of the images. (and I won't enable it for them) They also require that you signup for an account in order to view images that they consider mature. (and I won't do that either, even if it is free) :( I miss the old deviantart. They definitely went downhill after they forced out that one guy (I forget his name now :oops:).

Most of my collection comes from skins.be and sexydesktop.co.uk. I have every one of their 1024x768 images.

the guy was called jark the yellow alien. he's back in though.. i guess.

ghowells
February 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yep, i know that feeling, i've gone through all the looks, tried just about every de/wm i could, even tweaked and twisted everything to make me feel better. Now i just say screw it and use straight black, you can't go wrong with black. :) I even gone so far as to make my menu dirt simple, no distractions.

Nice screenshot. Which XFCE theme do you use or did you create a custom one? Thanks :)