PDA

View Full Version : Java programming error - NoSuchMethodError: main

solarjeep
February 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I've searched the forums for similar problems but none seem the same scenario as mine, just the same outcome (same error message).

I'm using java version 1.6. I'm learning java. I've been writing several simple programs for several days. They compile fine. Run fine. Until today.

I create a new program, compile it with no errors. Run it and get this error:

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main"

I run a program that I created, compiled and ran yesterday and it runs fine again today. If I recompile it (no errors) it won't run. Same error message.

Here is one of the programs copied from my Root.java file (this is from a book I'm using to learn Java):

class Root {
public static void main(String[] arguments){
int number = 625;
System.out.println("The square root of "
+ number
+ " is "
+ Math.sqrt(number) ) ;
}
}

The most important thing is that everything was working fine yesterday. Same programs today run unless I recompile them. I haven't changed anything. Help!

Ragazzo
February 25th, 2007, 01:21 AM
How are you compiling and trying to run it?

solarjeep
February 25th, 2007, 01:28 AM
from console:

compile:

javac Root.java

run:

java Root

I'm in the directory with the *.java and *.class files. This is the same way I've been doing it for a week now without a problem.

Enselic
February 25th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Make sure the compiler and the VM have the same (major) version, i.e. compare javac -version with java -version. If you use 1.6, both compiler and VM should be of this version.

solarjeep
February 25th, 2007, 01:55 AM
ok, I checked that. Here's the output (I'm not sure the proper way to "quote" this here I hope this is right.

checking java version output =

java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)

checking javac version output =

javac -version
javac 1.6.0

solarjeep
February 25th, 2007, 04:37 AM
On a wild guess -

I created a source file in a different folder. It compiled AND ran correctly.
Hmm.
So, I went to my original folder and deleted all the files in it (about 40 files). Created a new program and it compiled and ran correctly. Created a couple more and no problems. Moved all the original files back to the original folder. Tried to compile and run programs - I get the same error as before. Delete all the files but one or two, they compile and run with no errors.

This is wierd. It seems that there is a limit to the number of files I can have in a folder until I start getting errors in running a java program. I'm not sure what the threshold is (between 6 and 40). What's the connection?

I'm not going to mark this as resolved yet since I have only found a workaround not a solution. Anyone have any ideas?

dxxvi
February 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM
What does

echo $CLASSPATH

say?

Ragazzo
February 25th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Do you have only one class per file (public and non-public)? For example if you have

Test.java:

class Test {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("hello world");
}
}

Test2.java

class Test2 {
public static void main(String[] args) {
}
}
class Test {
}

~> javac Test.java
~> java Test
hello world
~> javac Test2.java
~> java Test
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main

solarjeep
February 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
What does

echo $CLASSPATH

say?

I get nothing. A blank line then back to prompt.

solarjeep
February 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Do you have only one class per file (public and non-public)?

Yes, only one class per file. Everything I have done so far is very basic.

Ragazzo
February 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Yes, only one class per file. Everything I have done so far is very basic.

If you run "javap -verbose Root" and "javap -verbose OldRoot", where Root is the non-working version and OldRoot is the working one, it should print some info about the class files. Look for SourceFile, minor version and major version at the top of the listing and check if there is any difference in them.