PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu and why

Supergoo
February 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM
First let me say I am glad to be here,

I am a old computer nerd who used DOS,Windows 3.11,OS/2,and Windows95/98/NT/XP/Vista
I also own a Intel Based iMac running OSX, I have dabbled in earlier Linux but had various results.
I am not real happy with Vista alot of assorted problems starting with the install and running to drivers and programs, I help older people and other people who can not afford new state of the art equipment or only use their computers to surf the web and writing letters and other light work.

Ubuntu seems to be the answer , it is free fairly solid OS and will run on low cost Hardware, There are alot of perfectly good low cost hardware and older systems that can be used.
Cost wise alot of people can not afford a iMac or even a New PC and if they can the cost of ownership is something that they do not take into account, examples are the following Firewall,anti virus, Programs like Microsoft Office ect ect, Most do not know there are other programs out there, Then you got to look at the long haul, the Windows based machine has alot of problems with spyware,malware,virus ect ect. OSX as a OS is very good and I use it all the time as my main machine but then again it is not a open os and is closed as Apple Computer makes both the software and the hardware, One of the problems is that will only let you customize it so much, because you are living someone else idea of what they like, and this even goes for Windows based system to some extent. Ubuntu changes that and I am excited about how much I can do with it. Sure there is a learning curve,but I get such a huge sense of satisfaction knowing I fixed the problem and understand alittle more on how my OS works and how to fix it. I am happy to be here with everybody and hope to learn even more abouot this incredule OS and how I can make it better and encourage other people to try, I am also looking forward to assembling a machine for one of my older friends using low cost but new hardware.
I am thinking about a machine with 512meg ram 80 gig drive DVD player,sound card in a mini tower maybe using onboard video or a nice low cost card for video,partner that with a 17" monitor and I think it will rock, if it works out I am planning to make these low cost machines for people who really need them expamples are senior citzens,poor families ( for the children to do school work),Churchs, and even small private schools for their computer labs.

I have also decided that I will supply free Ubuntu Disks to people who want them at no cost, I am just now working on how to get that going :popcorn:

I look forward to learning more

Supergoo

shareMenaPeace
February 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I look forward to learning more

Welcome!

I just want to point out something "odd" :)
Maybe try to start each sentences with a diffrent term and not always with your id eg. "I".

Thats make it more intresting to read and its not so "myself perspective" focus.

Sorry if this sounds rude in someway just thought i point this out as you asked for a "learn".

Cheers and have a wonderful weekend

Sammi
February 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Fantastic. You seem to be exactly the type of person that Ubuntu is made for. Ubuntu should deliver to your expectations because you seem open minded and willing to learn new stuff. All the best luck, and don't forget to ask questions or just search this forum if you are wondering about anything specific, there are plenty of people in here who would love to point you in the right direction :D

Tomosaur
February 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hi and welcome to the community. I hope you have a good time with Ubuntu, and good luck with getting others set up with it. There are lots of variations on Ubuntu, so you can target different communities and groups with versions aimed at them. Most of the offshoots aren't 'official'. The only official versions are Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, and Ubuntu server-edition. If you plan to show off Ubuntu to schools - perhaps Edubuntu could be useful. It's aimed more at children, and provides some great educational applications and games. Kubuntu uses KDE, while Xubuntu uses XFCE. These are two different desktop environments, so people can see which ones they prefer.

Hope to see you around :)