PDA

View Full Version : Internet browser with email support

slugkilla
February 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone, my mom fights with windows xp home everyday, so I'm trying to convince her to let me put a hard drive with Linux on it in her PC. The biggest thing for her needs are an internet browser with an icon on it for mail, like how IE handles mail through OE. I apologize for all my use of windows terms in a Linux forum. :) So does anyone know of a good app/app pair for her? Any advise on other apps that are good for a windows convert would be great. Thanks!

tbroderick
February 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM
mozilla

weatherman
February 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM
kubuntu instead of ubuntu, I've found out it makes big difference.
sorry I don't know how ie handles mail... maybe you could post a screenshot.

slugkilla
February 24th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks. I use Mozilla Firefox and like it a lot. Do you know if there is a way configure it to do email?

Tomosaur
February 24th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Check out Seamonkey (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/)!. It's a really nice browser - uses the Gecko engine (same as Firefox), and aims to be a full internet suite. It also loads faster (for me) and just seems like an all round better browser. The default skin is a bit ugly - reminiscent of the old netscape browser, but it has a more modern one, it's just not the default.

FyreBrand
February 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hey everyone, my mom fights with windows xp home everyday, so I'm trying to convince her to let me put a hard drive with Linux on it in her PC. The biggest thing for her needs are an internet browser with an icon on it for mail, like how IE handles mail through OE. I apologize for all my use of windows terms in a Linux forum. :) So does anyone know of a good app/app pair for her? Any advise on other apps that are good for a windows convert would be great. Thanks!Windows can be configured to default to any mail program. So if you click the mail link in IE it can still default to Thunderbird or whatever you want.

If you are looking for an integrated application for Windows I would look at Sea Monkey or Opera. Both of them have integrated mail.

If you decide to migrate to Linux, again it doesn't matter what flavor you choose (gnome, kde, xfce) because you can choose the default mail handler no matter what.

linux_kid
February 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM
For your mom, I would give her kubuntu instead of ubuntu, just because it's more similar to Windows. And we all know how much our parents like change. :rolleyes:

slugkilla
February 24th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Great. I think my mom is gonna let me.... "check what kind of memory she has" and then "Run Windows update." So I'll give her kubuntu with opera. Thanks for the help.

linux_kid
February 25th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Your Welcome ;)