PDA

View Full Version : Other than Hardware Requirements, Ubuntu has User Requirements. Let us define it.

wersdaluv
February 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
In order to run Ubuntu on a computer, or any other Operating System for that matter, there are Hardware Requirements. Those requirements are determined by an Operating System's compatibility with a system.

Other than Hardware Requirements, every Operating System also has "Minimum User Requirements." Those requirements are determined by a user's compatibility to using an Operating System. A user's compatibility is determined by the user's attitude, needs, and many others.

In this thread, I want the community to try to define the User Requirements of Ubuntu.

matthew
February 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
A willingness to learn.

An open mind.

An understanding that changing operating systems is usually difficult and will require work.

A realization that there will be bumps in the road that require research, reading, asking questions, and adapting your expectations of how a system "should" be run to expectations of learning how this particular system is run.

Daveski
February 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
The ability not to give up at the first hurdle, or the first time they don't understand something, and then start posting in the forums how Ubuntu is no good.

Potential users need to be aware that they need a different 'mind-set' than 'I paid £300 for the software that runs my machine, it should damn-well work straight out of the box with all my hardware and software requirements.'

karellen
February 24th, 2007, 05:49 PM
- curiosity
- patience
- intelligence
- ability to learn new things
- desire of change

aysiu
February 24th, 2007, 05:56 PM
The ideal user for Ubuntu...

1. Has a fast internet connection (for software installation/updates)
2. Has an open mind (for not making constant comparisons to Windows or Mac)
3. Has time or money (time to install and configure or money for a preinstalled Ubuntu computer)
4. Realizes that learning a new operating system can be a lot like learning a new language. Just because you've mastered and used Windows for 20 years doesn't mean you'll know squat diddly about Ubuntu. Just because you've mastered and used English for 20 years doesn't mean you'll know squat diddly about Chinese.

thomasaaron
February 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
A burning desire to accumulate all the free software your hard drive can hold! :guitar:

tgalati4
February 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
A willingness to take the fight to the enemy. To continue the resistance for the children.

Viva La 'Buntu!

aysiu
February 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
There's an enemy?

Detonate
February 24th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Someone who knows how to use Google and separate the wheat from the chaff.:lolflag: :lolflag:

wersdaluv
February 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
There's an enemy?

Bug #1? LOL :guitar:

wersdaluv
February 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
The ideal user for Ubuntu...

1. Has a fast internet connection (for software installation/updates)
2. Has an open mind (for not making constant comparisons to Windows or Mac)
3. Has time or money (time to install and configure or money for a preinstalled Ubuntu computer)
4. Realizes that learning a new operating system can be a lot like learning a new language. Just because you've mastered and used Windows for 20 years doesn't mean you'll know squat diddly about Ubuntu. Just because you've mastered and used english for 20 years doesn't mean you'll know squat diddly about Chinese.

I agree with this. I believe that, in order for Windows users to successfully switch, they must see these "User Requirements" first for them to know what to expect.

What I can add to this is...
5. If the User does not have the requirements above, it is okay as long as the User has someone with the requirements above or who is already experienced with Ubuntu to do help him/her with using the OS

linux_kid
February 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
1) Time
2) Curiosity
3) Effort
4) Knowledge
5) Kindness
6) Most of All, Ubuntu*

*Ubuntu being in the form of the South African word for "Humanity toward Others"

;)

GameManK
February 25th, 2007, 12:08 AM
In this thread, I want the community to try to define the User Requirements of Ubuntu.

https://code.launchpad.net/codeofconduct/1.0.1

wersdaluv
February 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM
https://code.launchpad.net/codeofconduct/1.0.1

Is there anything that I violated?

NewOldTimer
February 25th, 2007, 12:36 AM
how about a "wantingness" {is that even a word -lol} to learn

linux_kid
February 25th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Is there anything that I violated?
I think he means that the user requirements are already somewhat set and in stone.

GameManK
February 25th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I think he means that the user requirements are already somewhat set and in stone.

Something like that. I meant we already have a defined set of user requirements.