PDA

View Full Version : Linux expo - need help

Obiwan_Nekody
February 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Hello there.

I am a going on my sixth month of being a Linux user, four of which have been with Xubuntu. I am going to a rather small college, and belong to the 'Computer Club' which does a yearly open to the public computer fair. Traditionally there has been a Linux table, but the person who ran it for the past four years is now graduated, so they needed another person. As it so happens, it would appear that I am the only person with ANY significant amount of Linux know-how on campus, let alone in the club, so I am in charge of the table now.

I have quite a bit of freedom for setting up this table, and would like some assistance with ideas and instructions on improving what I have to show them. Links to sites that detail how to tweak the system in obvious visual mannors would be nice. With how much people are drolling over Vista's GUI, it would be nice to be able to show them a much more flashy GUI in Linux, which I *know* is possible even if i am unsure as to how.

I am currently thinking of installing Ubuntu and making gnome more flashy. I don't know how to improve upon Gnome's base looks, but I am quite capable of learning quickly if told where to look.

Currently it looks like the best computer I will have to work with is a Dell Latitude D610, which has
Pentium M 1.86 processor
1 GB system ram
ATI Mobility 300X graphics - 32 MB ram - I know how to put on the ATI drivers already.
60 GB HDD - about 16 GB can be used for this install.
Broadcom networking - I have managed to get a fully working ndiswrapper set up several times, and will have net access at the fair

The fair is on March 21st(Which is right after my spring break, so I may tweak to my heart's content), so that is the time frame I am acting under.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. All constructive suggestions, either with the software on the display computer(s) or other features for the table are quite welcome, as I don't have many ideas. Showcasing is not a skill I can claim.

~neko

markitect
February 23rd, 2007, 11:59 PM
To get things looking pretty check out:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=272104

Also bump to see if anyone can get some Ubuntu Ship-it CDs sent your way in a hurry.
They are always a good way to spread the word. What area do you live in? check out https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList if there is a local team near by they might be of help getting some CDs

I would also suggest getting media codecs (libcss) and some games installed (look for a cvscedega howto) to show everyone that Linux really can do everything windows can.

Minyaliel
February 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Beryl - need I say more?

maniacmusician
February 24th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Yes, if you have the graphics capablities to handle it, Beryl would be great to show off. You should show off not only it's amazing 3D effects, but some of its more productive capabilities as well. For instance the Scale plugin is very useful.

One of the most productive things that recently apeared was "Window Grouping." You can tie certain windows together, place them on Tabs, move them together, etc.

If you do a Beryl presentation, make sure you practice it beforehand. Learn all the shortcuts and gestures so that you know what you're doing. Also print out a sheet with all the shortcuts on it and place it next to the computer so that other people can try things if they want to.