PDA

View Full Version : was reading about HDCP and hardware-level DRM.. looks horrible!!!

billdotson
February 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
HDCP and hardware-level DRM looks horrible. I hate these type of things.

What are your thoughts?

maniacmusician
February 23rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
HDCP and hardware-level DRM looks horrible. I hate these type of things.

What are your thoughts?
That I'm glad I build my own computers

shining
February 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
I cross my fingers for keeping my good old drm-free hardware as long as possible.

w00dchaz
February 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
I've been reading and worrying about that too. Does hardware DRM have the capability of killing Linux?

Hendrixski
February 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
lol. It won't last. The free market will correct this entire DRM nonsense.

Think of it this way. If you buy a song with a particular flavor of DRM on it, and then the company making that DRM goes out of business or changes their format your music collection will not play anymore, thus has ZERO market value. A business model that attempts sell products with no value at a high cost will be ignored by consumers. The same applies to hardware, if your disc drive won't support the next generation of DRM (which can come out 4 months from now) then your player is useless and nobody will buy hardware from you ever again.

The market already rejects DRM in a large amount. Last year online music sales with DRM accounted for $2 billion, and music sales without DRM accounted for $20 Billion. The average iPod has only 3% of its songs are DRM'ed. Steve Jobs published that himself in an open letter, he's against it too. This market rejection will not be contained to music, it will expand into hardware and all.

That's my thoughts.