PDA

View Full Version : When will 5.04 be shipped to the U.S.?

woob
May 25th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I ordered the 5.04 cds what seems like months ago and I have been anxiously awaiting their arrival. I switched my whole family and most of my friends over to linux since december and we are currently using Simply Mepis. I have been telling everyone that we would probably switch to Ubuntu but I cannot seem to find any answer as to when to expect the arrival of 5.04. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Woob

DutchLau
May 25th, 2005, 03:43 AM
I'm also currently waiting for my Ubuntu 5.04 CD's here in Brazil. I ordered them the day 5.04 came out but I still haven't received them :( June 14th I'm moving back to the Netherlands, so I'm scared that the Ubuntu CD's will be shipped to the house in Brazil :-?

The Na Kun
May 25th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Well, I have the 5.04 cds right here in front of me. I'm just too afraid to install it. I want to keep windows xp too, so I would need to create a partition on my hd and all, which I'm too afraid to do.. Yes, I know I'm a noob.. Also, I use AOL, and linux doesn't support it, no? If someone would help me out, I'd be very thankful (yes, I did look, but I'm the kind of dude who needs the step-by-step instructions ;)).

David Kaisemann
May 25th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Well, I have the 5.04 cds right here in front of me. I'm just too afraid to install it. I want to keep windows xp too, so I would need to create a partition on my hd and all, which I'm too afraid to do.. Yes, I know I'm a noob.. Also, I use AOL, and linux doesn't support it, no? If someone would help me out, I'd be very thankful (yes, I did look, but I'm the kind of dude who needs the step-by-step instructions ;)).

Partition Magic for Windows - it is your way to keep win xp "alive" and get a partition for Ubuntu Linux. In fact, if you do all operations right then you don't loos data from win xp partition. Before process to work with your HD, read docs and tutorials for PM and all be fine!

If you need step-by-step instruction then here it is:

Install Partition Magic 8.0 (or later) for Windows.
Create new partition for Ubuntu.
Insert Ubuntu Linux Install CD and boot from it.
Follow by install operations (careful - read all text what you see and do only what you realy need to do).
After install and first run, visit www.ubuntuguide.org
About step 3 - it is good deal if new partition will place at the end of HD (after C:, D:, etc.) and have a Logical type. Read the PM documentation about How to create new partition.

See on forums - somewhere I saw threads like Ubuntu+Windows, Dual boot or something else.

monchichi
May 25th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Have you tried an Ubuntu LiveCD?

If you're that paranoid, just get a new hard drive and install Ubuntu on that! It would cost about the same as buying Partition Magic. Or use the partitioner that's built in to the ubuntu installer, it would probably work fine. I'd recommend defragmenting your windows drive prior to partitioning, also.

and aol.. what does aol give you that you need so bad? aol is nothing. its just a program that encapsulates a bunch of internet programs into one really poorly programmed p.o.s. interface. aim? use gaim! chat? use xchat! mail? use evolution! internet? use firefox! what else does aol offer except a waste of ram?

anyway, if for some strange reason you just can't live without aol, I'm pretty sure it runs in linux with the "wine" wrapper.

Edit: I too have not recieved my ubuntu cd's. doh. I think they got wayyyyy more orders than they anticipated!

Sionide
May 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Give them a chance, they are sending them out for free remember...

The Na Kun
May 25th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Have you tried an Ubuntu LiveCD?

If you're that paranoid, just get a new hard drive and install Ubuntu on that! It would cost about the same as buying Partition Magic. Or use the partitioner that's built in to the ubuntu installer, it would probably work fine. I'd recommend defragmenting your windows drive prior to partitioning, also.

and aol.. what does aol give you that you need so bad? aol is nothing. its just a program that encapsulates a bunch of internet programs into one really poorly programmed p.o.s. interface. aim? use gaim! chat? use xchat! mail? use evolution! internet? use firefox! what else does aol offer except a waste of ram?

anyway, if for some strange reason you just can't live without aol, I'm pretty sure it runs in linux with the "wine" wrapper.

Edit: I too have not recieved my ubuntu cd's. doh. I think they got wayyyyy more orders than they anticipated!

Well, aol gives me access to the internet. You see, I do have a job and make money, but little of it goes to internet, so I need a low paying one like aol. Well, I suppose I could switch, but I'd rather not currently. I don't use their browser anyways, since it just works with IE..

Okay, does anyone know a good free partitioning program? I will probably install it today, pretty soon..

sapo
May 26th, 2005, 02:46 AM
I'm also currently waiting for my Ubuntu 5.04 CD's here in Brazil. I ordered them the day 5.04 came out but I still haven't received them :( June 14th I'm moving back to the Netherlands, so I'm scared that the Ubuntu CD's will be shipped to the house in Brazil :-?

i m in brazil too, and ordered the cds in the first week after the hoary release.. still nothing till now ](*,)

woob
May 26th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Thanks everyone for letting me know that I'm not the only one that has not recieved his cds. Nan, all the live cds I have tried have a partitioning tool built in like QTParted. I have used it to partition at least 20 different harddrives and have had no problems. Defragmenting windows first is critical because windows spreads stuff all over the HD. Knoppix or Simply Mepis are both live cds that you can pick up in books at bookstores. Knoppix Hacks or Point and Click Linux are both good how to books with detailed partitioning directions complete with screen shots. Since hoary is Debian based most of the info will be practical for use with Ubuntu. If these are not available where you are let me know and I will help you find one online or I will write one up for you. Thanks Again All, Woob

parabellum
June 12th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I ordered the 5.04 cds what seems like months ago and I have been anxiously awaiting their arrival. I switched my whole family and most of my friends over to linux since december and we are currently using Simply Mepis. I have been telling everyone that we would probably switch to Ubuntu but I cannot seem to find any answer as to when to expect the arrival of 5.04. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Woob
Has any one recieved their cds yet?