PDA

View Full Version : Why must it be so hard?

Leipe_Po
February 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
i like linux very much, but one thing bothering me is the lack of file structure,
lats couple of days, i'm trying to customize my ubuntu's looks,
now i must say, what a chaos, the way i think the theme system should look:

and inside the myTheme folder:

much more structure,
and the folders inside can be given permissions what userlevel is allowed to change contents ect.. ect..,

and i'm acctualy thinking of making it work by my own, and maybe share it if it has animo for it,
but what do you think? is this workable? or do you think it worthless?

Tomosaur
February 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
I disagree - I've never had any problems changing themes etc.

PurplePenguin
February 23rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
What exactly is the question?

Leipe_Po
February 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
if you think the structure is better then the one ubuntu has now?
i think its far better, cause the one we have now is no structure

lnostdal
February 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
if you think the structure is better then the one ubuntu has now?
i think its far better, cause the one we have now is no structure

I go `System' --> `Preferences' --> and find `Theme' amongst the other stuff (near the bottom; alphabetically) I can configure for my user.

I fail to see the problem or I'm misunderstanding the question at the moment.

Leipe_Po
February 23rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
sorry if i'm not clear about this,
i mean 1 center for files, and 1 center to handle them all, with all i mean all,
for grub image to the applications icon, and all in between like boot splashes, login manager themes, gnome boot splash, background, window decorations, so all in one folder, with one control center handling them....

PurplePenguin
February 24th, 2007, 02:26 AM
sorry if i'm not clear about this,
i mean 1 center for files, and 1 center to handle them all, with all i mean all,
for grub image to the applications icon, and all in between like boot splashes, login manager themes, gnome boot splash, background, window decorations, so all in one folder, with one control center handling them....

It's all in your System file menu... whatever you want to do from login manager themes to background, sounds, fonts, whatever. It's not in a single "control panel" style window (sounds like you'd like Suse or Mandriva), it's all in the System menu.

Note360
February 24th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Actually you might like the Ubuntu Control Panel which gives you the apps in a panel, but they are still the same apps as the menu. Also, it doenst shwo them all.

jmillikin
February 24th, 2007, 05:09 AM
He's not very clear, but what he's looking for is a unified theme directory for all themes. The current GNOME Control Center -> Theme option covers only Metacity and GTK+ themes. He would like to be able to modify Grub, Bootsplash (or whatever Ubuntu uses), and GDM themes from the same place as well.

Leipe_Po
March 7th, 2007, 04:02 PM
exactly, starting the project next week, for now i have another project to worry about

laxmanb
March 7th, 2007, 04:04 PM
And this is in the Programming Talk forum because?