PDA

View Full Version : Writting on NTFS partitions

mwero001
February 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Semeni? Am kinda new in this but I was wondering if anyone knows how mount ntfs partions in write mode in ubuntu.Mounting and reading is'nt much of a problem coz I configured them to be mounted during boot time. Peace.

mizar001
February 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
For what i know, writing on a ntfs partition from linux is not a certified procedure. It's not a recommended action, even if a write utility exists.

You can convert the ntfs partitions in a fat32 format, and this is the recommended way to read/write from windows based partitions.

Another method if you have a local network is to start windows and share disks on net, and from another machine hosting ubuntu, mount these partitions with samba.

Jussi Kukkonen
February 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
The wiki is your friend:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions#head-c067eb7e3cd4107cc08cdf30a9e1aed8adb02971

njukey
April 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
ntfs-3g will allow you to read and write your NTFS partitions, just use aptitude to install it
i.e
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

after that you edit the file /etc/fstab to to be as follows

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g -o silent,umask=0,locale=utf8

i think it should work just remember to replace hda1 with yor device name and also mnt/windows with the mount directory

njukey
April 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
ntfs-3g will allow you to read and write your NTFS partitions, just use apt to install it
i.e

$ sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

after that you edit the file /etc/fstab to to be as follows

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g -o silent,umask=0,locale=utf8

i think it should work, just remember to replace hda1 with your device name and also mnt/windows with the mount directory

garybrlow
April 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Read information at www.ntfs-3g.org. Use ntfs-3g-config to install and set everything in just 2 clicks.

Cheers!!!

GaryBrlow :biggrin:

Gargamella
May 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Thank you very much I didn't know it... ;D

now I am very happier

Have a nice day