PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper seeking direction

sp0nge
February 23rd, 2007, 02:23 AM
I am looking to get back in to programming, pretty much a fresh start as long as I've been out of the loop. I only have experience with Visual Basic on Window$, but from what I have read, that is not going to work in the Ubuntu environment- VB is M$ proprietary ($urprise), until I learn to port (I just crossed it on Google, no way am I near that point).

I'm looking online for alternatives and have been given GAMBAS, REAL Basic, Phoenix Object Basic, and Liberty Basic. I'm looking for input on which of these will be the best to start for a novice. I have searched for support on each, but I'm just not familliar enough with Visual Basic to know which language comes closest.

I would also like some feedback on any other languages that might be worth investigating. I have gotten into python and feel I have a good start with but I need practice. I'm reading that python is a good versitile language, but I'm not seeing it as a good GUI language. Ruby, PERL, C, C++.. the list goes on but I need to crawl before I can walk.

Thanks for the input and guidance here, the forums have helped a lot but I need more....

sp0nge
MSN: silverparadox@hotmail.com

WW
February 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
Someone else recently asked a similar question: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=363625