PDA

View Full Version : I want to make my own website :)

Tahir
February 23rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
Hello all,

I have used ubuntu for the past two weeks and I am loving it. I am loving its looks, the fact that I got the wireless working (with WPA!) that its brilliantly user friendly and that forum members are very friendly too.

But of course I need to keep track of what I have done with ubuntu (for example changing of settings so that if I have to reinstall ubuntu I can quickly look at my website and do everything again.) Apart from this record keeping, the website would also function as a place where I would write down my thoughts perhaps upload files, practice my very little knowledge of javascript etc.

I am thinking of a free web service which would allow me to do pretty much whatever I would want to do.

I have looked at geocities but they only have a 15mb capacity which seems quite small. Do my fellow ubuntuns have any suggestions regarding this? I would appreciate any answer and I would like to see your websites if you actually use any of these free web services.

-Tahir

shareMenaPeace
February 23rd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Depends how you plan to present your own work.
And depends on your knowledge of how to use certain technologies.
And depends on the avaiable technologies.

Video
Basicly i think for such kind of documentation a youtube and myspace accounts would be a start.
There you could post videos of your ubuntu experience and debate with other user. This would need at least a program to record a video and a program to afterwards customize/cut the video add sound and voice.

Classic Website
Of course classic webpages are ok too, requires some basic understanding of HTML and howto transfer data.

Wiki
Maybe a wiki to put in your most handy things.

For myself i got a text document where i past/copy things im currently learning along with many well organized bookmarks :)

I wish you great fun while making stuff - Cheers

mrbungle
February 23rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
to me sounds like you want to do some blogging.

blogger.com is free and good and if you want to post files use the web space your isp gives you for free with your account.

my 2 cents

delfick
February 23rd, 2007, 02:38 AM
pages.google.com/

or

www.google.com/notebook

:D :D

Tahir
February 25th, 2007, 01:32 AM
pages.google.com/

or

www.google.com/notebook

:D :D

I like pages.google.com but I hate the google notebook thing. I would rather just make a blog which no one reads!!!

I reckon I will make an account on blogger.com and use my google account for pages.google.com and if I want to practice development then I will just set up a server.

I have written my first webpage:

http://t.a.hassan.googlepages.com/

I am not really serious about the Creative Commons because no one would bother copying me. Instead its just to impress you guys!!!

Tomosaur
February 25th, 2007, 01:34 AM
If you don't want anyone to read it, just create all of the content in a directory on your computer - that way you can practice all you like without feeling embarassed if you mess it up :P

Old Pink
February 25th, 2007, 03:18 AM
How about you host a website on your computer using Ubuntu's server capabilities? That gives the visitor an authentic Ubuntu feel, and it's completley free (minus internet/power fees.)

Tahir
February 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM
How about you host a website on your computer using Ubuntu's server capabilities? That gives the visitor an authentic Ubuntu feel, and it's completley free (minus internet/power fees.)

Well, google is giving me free and also I would have to keep my computer on all the time, both of which I wouldn't do.

I have start the website anyway:

t.a.hassan.googlepages.com

macogw
February 26th, 2007, 12:31 AM

ISP's get mad when you do that. Most TOS say "no servers" and they can tell because your bandwidth usage will probably go up. They also probably block outgoing port 80 and you have to pay more for a static IP (though dyndns can get around that part).

po0f
February 26th, 2007, 03:19 AM
macogw,

I'm sure a low-traffic website uses a lot less bandwidth than users who leave P2P programs running 24/7. And even though they are not considered servers in the strictest definition of the word, P2P programs still serve (lots of) data. I'd be mad at those users instead. :)

macogw
February 26th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah, it does depend how many graphics your site has and how much traffic it gets though. And you've still got the ports problem