PDA

View Full Version : New Ubuntu Blog

PrinceArithon
February 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
A friend of mine has made a new Ubuntu blog. It seems different from the rest in certain ways. He doesn't have many howto's but he has called out Steve Ballmer on things, and has given some health tips, and some dating tips even.

He posts here rarely but reads here often, he's a little embarrassed about the site still cuz he's having a bit of some problems with the lower resolutions, but I figured everyone here should take a look. Some of the stuff is pretty funny.

One last thing. He's really good at converting people to Ubuntu, he's done it a lot. So check out the blog. www.ubuntupimp.com

iwky911
February 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
3 googles ads per pages.... :???:
it seems to be a lot of nothing, doesn't it ?

PrinceArithon
February 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Don't know to be honest, all I know is he said he was changing the ads this weekend to something not so drastic or something like that.

picpak
February 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
I'm not sure how he can use percent-widths and still have the page not fit...

PrinceArithon
February 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah, he has no idea either, unless you are a higher resolution it just doesn't work right.

PrinceArithon
February 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Just as an update, he fixed it and it works in the lower resolutions now, and the ads aren't in your face everywhere. They blend better.

dada1958
February 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
"Die Steve Ballmer!" is not very Ubuntu :(

s6dalane
February 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Sorry to say, but that blog is just total crap. It seems to me that he lacks rational thinking and is taking things way too emotionally...
I think that I wouldn't want to use Ubuntu if it was lead by him or a man/woman like him.

Tomosaur
February 25th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah, this blog is a waste of bandwith. Horrible design, stupid 'articles', and...well, there's not much else to say.

foxmulder881
February 25th, 2007, 01:34 AM
That website scares me!

I think he needs to take some medication and calm down a little.

In regards to the website itself, it needs a lot of work for users to visit regularly. I know I wouldn't visit again.

maniacmusician
February 25th, 2007, 02:26 AM
As others have said, the content on that site isn't exactly exemplary of Ubuntu users. It seems to just be bigotry and flamebait type stuff. People need to get over that kind of thing, not get hung up on it.

Old Pink
February 25th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I won't visit again, that's for sure. I'm not sure he should use the term "pimp" so often, either.

Not for me thanks.

s6dalane
February 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
And now it's down. :)

chio
February 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
His, ahem, "friend" must have shut it down in a huff after the intense criticism here... erm... (surely some mistake? ed)

shareMenaPeace
February 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Beside the flame i tought it is ok for some users to use terms like "pimp" - "pimp your car" -- "pimp your computer" -- "pimp your computer with ubuntu". For people who listen to music called "hip hop" :)

And it looked like as was a begin to see what can be done and just part of an process.

Also i think producitve - constructive critic has more value than guys saying just short -- sux :)

Cheers and i hope he keeps on doing his thing but maybe without flame and focusing on ubuntu -- using his speech and thoguh msaking it intrest for people who use such terms/speech.

Everybody started at 1 point so it wasnt that bad,

my lovely 2 cents

maniacmusician
February 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Beside the flame i tought it is ok for some users to use terms like "pimp" - "pimp your car" -- "pimp your computer" -- "pimp your computer with ubuntu". For people who listen to music called "hip hop" :)

And it looked like as was a begin to see what can be done and just part of an process.

Also i think producitve - constructive critic has more value than guys saying just short -- sux :)

Cheers and i hope he keeps on doing his thing but maybe without flame and focusing on ubuntu -- using his speech and thoguh msaking it intrest for people who use such terms/speech.

Everybody started at 1 point so it wasnt that bad,

my lovely 2 cents
The main complaint really wasn't the use of the word "pimp" at all, only one person said that.

Some of the people who posted, including myself, did actually offer constructive remarks, pointing out why it was a bad site. I'd be glad to see him put it back up with better content and more focus, etc.

PrinceArithon
February 26th, 2007, 06:05 AM
His, ahem, "friend" must have shut it down in a huff after the intense criticism here... erm... (surely some mistake? ed)

I wasn't lying to you when I said it was my friend lol. Yet I'd be pretty happy if I was him to get all this focus on a first attempt at a site.

I'll tell him to make sure to check out my post, he still doesn't know I posted about the site here at the forums.

Also, if you take a look he didn't take down the site, there were some server problems I guess. I'll ask him about it later for sure.

The only thing I can say about the flame is I told him there might be some negative feedback because not everyone jokes around and says the things that we say together. In fact I warned him about 2 of the blogs, he just feels it's best to be himself and not hold back so I respect that. Too many people are fake. As for some of his other content, I think it fits fine for an Ubuntu blog. There are a few blogs about dell and linux, a nice one about the command line, health tip, and going out on the weekend. I like the going out on the weekend one.

Anyway, I think everyone should really give him a chance. I will be honest and say that I'm doing this because he is my friend. It just takes some time to understand him because he just says what he is thinking and sometimes it's harsh, and sometimes it's insane. I just think he's trying to wake up the community and make it more of a party, which is something we all need once in a while. Similar to myself, I partied all weekend myself. I feel we all need to get out once in a while and have fun.

I'm sure if anyone has any ideas for him to make the site look better, he'd go for the help, just email him or something.

s6dalane
February 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM
If he speaks his mind then I sure hope he acts different, because it seems to me that in MOST posts he has an urge to beat someone or even kill. IMO it's not the way to handle things, especially regarding Ubuntu.

Or maybe it's some kind of (sick) humor I just don't understand?

FaceorKneecaps
February 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Was that from the waybackmachine? :lolflag:

PrinceArithon
February 27th, 2007, 01:29 AM
If he speaks his mind then I sure hope he acts different, because it seems to me that in MOST posts he has an urge to beat someone or even kill. IMO it's not the way to handle things, especially regarding Ubuntu.

Or maybe it's some kind of (sick) humor I just don't understand?

It's sick humor, he wouldn't just go out and beat someone or even kill them. He wouldn't back down from anyone either, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't just go out and hit anyone. He hasn't done it so far from all the times I've hung out with him.