PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying legal issues (mainly multimedia)

billdotson
February 22nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
What are the most annoying legal issues with computers (mainly multimedia)

How almost all music you buy is DRMed unless you buy a CD?

Companies suing or threatening to sue over ridiculous things (such as a logo looking similar or a product being similar)

not knowing if certain things like videos, songs, sound effects are legal to edit and/or use without hour or longer of research?

Anything else I have not mentioned.

Personally DRM makes me angry. I find myself not buying any songs because the whole DRM thing is stupid. The multimedia thing I just use the creative commons search now to get anything I want to edit or use. And Big Companies always nitpicking about certain things and making legal agreements that hurt customers is a big one but not as bad as DRM for me. I also don't like being able to not legally make a backup of my DVD movies. That is absurd. The multimedia corporations need to think of better ways to protect their intellectual property.

mostwanted
February 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Software patents.

prizrak
February 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
All legal issues with computers are annoying. Pretty much the entire IP legislation is completely retarded and outdated.

bobbybobington
February 23rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
Riaa/mpaa

tbroderick
February 23rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
How almost all music you buy is DRMed unless you buy a CD?

I've bought zero DRM music and plan to buy zero DRM music. Can't remember the last time a bought a CD. I buy vinyl.

Companies suing or threatening to sue over ridiculous things (such as a logo looking similar or a product being similar)

Doesn't effect me. Nor have I heard any of the programs that I use being sued.

not knowing if certain things like videos, songs, sound effects are legal to edit and/or use without hour or longer of research?

Not an issue.

Anything else I have not mentioned.

I'd say the most annoying legal issue is still SCO. Not that I think SCO has much of a chance of winning their case against IBM, but I find the lawsuit to be very annoying.