PDA

View Full Version : Close to Dreamweaver

erugalatha
February 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Hello,

Coming from a windows background I really like Macromedia dreamweaver for my web dev. What's the closest available IDE to Dreamweaver on ubuntu gnome?

I don't fancy fiddling with wine. :)

Thanks for any help.

Bagboy23
February 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Nothing comes close I'm afraid. There are some that resemble a little more sophistication than the Frontpage 2000 that use to come with office. The rest are all similar to frontpage.

Mirrorball
February 22nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
What Badboy23 said, adding that it's a good opportunity for you to learn how to write your own HTML and CSS. Your code will be much cleaner than Dreamweaver's and you will learn a lot more about web design.

erugalatha
February 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
yup ... well back-in-the-day I started out using notepad ... found dreamweaver after a few years of developing and never went back - well only for CSS stuff.

I agree there's a lot to be said for someone using a text editor to get down and dirty with their web dev skills but then again a good IDE just makes life easier ... I'm all for an easy life. :)

are there any IDE's in ubuntu that I can edit php scripts, do some ruby programming in and generally keep my projects logically visible and contained? I have anjuta ide at the moment ... but I'm not digging it too much so far.

Mirrorball
February 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
I'm all for an easy life. :)
Editing HTML gets very easy after some practice and the results are much better. I think it's well worth the initial effort.

are there any IDE's in ubuntu that I can edit php scripts, do some ruby programming in and generally keep my projects logically visible and contained? I have anjuta ide at the moment ...
For PHP, it doesn't get any better than Eclipse + PDT (here:
http://www.eclipse.org/php/ and not PHP Eclipse, which is a different plugin). For Ruby on Rails, Eclipse + Radrails.

erugalatha
February 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks a lot ... I'll give them a try out.

Bagboy23
February 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
I know some people prefer the basic text editor adding that it provides more control and that Dreamweaver is nothing more than a bulky application that drifts you off from the correct coding discipline. However, the problem is that it is not a RAD tool and it does not allow you to follow a software implementation methodology.

If you’re coding away for your own website or an application, then it’s all fair, however when you have deadlines and deliverables on top of following a project methodology and a software implementation methods, then there is no other option but to use a RAD tool, hence the industry’s preference for Dreamweaver as the industry standard or industry leading tool.

Mirrorball
February 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
As long as you only use Dreamweaver's coding interface or at least check the code that the WYSIWYG editor produces to make sure it's semantic and valid, you will be fine. We should care about the quality of our work. Delivering inferior products has always been easier, not just in web design. The best web designers I know don't design their pages in a WYSIWIG editor. Dreamweaver is a good tool but it's unnecessary. I'd never run it on Wine for instance.

karellen
February 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
I use quanta plus for php and html

WiseElben
February 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Hello,

Coming from a windows background I really like Macromedia dreamweaver for my web dev. What's the closest available IDE to Dreamweaver on ubuntu gnome?

I don't fancy fiddling with wine. :)

Thanks for any help.

I use Dreamweaver using Wine. There should be no necessary configuration, everything works straight out of the box. Make sure you are using the latest Wine though.

ronb
February 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
I use Bluefish for text editing. It has some very nice features.

Amaya is WYSIWYG. I don't use it, but it has some advanced XML features.

NVU is WYSIWYG also, but I prefer to use Bluefish.

geakMonkey
February 26th, 2007, 11:16 PM
From the Old School:

I have friends who designed programming languages way back in what they call "the dinosaur age." They use all kinds of tools that would be poopood by the peanut gallery.

I know more than a handful of pre-gui programmers who use Windows98. I know a few assembly guru types who use WindowsXP. I know other programmers who use Suse to develop assembly and basic language tools for linux programmers. I know mac programmers who peruse old assembly code from dinasour computers tapes to research old source code.

If you are lucky enough to live near the Silicon Valley, you could tour the Computer Museum and see all the dinosaurs resurrected.

Every programmer I know has a pet machine or a small farm of pets. And s/he uses each machine for different purposes. One programmer, who is in his seventies, told me that he finally got to the point that he basically swaps the hard drive out for each operating system. That is what I do now. I keep on bootable hard drive that multiboots and swap in and out hard drives.

I use DSL (damnsmall linux) on a USB key which can either boot on metal or on linux or windows. So, I can login onto IRC and SSH from whatever machine and whereever I am with my laptop (which runs MSWindows). I do some code on both linux and windows.

I forced our non-profit staff to use tools that made them look at the code but let them decide what they wanted to design and develop on. After all, they are volunteers. A few use Dreamweaver. When anyone in our group uses anything, I have to learn how the source that is spat out looks like when there are errors. Basically that means that I have to learn a bit more about Dreamweaver. And, Yikes, I used to work at Borland so I know the Builder tools and I appreciate object code when I have to slap something together. I hate it when the executables are bloated and run slow. But I do appreciate what you see is what you get . It is like fast food. It is bad for your body but good for a quick fix.

In a Democracy, we have Freedom of Speech. Part of that freedom is Freedom to choose which tools by which we communicate. It is your choice... good luck.

botheredbybees
February 28th, 2007, 01:38 AM
I've been playing with aptana (http://www.aptana.com) recently with a view to using it in my web development class.

It's built on eclipse and pretty well supported. Worth a look IMO. Check out this thread (http://www.aptana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=520&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) for installation instructions

bvanaerde
March 16th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I've been playing with aptana (http://www.aptana.com) recently with a view to using it in my web development class.

Same here... after trying out a lot of web development programs, this is the one that I decided to use.
There's no WYSIWYG editor, but I really don't need that...

ronb
March 29th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks to botheredbybees and bvanaerde for the tip on aptana (http://www.aptana.com/). It's very nice, and it runs on anything. I have Apple and Ubuntu at home and Windows at work. Thanks again.

craigyjack
March 31st, 2007, 02:17 AM
Aptana (http://www.aptana.com) is the way to go. It is a great IDE I think, for html/css/javascript. It is open source and it only going to get better as its developed.
I am not sure why more people don't know about Aptana, although it is relatively new I believe.
It has built in FTP (although I like to use other FTP). It doesn't have WYSIWYG (yet).

It is actually really easy to install now, because someone over on the Aptana forums put together a self installing package (http://www.aptana.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=520&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) for Ubuntu. I used it to install Aptana and the installation was a breeze.

Aptana doesn't handle PHP, but I have seen talk on the Aptana forums about people using PDT (http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/) for PHP editing. I have never tried it, its just what I've heard.

For WYSIWYG NVU looked good, although I hard code so I do not have experience with WYSIWYG editors.

I've seen the HOWTO's on how to install Aptana in Ubuntu, but really, just use the package that the user made, and it is so much easier. I've seen some people having problems with the HOWTO's for Aptana, and the package was super easy to install.

-Craig

lawentzel
April 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Just my two cents. I happen to like NVU. It has a lot of functionality which you will like.

Lee

slimdog360
April 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM
dont forget komposer, which is a bug fix of NVU

lukjad
June 28th, 2008, 12:56 AM
dont forget komposer, which is a bug fix of NVU

I was going to say the <i>same</i> thing. NVU is no longer available in the Ubuntu repos (last I checked) and that is something I would like to stress. I was told that NVU was the way to go but couldn't find it. ;) Anyway, one thing I do agree with is that we should learn to code "by hand" instead of relying in a machine to spit out (unreliable) chunks of code for us. Remember, YOU can be on the cutting edge of HTML but your editor might not be.

pablo180
June 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I tried Komposer, Nvu, Amaya, Bluefish...the lot. Never found one that was in any way comparable to Dreamweaver and when you have deadlines to meet, spending (or wasting) a lot of time trying to learn how to do simple things with new software is not really an option.

I installed Dreamweaver in WINE and it works pretty well, not 100% but good enough and certainly better than the above alternatives. I didn't need to mess around with anything either, it worked straight from installation.

lukjad
June 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I tried Komposer, Nvu, Amaya, Bluefish...the lot. Never found one that was in any way comparable to Dreamweaver and when you have deadlines to meet, spending (or wasting) a lot of time trying to learn how to do simple things with new software is not really an option.

I installed Dreamweaver in WINE and it works pretty well, not 100% but good enough and certainly better than the above alternatives. I didn't need to mess around with anything either, it worked straight from installation.
I agree with you. If you want a simple WYSIWYG editor, may I suggest Google Docs? You can just type it like a word document and save it as an HTML, PDF, ODT, DOC, TXT... etc. I am not sure just how good it is since I am not in this field but it _seems_ to be that it will take (almost) any document type and covert it to another type. So that _might_ be more along what you were looking for. I agree (in advance) that it will most probably not do for professional work.

Can+~
June 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
-Dreamweaver runs fine on Wine.
-Anjuta is awesome, lacks some features, but it is usable.

erugalatha
June 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
thank you all for your suggestions - have since moved to mac & using textmate on that for dev. so all those posters who recommended hand-coding can be proud of me! :) also running parallels and some virtual machines so have a windows xp set up that allows me to run dreamweaver when I need it - best of all worlds really.

If the poster who talked about DSL has any more info. on that booting from USB I would be interested to hear as it sounds very cool.

lukjad
June 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
thank you all for your suggestions - have since moved to mac & using textmate on that for dev. so all those posters who recommended hand-coding can be proud of me! :) also running parallels and some virtual machines so have a windows xp set up that allows me to run dreamweaver when I need it - best of all worlds really.

If the poster who talked about DSL has any more info. on that booting from USB I would be interested to hear as it sounds very cool.

Just so you know, you can dual boot Ubuntu and Mac OSX. Tell us what you think of Mac. I want to hear if it's as good as they say.

Shobuz99
September 7th, 2008, 12:01 AM

I'm a noob to Ubuntu (use 8.04) and have read some posts about Wine.
Yours is the first I've seen that talks about using Dreamweaver "in wine"..

For a noob, what would be the steps to install DW within Wine?
1) install wine package
2) Use DWMX 2004 install CD and somehow get wine to recognize it?

... easy on me, please, I'm a noob that's willing to learn.
I may be slow but, I'm persistent and take directions slowly and well.:smile:
Rick (shobuz99)

LaRoza
September 7th, 2008, 01:27 AM

1) install wine package

Rick (shobuz99)

See the Wine forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=313

pablo180
September 7th, 2008, 02:02 AM

1) install wine package

Rick (shobuz99)

I use Gutsy 7.10 and Dreamweaver 8 so not really sure whether MX 2004 works, but all I did was install Wine:

Applications > Add/Remove.. > Searched for wine, ticked it and Applied Changes.

Then right-clicked on the setup (setup.exe) file for Dreamweaver and selected 'Open With Wine' - or something similar to that and then just installed it as if it were on Windows.

Once it was complete it worked fine. The version of Wine that installs through Ubuntu seems to be quite old so if it doesn't work you may want to check out the link that LaRoza gave you to see how to install a newer version of wine.

Also this link (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1810) may have information on how to get MX 2004 working if you run into problems. According to the information there it should install and run on Hardy 8.04.

Shobuz99
September 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I use Gutsy 7.10 and Dreamweaver 8 so not really sure whether MX 2004 works, but all I did was install Wine:

Applications > Add/Remove.. > Searched for wine, ticked it and Applied Changes.

Then right-clicked on the setup (setup.exe) file for Dreamweaver and selected 'Open With Wine' - or something similar to that and then just installed it as if it were on Windows.

Once it was complete it worked fine. The version of Wine that installs through Ubuntu seems to be quite old so if it doesn't work you may want to check out the link that LaRoza gave you to see how to install a newer version of wine.

Also this link (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1810) may have information on how to get MX 2004 working if you run into problems. According to the information there it should install and run on Hardy 8.04.

pablo180
Thanks for your advice. I took it:
I got the wine package installed ok.
I put the DWMX 2004 CD in the CDROM drive (D)
I opened Wine and selected "Configure Wine"..
In the configuration, under the "Applications"tab,
I added the DWMX 2004 install application using the
"add application" button.
I set the "windows version:" to Windows XP
I applied changes, and saw the DWMX 2004 install was now listed.
I clicked OK.
Nothing happened after that, so I went to the CDROm drive and selected
the DWMX 2004 install exe and opened it.
The DWMX splash appeared with the option to install DWMX 2004.
I clicked 'install'
It seemed to be intsalling until I got an error message:

"An installation support file '%systemDrive%\Program files\Common files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\corecomp.ini' could not be installed (0x8000ffff)"

Do I need to create some fake Windows folders and copy the corecomp.ini file from my windows drive with that path?

I'm a little bit lost... Would you help?
Thanks
Rick(shobuz99)

mssever
September 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
"An installation support file '%systemDrive%\Program files\Common files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\corecomp.ini' could not be installed (0x8000ffff)"
It would be better to ask Wine-related questions in the Wine subforum.

<off-topic>I see that you're in the Southern Tier. I used to live in the Binghamton area when I was a kid. I haven't been back since. (I currently live in Texas.)</off-topic>

Shobuz99
September 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
It would be better to ask Wine-related questions in the Wine subforum.

<off-topic>I see that you're in the Southern Tier. I used to live in the Binghamton area when I was a kid. I haven't been back since. (I currently live in Texas.)</off-topic>

Ok. Sorry. I was just replying to pablo180's advice.
I'll try to move this to the Wine forum.

<off-topic> Yes, I live in Endicott, NY. I grew up in Binghamton
on the south side, near Ross Park (Hotchkiss Street)...
I don't think it's changed much there. Every time I drive by my
old house, I feel like throwing a match to it..it's such a slum...</off topic>
Rick <shobuz99>

mssever
September 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
<off-topic> Yes, I live in Endicott, NY. I grew up in Binghamton
on the south side, near Ross Park (Hotchkiss Street)...
I don't think it's changed much there. Every time I drive by my
old house, I feel like throwing a match to it..it's such a slum...</off topic>
Continuing the off-topic discussion:

My family visited the Ross Park Zoo a number of times. We lived in Vestal for a while, then moved to Kirkwood. I recently pointed Google Earth at the area, and didn't notice a whole lot of change...

Shobuz99
September 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Continuing the off-topic discussion:

My family visited the Ross Park Zoo a number of times. We lived in Vestal for a while, then moved to Kirkwood. I recently pointed Google Earth at the area, and didn't notice a whole lot of change...

Cool. I moved to Hotchkiss Street in 1955. Moved away in 1966,
to Endicott. (I'm almost 59 years old...yikes!)
You're right, not much has changed for the better. Mostly for the worse.

I moved and cross posted my Wine discussion to the Wine forum...
is that a rule breaker? Hope not.
Thanks
Rick (shobuz99)

mssever
September 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Cool. I moved to Hotchkiss Street in 1955. Moved away in 1966,
to Endicott. (I'm almost 59 years old...yikes!)
You're right, not much has changed for the better. Mostly for the worse.My family was in the area from 1989 to 1994.

I moved and cross posted my Wine discussion to the Wine forum...
is that a rule breaker? Hope not.I think that's OK in this case.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Have you tried Bluefish?

cb951303
September 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I never tried this but it has a WYSIWYG html editor along with many PHP capabilities. It's Zend afterall :) http://www.zend.com/en/products/studio/