PDA

View Full Version : KDE's BasKet 1.0 is out!

wersdaluv
February 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
My most favorite application, BasKet Note Pads 1.0 (http://basket.kde.org/) is out now!

For those of you who do not know what that app is...

This (BasKet) multi-purpose note-taking application can helps you to:

* Easily take all sort of notes
* Collect research results and share them
* Centralize your project data and re-use them
* Quickly organize your toughts in idea boxes
* Keep track of your information in a smart way
* Make intelligent To Do lists
* And a lot more...

The most important feature that I like with this version is Import/Export BasKet archives feature because my BasKet files are really very important so I want to always have a backup for them.

Here are some new features...

What's New in 1.0?

* Export/Import Basket Archives
* Export Basket Sub-Tree to HTML
* Import from Text Files
* Welcome Baskets, with Tips & Tricks
* Backup & Restore
* Change Save Location
* More Natural Modification of Big Notes
* A new Background Image
* Less Bugs, Less Crashes

If you have not used BasKet yet, download and maximize it. It makes life much more productive and organized!

:guitar:

Bloodfen Razormaw
February 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Fantastic, with the 0.6 release this turned into a killer application. There is simply no note-taking alternative. It is also good to see that OpenUsability is putting a lot of resources into improving this app.

GeneralZod
February 22nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm looking forward to basKet 2.0, where (with the advent of KDE4), it will run natively on Windows. I really miss it when I'm at work :(

wieman01
February 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Can you synchronize baskets on different computer easily? Is there a built-in function?

Erunno
February 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know by chance which widget style BasKet is using in the screenshots found on the official site ? It looks similar to Gnome's Clearlooks (Klearlooks ?).

NeoChaosX
February 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know by chance which widget style BasKet is using in the screenshots found on the official site ? It looks similar to Gnome's Clearlooks (Klearlooks ?).

It's Polyester (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=27968). Very nice KDE theme.

Erunno
February 22nd, 2007, 06:42 PM
Thank you very much ! :-D

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

troymcdavis
February 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'm a college student, and it's perfect for taking notes in some of my classes, but Kjots is much simpler and still does the functions necessary for some of my classes. I'm still holding out that someday BasKet will make it so that you can view all the items in each basket at a glance like in Kjots.

But I've already upgraded, and this new version is leaps and bounds beyond version .5

chalimac
February 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
It's been out for a while. In fact I compiled the sources because it wasn't in the repositories (i don't know now). If you want to try it, here is the package:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/1121e6f7-9d4e-4ae8-8876-c06e1da343b1/basket_1.0-1_i386

It has only been tested in kubuntu.

wersdaluv
February 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
Can you synchronize baskets on different computer easily? Is there a built-in function?

You can export BasKets to different computers easily but I do not know if you can sync them

wersdaluv
February 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM
It's been out for a while. In fact I compiled the sources because it wasn't in the repositories (i don't know now). If you want to try it, here is the package:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/1121e6f7-9d4e-4ae8-8876-c06e1da343b1/basket_1.0-1_i386

Thanks for the link! I have been having a hard time satisfying the dependencies until I ran the .deb from your link. :D

:guitar:

pismo
February 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Thanks all so for the link i set it up on Ubuntu 6.10 no probs it runs ok looks like i will get a lot of use out this

reyfer
February 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM
WOW. How did I managed to live without this software until now? This thing is GREAT. Thanks werdaluv for letting me know about it, and chalimac for the .deb package :D

Vivix729
February 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
How's the GNOME compatibility?

me1on
February 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
HOLY RAVIOLI this is great, I can't believe I've never used this before. This is yet another reason I use KDE. :)
Thanks for the .deb file, but is anybody else having the problem of BasKet not integrating into Kontact? Compiling it from source didn't help either. :(

wersdaluv
February 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
How's the GNOME compatibility?

Based on my experience, it's been working well wit GNOME (Ubuntu). :D

seijuro
February 24th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Just gave it a spin a couple hours ago. GREAT program, fully looking forward to putting it to daily use.

bailout
February 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM
HOLY RAVIOLI this is great, I can't believe I've never used this before. This is yet another reason I use KDE. :)
Thanks for the .deb file, but is anybody else having the problem of BasKet not integrating into Kontact? Compiling it from source didn't help either. :(

I tried a deb from the kde-apps page first and that crashed kontact so I assume it was trying to embed basket into kontact. The one listed on this thread, which I am now using, doesn't seem to try to embed in kontact at all. Perhaps there will be an official deb released. I notice there is a kubuntu package link on the kontact site but it is empty.

qpieus
February 26th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Hi chalimac - is your deb only for edgy? I got it to install on my dapper box after fixing a few dependencies, but it won't run.

randy@acer:~$ basket
basket: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by basket)
glibc 2.4 is not in my dapper repos though (2.2 is there)

userundefine
February 27th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Excellent, this is a very cool little prog. Thanks for letting me know about it.

damnhappy
February 28th, 2007, 04:59 AM
It worked out of the box in Gnome for me by using the link above. Great program!

RikoW
March 5th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hi there,

late follow-up, but maybe somebody is still interested.

Hi chalimac - is your deb only for edgy? I got it to install on my dapper box after fixing a few dependencies, but it won't run.

randy@acer:~$ basket
basket: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by basket)
glibc 2.4 is not in my dapper repos though (2.2 is there)

a .deb for dapper for basket-1.0 can be found here:

http://packages.kubuntu-de.org/de/dapper/universe/basket_1.0-0kubuntu1~dapper1

Cheers,

Riko

timebomb
March 14th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I would love to run this under Gnome, as some indicate is possible, but I get the below error. Any advice on getting this missing file? I assume this is a dependency problem. Sorry if this is blindingly obvious - I'm new at linux.

timebomb@laptop:~$ basket
basket: error while loading shared libraries: libkutils.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

qpieus
March 14th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Hi there,

late follow-up, but maybe somebody is still interested.

a .deb for dapper for basket-1.0 can be found here:

http://packages.kubuntu-de.org/de/dapper/universe/basket_1.0-0kubuntu1~dapper1

Cheers,

Riko

Thanks for the link. Downloading now.

GeneralZod
March 14th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I would love to run this under Gnome, as some indicate is possible, but I get the below error. Any advice on getting this missing file? I assume this is a dependency problem. Sorry if this is blindingly obvious - I'm new at linux.

sudo apt-get install kdelibs4c2a

should sort out that particular dependency, but there may be others! :)

Raffo
March 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Great piece of software!

timebomb
March 15th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Thank you, GeneralZod. Superman may be out to get you but you're okay in my book.

jazzman83
April 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Absolutely love this program. Recommend it to anyone looking for more organization with their files/projects.

The only qualm I have is that it's a little tricky at times to have working properly with Gnome but with a little effort that can be overcome.

Anyone know how to eliminate the auto-note input when one clicks somewhere in the basket? I would rather only like adding a note with the insert key and not every time I make a random click.

ryu kun
April 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I like Basket very much but does anyone know why it saves my changes in every single keypress? What if I make some changes accidentially and want to have back my original note? Or I might want just not to make my drive so busy... This is weird. I wonder if is there a way to make it save manually.

Snowhog
April 13th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Version 1.0.2 is out, and I've downloaded the .deb file. I installed 1.0 from your compiled file (thank you!) which was very useful, given that ./install from in the directory the download file was extracted to failed because of missing lib files. I'm running Kubuntu Edgy Eft. What is required for me to update the current installation to the 1.0.2 version .deb file I downloaded?