PDA

View Full Version : Does ubuntu come with firefox??

laxmanb
February 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
I was reading on Wikipedia that Debian was blocked from the Firefox name for their browser because thay didn't use the Firefox logo and that they now call it Iceweasel(or something like that)... Since ubuntu is based on Debian, will ubuntu start calling it iceweasel as well??

Somenoob
February 22nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Firefox is the default browser in Ubuntu and it uses the official logo.

russell.h
February 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM
In 6.06 I believe a different logo was used (something blue is about all I remember).

Somenoob
February 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
In 6.06 I believe a different logo was used (something blue is about all I remember).

It's the same logo I think, it's just missing the fox.

Stex
February 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Nowerdays ubuntu comes with firefox and the official firefox logo.

Originaly ubuntu (and debian) came with firefox but didn't use the official logo because it has copyright restrictions. However, recently, the owners of firefox got cranky about this and enforced their rights that in order to call the program firefox it must be unaltered (not using the official logo is considered altered for whatever reason).

Debian always wants to be open source, the firefox official logo has usage restrictions therefore they opted to rename the browser and keep their own open source logo. Ubuntu however went on the usability side of things so that new users wouldn't get confused as to where firefox is.

Iceweasel is essentially still firefox though, but without the official icon (though I'm sure the debian devs have taken the opportunity to modify it a bit more)