PDA

View Full Version : Some of your pet peeves?

Motoxrdude
February 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
What makes you guys tick?
It doesn't have to be computer realated

One of mine is when a company steals a concept from another and then accuses them of stealing the concept they stole. Sound familiar?

pay
February 22nd, 2007, 06:42 AM
I hate work.

manmower
February 22nd, 2007, 07:08 AM
People who deliberately spell Microsoft or Windows wrong, or try to criticize them when it is clear from their comments they don't know what they're talking about.

In fact, people who deliberately spell anything wrong unless they are jokingly referring to some internet meme.

Screenshots of rotating Beryl cubes: as if your computer looks like that for more than a few milliseconds during normal use. Who wants to see a cube with ugly aliased edges anyway, if you're going to screenshot it, crank up the anti-aliasing.

Overuse of the following smileys: :guitar: :lolflag: :popcorn: , mostly posted in random fashion and completely unrelated to the comments made.

Threads about "what is the best ..."; tastes differ. Particularly threads such as "who does the best KDE/Gnome"; I wish someone would make it clear once and for all that all these distros are using the exact same software. They only change the default configuration. You can make practically any distro look like any other one's default look, and that is a fact! There is no "better" KDE or Gnome.

Distrowatch, and the people who make great efforts in improving the ranking of their distro.

The political right wing.

Speed limits on freeways.

90% of what's on TV. Especially since the 10% I like usually generates some backlash in the press with people going "I can't believe they're wasting our tax euros on that". I wonder how they think I feel.

Titus A Duxass
February 22nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
People who deliberately spell Microsoft or Windows wrong, or try to criticize them when it is clear from their comments they don't know what they're talking about.

In fact, people who deliberately spell anything wrong unless they are jokingly referring to some internet meme.

Overuse of the following smileys: , mostly posted in random fashion and completely unrelated to the comments made.

Threads about "what is the best ..."; tastes differ. Particularly threads such as "who does the best KDE/Gnome"; I wish someone would make it clear once and for all that all these distros are using the exact same software. They only change the default configuration. You can make practically any distro look like any other one's default look, and that is a fact! There is no "better" KDE or Gnome.

Distrowatch, and the people who make great efforts in improving the ranking of their distro.

The political right wing.

Speed limits on freeways.

90% of what's on TV. Especially since the 10% I like usually generates some backlash in the press with people going "I can't believe they're wasting our tax euros on that". I wonder how they think I feel. - Ditto, thank you, you saved me typing.

natedawg
February 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Well here are few things that bug me, in no particular order....

-Slow Drivers

-People who talk for ages when what they are saying could be said in just a few words.

-Internet slang

-Reality TV and CSI / Crime Shows

-Alarm Clock going off in the morning

-Alarm Clock that doesn't go off at the desired time

-Windows computers that still have all the default icons on the desktop (Like AOL or DELL Help Desk)

-People who use IE6 because they don't know any better

-Junk files / useless files on computers (I like my computers clean)

-Spam that gets through the spam filters

adam.tropics
February 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
I hate work.

I'm certainly with you on that one....must be the climate!

spockrock
February 22nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
my best friend using a pen when reading off my crt monitor and leaving ink trails on my screen.....and people touching my screen.

Mr.Auer
February 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
I hate cars. All cars. Combustion engines, filthy dirt-spewing earth-r**ing things. Cars and eating meat are destroying our world.
But I still have to admit they got their uses (except meat, thats totally unnecessary).
Did you know that meat production produces MORE greenhouse gases and net warming effect than all traffic combined? What, you didnt?

But I cant stand people who drive in a hurry, drive sloppily or dont obey the traffic rules, especially dont take into account what murderous mutilating machines the cars are to pedestrians and cyclists like me.

Or run the reds simply because "theyre in a hurry" (to kill someone). Or speed because "I can and im a good driver".

Or ride a "Sports Utility Vehicle" (SPORTS? WTH is that? thats a BICYCLE is, its a SPORTS UTILITY!!) to feel SAFER. SAFE in the knowledge you will CRUSH anyone getting hit by you to early grave.

Or why you need to move around 1000+ kgs of steel, glass and plastics simply to move your own 50-150 kg behind around? Not a very good efficiency ratio at all.

Ive been ran over several times, both when working as a postman and when simply riding my bike. And not once have I been the faulty party, these have always happened like the car running the red lights when im on a safewalk with a green light etc. Luckily, so far Ive survived without much bodily harm. And I have never hit another cyclist, pedestrian or a car, when cycling, walking or driving (dont drive at all nowadays, only cycle, no matter how cold or wet or whatever..)

Id have to agree with BBCs poll from last year, "What is the greatest invention of humanind?" Guess what it was? The bicycle.

Mr.Auer
February 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Well here are few things that bug me, in no particular order....

-Slow Drivers

Need I say any more??
Please, next time you start hating that "slow driver", please consider the safety of non-motor-powered traffic also! Roads are for the safe transport of all people using any mode of transport, theyre not a speed competition. Go to a race track if you need speed.

beercz
February 22nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
In no particular order:

Problems between keyboard and chair
People not reading the screen
People not pressing the help key
People not reading the manual
Soaps (serialized TV dramas)
The School Run
Untidiness
Windows (come to think of it, all MS procucts)
DRM
WGA
People talking very loud on their mobiles when in confined spaces (e.g. train)
Ironing
Cleaning the bathroom
The Birdie Song
Agadoo
Smoking
People not engaging brain before speaking
Politicians not being honest
Politicians not answering the question
Being bored
Reality TV
Celebrity obsessed culture
Drivers talking on mobile phones

thesmartace
February 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Teachers who know nothing of a topic poisoning students with misinformation. Unfortunately this happens all too often.

Drivers who drive really slowly on the highway and then speed up when there is an overtaking lane.

People who criticize movies, books, etc without seeing/reading them first.

Titus A Duxass
February 22nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
I have to add to my list with:

Know-it All cyclists who in their "green pastime" produce more CO2 than most cars and normally have no insurance, drive without lights and think that the highway code does not apply to them.

Mr.Auer
February 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Erm, how does a bike cause more CO2 emissions than a car? Thats impossible, since its muscle powered, and even the amount of metals and/or energy needed to produce the bike is miniscule compared to cars? Bike is 4 times more effective energywise than even a horse, being most effective transport atm.

I can dig your "who dont know the highway code" thou ;) Thats very true, Ive once almost (yes, almost) crashed at full speed (30 km/h) to another cyclist, who was a) riding without lights OR reflectors at night b) I was coming from the right in equal rights crossing so he shouldave yielded..c) I shouldave slowed more too... I never even saw him before I had passed right in front of him, leaving maybe a meter space..Since, been taking it a lil easier in the bikeway crossings also :p

Most people who dont have a drivers licence = no education as to the traffic rules can be spotted riding bikes, even thou it is mandatory to know the rules even when just walking! So needless to say, the cluelessness is often very visible...

And then theres the "know it all" pros like me :D haha...Who bike because at work i need to, most mail gets delivered with bikes or hand carts..Also been delivering nighttime papers, bikes the best for that too. And for getting to and from work.

But enough offtopic heh...

PS. No insurance? Ahh, but you live in a "welfare state" that doesnt offer much protection in the way of healthcare to its citizens...sad..
And yes, I have additional insurance, mostly to guarantee I get medical attention in the nearest (private or public) clinic when that Hummer runs me over from behind...

Titus A Duxass
February 22nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
PS. No insurance? Ahh, but you live in a "welfare state" that doesnt offer much protection in the way of healthcare to its citizens...sad..
For info: We have a good Health system in Germany. I am talking about when a cyclist scrapes their pedals down the side of my car.

One cycle, 100 km trip with two people and luggage, do the math!

bigken
February 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
when the pub landlord calls last orders :(

Titus A Duxass
February 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
when the pub landlord calls last orders - Do they still do that?
If yes then I agree.

Motoxrdude
February 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Another one of mine is when people call a magazine a "clip" regarding airsoft guns.

STREETURCHINE
February 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
whinger's........:mad:

Quillz
February 25th, 2007, 09:38 AM
People who refer to their computer as a "puter" really annoy me.