PDA

View Full Version : Mac or Windows?

Old Pink
February 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Hi there,

Which, of Mac and Windows is the lesser of two evils, would you say? Which interface would you choose to use if Linux was not an option. For example, if your boss was to say "We need a complete new line of computers, and they need to run PieceOfSoftware, which is available for Mac and Windows only, Linux is no longer an option" what would you choose?

I'm just interested in seeing what other Linux users prefer out of the two leading desktops. :)

Personally I'd choose Mac. I just love the interface and the build of their systems. Plus iLife is quite a nice package, just altogether nicer than Windows. What do you think? Vote in the poll.

- Matt

cunawarit
February 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
Which, of Mac and Windows is the lesser of two evils, would you say?

Neither is "evil", they are both great at what they do.

Which interface would you choose to use if Linux was not an option.

Depends on the task. Right now if I need to create a big and complex website I would opt for Windows 2003 Server hands down over anything else simply because I have lots of experience with it. But if I were building a cheap little PC for home desktop use I'd go for Ubuntu or Debian over Vista hands down for costs reasons.

For example, if your boss was to say "We need a complete new line of computers, and they need to run PieceOfSoftware, which is available for Mac and Windows only, Linux is no longer an option" what would you choose?

Considering what we do Windows is the only sensible choice for the developers. The graphics designer could do with a Mac. And the rest of the staff could probably pick and choose from anything that runs a web browser and an office suit.

I'm just interested in seeing what other Linux users prefer out of the two leading desktops. :)

Once again it depends entirely on the task at hand, as an ASP.NET developer Windows makes perfect sense for me. Whereas a graphic designer, amateur photographer or musician might prefer a Mac.

I think the best option is to keep your options open, right now I am Linux less due to a recent house move... I am missing it SO much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheWizzard
February 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
windows.
mac is far to expensive and you can't play games.

prizrak
February 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Both suck huge monkey balls (in fact every single OS out there is complete and utter crap) but I would go for OS X before Windows especially now that Vista is out simply because it's a better OS.

Old Pink
February 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
windows.
mac is far to expensive and you can't play games.

Games don't appeal to me, at all. Waste of time, and money is not an issue.

If you were in my situation, would it still be Windows?

SunnyRabbiera
February 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Mac by far, I almost went mac many times if it wasnt for money issues, but in the long run if I could not get linux I would head to a mac.

Yossarian
February 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by prizrak
Both suck huge monkey balls (in fact every single OS out there is complete and utter crap) but I would go for OS X before Windows especially now that Vista is out simply because it's a better OS.

I feel the same way, and it sucks. I just bought all the parts for a nice Core 2 Duo machine, and now have to choose which OS to put on it.

I feel like I just balanced and tuned a Honda engine and now must choose which 50s era GM 2 speed hydraglide transmission to hook onto it.

macogw
February 21st, 2007, 08:46 PM
I picked Windows because their GUI makes sense and the mice have 2 buttons. I hate the Mac UI. The menus don't stay attached to the windows! Stupid stupid stupid! And confusing! I'm assuming the program in question uses a GUI, and for the sake of my sanity, those menus better be in the right place like on Windows. The only way I can use a Mac and NOT be confused is if I just use bash. I thought about getting a Mac before, but the single-button mouse is too annoying. Too bad there's no way to "kill X" on a Mac. I'd rather be in a VT by default than have to hunt around trying to find the darn "terminal" option

TheWizzard
February 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM

i'd probably choose the cheapest. besides, i really hate the itunes interface (still using it for my ipod), i think this one-mouse-button is insane, and i don't like the dictator-like way steve jobs decides what i can do on my computer.

prizrak
February 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
I feel the same way, and it sucks. I just bought all the parts for a nice Core 2 Duo machine, and now have to choose which OS to put on it.

I feel like I just balanced and tuned a Honda engine and now must choose which 50s era GM 2 speed hydraglide transmission to hook onto it.

LOL, you should change Honda to Toyota or Nissan, Honda engines while pretty advance tend to lack in power compared to the other two. (RB26DETT for the win!!!)

tigerpants
February 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
Mac Or Windows? That's like being asked if you'd prefered to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the throat. :)

I use my computer mainly for writing. So, given a choice of one or the other, I'd choose a notepad and a nice fountain pen. I'd pretty much have to give up computers. I could never bring myself to own a Mac simply because I have this uncontrollable urge to jump on one every time I see one, stupid plastic fisherprice crap.

And Windows just isn't upto the job of anything unless you constantly patch, virus check, defrag and yawn..... falling asleep listing things..... urge to live fading....

God, I'm glad I don't have to use either.

(In a pinch, a patched up XP. At least you can play decent games on it).

:)

In conclusion - hurrah for linux.

Old Pink
February 22nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
And Windows just isn't upto the job of anything unless you constantly patch, virus check, defrag and yawn..... falling asleep listing things..... urge to live fading....

Personally, I think it's worth spending £399 on a Mac just to avoid those actions. Of course, given the choice then between Mac and Linux, it'd be Linux.

What I'm saying is:
Linux > Mac > Windows

equal
February 22nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Personally I'd pick Windows. While a high powered Mac can do some great things, the PC you can get for the equivalent price will blow the Mac out of the water.

kuja
February 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Mac Or Windows? That's like being asked if you'd prefered to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the throat. :)
Punched in the throat, hands down.

---------------

As for other things, I'd probably take the Mac, just because windows frustrates me (far too "high maintenance" for my tastes). As for the "games" argument that many people throw out, I'd rather use a console anyway.

steven8
February 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Mac Or Windows? That's like being asked if you'd prefered to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the throat.

I'll take the blow to the head! :) Actually, I'd take the punch to the throat. Microsoft keeps doing the former every time we turn around, yet people keep saying, "Well, it's okay because I need to play games and folks need to be able to read my letters." What a crying shame. It will take a total revolution to change things, but people will have to be willing to get up off their knees, wipe their mouths, and face Microsoft eye to eye!

Nations haven't been created by saying, "It's okay, that's just how things are." No, people usually have to fight to the death against the group who are trying to keep them under their thumb. It's been this way since the beginning of civilization. Why does the whole world seem willing to allow a small group of people to control them? I just don't get it.

Heck, I believe we'd be better off going back to the teletype, postal service and western telegrams to get our messages to people rather than let Microsoft control our world.

OffHand
February 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Opinions are like ***holes... everybody has one and they are all full of **** ;)

steven8
February 22nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Opinions are like ***holes... everybody has one and they are all full of **** ;)

Well then, you tell us all how to think, and we'll get right on it.

tigerpants
February 22nd, 2007, 05:04 PM

Replace "opinions" with "computers" and it still holds true :)

My Lost Shadow
February 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
It depends on the software I have to run; if it is graphic related I will gladly use a Mac but if it is just random work a Windows PC will do.

Breepee
February 22nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
I use all big three on a regular basis (Ubuntu, Windows XP and MacOSX 10.4) and of course, Ubuntu (thanks to Gnome) is king, and while OSX surely has it's beauty, simplicity and usability, there are some thing that make we not want to use it for heavy use. It's on my laptop so it's OK, but not to be able to cut and paste with a key combo eats me... XP may come straight out of the nineties, but what it does, it does generally OK. Of course, theres always the games that make Windows a necessity.

voided3
February 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
As a user of all three OSes, I would have to say Mac OS X is a great thing. Albeit the (fast) hardware is expensive, you must bear in mind that the software and hardware are both supported by the same people and therefore is designed for that particular hardware, lessening the chances of compatibility problems. I haven't dove into the CLI of OS X, but I like the GUI (though admittedly the separate menu bar took some getting used to; now that I get it though, it isn't a bad idea). I view OS X as idiot-proof Linux since it is extremely basic to do the average tasks and there are a lot less vulnerabilities compared to Windows (and, of course, it's UNIX based).
Now for Windows, I like the fact that it supports just about every piece of software out there, runs games like a champ, and can be installed on almost any hardware of your choice, but it's virus/spyware/trojan vulnerabilities are a bit of a turn off. That and you can't customize the graphical interface to much without using something like window blinds (which a few of my friends have used and its use resulted in reformatting their comps). I also don't like the need for disk defragmentation and the registry aspects of it, especially when on OS X you just need to run disk utility every so often (takes 10 seconds on a macbook pro :-D ) and ubuntu does a automatic disk check every 30 boots.
To be honest, I think having all three is an awesome thing though. I have OS X for doing all of my music and video stuff (and yes, even some nice open source games), Windows for games and some stuff like Sibelius that I only had a Win installer for, and Ubuntu for everything the others can't and for daily use; on my desktop, I use it about 85% of the time. If I had to choose one though, I think i could do all of the above on OS X without any fuss, but I really like Linux too much to give it up (especially since I also have a few of older comps that range from 200-700mhz that run it great). Just my two cents :-)

crimsontide
February 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Since money is not an issue windows vista is a much better choice just because it supports tons of software. :)

Quillz
February 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
I prefer Mac OS (10) to Windows (Vista.)

cunawarit
February 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
To be honest, I think having all three is an awesome thing though. I have OS X for doing all of my music and video stuff (and yes, even some nice open source games), Windows for games and some stuff like Sibelius that I only had a Win installer for, and Ubuntu for everything the others can't and for daily use; on my desktop, I use it about 85% of the time. If I had to choose one though, I think i could do all of the above on OS X without any fuss, but I really like Linux too much to give it up (especially since I also have a few of older comps that range from 200-700mhz that run it great). Just my two cents :-)

:) *bravo!!!!*

I do like it when people think objectively and don't get carried away with fanaticism.

Old Pink
February 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I'd say a 1.83Ghz, 512MB (for example) Mac setup, would run faster than a 1.83Ghz, 512MB XP setup (and a 1.83Ghz, 512MB Vista setup, but that goes without saying!) :)

Interesting results, 75% Mac. :)

inCursorated
February 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
as a *nix enthusiast, i have to say mac's os x. windows should (and eventually will) be obsolete - microsoft's savvy business deals are all that keep it alive (and it's the only reason they're even at the top). unix-based OSs are the most efficient to date, so i foresee the mac steadily rising and windows (gradually) fading out... wait, was that a foresight or a hope? :popcorn:

prizrak
February 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
I'd say a 1.83Ghz, 512MB (for example) Mac setup, would run faster than a 1.83Ghz, 512MB XP setup (and a 1.83Ghz, 512MB Vista setup, but that goes without saying!) :)

Interesting results, 75% Mac. :)

This is a Linux forum so most people dislike Windows but don't mind the Mac it also helps that it's UNIX based.

7h35ur930n
February 23rd, 2007, 12:02 AM
I work for Apple, use Linux and I'm doing my MCSA....I dual boot windows and fedora 6 on a desktop have an ubuntu web server and an ubuntu laptop, if I were to choose any of the OS's I'd definitely choose Mac, windows BSOD constant security issues and spyware is just a total pain in the ***. Macs have less exploits available and more levels of security. check out Metasploit framework for instance or Milworm website etc etc, most are targeted towards windows boxes, windows preferences are another chaff in the ***, atleast with Macs you can remove a few preference files or reset SMC or PRAM and the problems over. I agree with other comments about the price, its way over priced, top end machines price up to 14,000 :?( my girlfriend said i like the word *** but i skipped school alot so my english is of a sub standard.

From all the operating systems I'd go for Linux (not the question!!!)

BASH over DOS

steven8
February 23rd, 2007, 03:07 AM
Since money is not an issue windows vista is a much better choice just because it supports tons of software. :)

Vista does not support any software, software is made for it.

cantormath
February 23rd, 2007, 03:08 AM
anyone who says windows knows nothing about MAC.

tubasoldier
February 23rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
When you only give two operating systems like that I am going to have to pick Mac OSX. After using linux and moving away from windows I have tasted the stability and freedom of not using MicroJunk. Apple for me.

GuitarHero
February 23rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
No one jump me for this, but I'd much rather be writing this on a mac right now. Ubuntu is a great distro for some people but it just doesn't work for me. I want to be able to record and compose music, and do graphic work. GIMP, Ardour, and Rosegarden don't even come close to Photoshop, Tracktion, and Sibelius. For now I am on Ubuntu 90% of the time, Mac 5% at school, and windows 5% whenever I need to do recording and such. Maybe 10% doesn't seem like much to most people but when its the productive 10% of my computer time, it's enough for me to want to switch. Once Leopard is out(i may wait and see if the 15.3 inch macbook rumor is true as well) Im going to get a macbook for my birthday/grad present/my money. I won't look back.

aysiu
February 23rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
I don't see anything wrong with using either Mac or Windows. I prefer to use Ubuntu if possible, but I've used all three platforms, and I have to use Windows for work. It isn't fun, but it's usable.

My perfect operating system would have the flexibility and freedom of Ubuntu (with the feel of the applications and interface) with the look of Mac OS X (yes, I know some people hate the Aqua, but I actually like it) and the compatibility of Windows (hardware, software, whatever).

GuitarHero
February 23rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
I don't see anything wrong with using either Mac or Windows. I prefer to use Ubuntu if possible, but I've used all three platforms, and I have to use Windows for work. It isn't fun, but it's usable.

My perfect operating system would have the flexibility and freedom of Ubuntu (with the feel of the applications and interface) with the look of Mac OS X (yes, I know some people hate the Aqua, but I actually like it) and the compatibility of Windows (hardware, software, whatever).

That would be perfect

DougInKY
February 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM

After running MS Windows though various versions from Win3 to XP and Linux pretty seriously since about 1998 I needed to replace my old laptop. I almost bought a System 76 laptop, but decided on a Macbook because I wanted some of the goodies that Macs have (iLife, iTunes and so on). Of course I will also admit that I have lusted after a Mac since I saw my first one in 1984. I can afford it now that I am as old as dirt and retired so I got a beautiful black Macbook. I am going to set this system up to dual boot with Ubuntu (I think) later after I get comfortable with it.

I still run Ubuntu on my desktop (Win XP and Ubuntu dual boot) and love Linux.

Get whichever turns your crank. Windows Vista looks very pretty (almost like OSX) and Ubuntu will dual boot with either machine.

cantormath
February 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM

thats because you are a moderator/forum-staff

::grin::

prizrak
February 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
No one jump me for this, but I'd much rather be writing this on a mac right now. Ubuntu is a great distro for some people but it just doesn't work for me. I want to be able to record and compose music, and do graphic work. GIMP, Ardour, and Rosegarden don't even come close to Photoshop, Tracktion, and Sibelius. For now I am on Ubuntu 90% of the time, Mac 5% at school, and windows 5% whenever I need to do recording and such. Maybe 10% doesn't seem like much to most people but when its the productive 10% of my computer time, it's enough for me to want to switch. Once Leopard is out(i may wait and see if the 15.3 inch macbook rumor is true as well) Im going to get a macbook for my birthday/grad present/my money. I won't look back.
When it comes to music Mac is really the only thing to use. Even Windows with all of the software it has doesn't come close to what the Mac can do. Not to mention that alot of pro music hardware has a Firewire interface.

I can see people who do music having a Mac as a "production" system and a Linux box as an everyday computer without having any issues.

Yossarian
February 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by cantormath

Well then I guess I'm a mod too, as the OS he describes sounds pretty good to me.

manmower
February 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
Windows all the way.

prizrak
February 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM

::grin::

Aside from Aqua I think his OS idea is very good. Then again if it has freedom of Ubuntu the GUI can be changed.

Adamant1988
February 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi there,

Which, of Mac and Windows is the lesser of two evils, would you say? Which interface would you choose to use if Linux was not an option. For example, if your boss was to say "We need a complete new line of computers, and they need to run PieceOfSoftware, which is available for Mac and Windows only, Linux is no longer an option" what would you choose?

Personally I'd choose Mac. I just love the interface and the build of their systems. Plus iLife is quite a nice package, just altogether nicer than Windows. What do you think? Vote in the poll.

- Matt

Why bother calling them evil? Both are products designed by companies. The intentions of those companies are sometimes questionable, but they are not "Evil". Honestly, if my boss were to say something like that to me, I would suggest the Windows PC. Strictly because of the reduction in cost, Macs are very expensive. I love Macs and I'd love to own one, but the price tag associated with them is a bit much for me. If Apple reduced the prices on them I might change my mind.

However, it's worth looking at the hidden costs associated with Windows as well. Support is a big thing with Windows as it's constantly breaking and under attack. You'll have to pay for anti-viral programs, anti-spyware, etc. because as a business you're talking about your data here... free just will not do, you want guarantees. Perhaps over time the usage cost of the windows PC would actually pan out to more than the Mac. I'd like to see some studies on this.

cantormath
February 24th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Well then I guess I'm a mod too, as the OS he describes sounds pretty good to me.

I was make a joke dudes, mellow out......
A MODerator of the forum.....as you can see below the name, it says forum staff.........
Your name does not say forum staff now does it Canada.

cantormath
February 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Windows all the way.

my thoughts.......

http://kim.biyn.com/files/pictures/tuxkiller.png

But compared to Microstuff.....Mac ROCKS!

izanbardprince
February 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Both Windows and Mac OS X suck, they're both closed platforms and they're both designed to steer you towards closed formats, and to pay for more commercial software.

Anyway, if I had to pick which one is a better platform, I'd say OS X, because it is more stable and doesn't have the virus problem, then again it has much less software too, so if you own a Mac, you're probably going to want to buy Windows anyway.

:popcorn:

digTro
February 24th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I had to chose Windows as I always go for custom built PCs. Macs don't even come into the picture.

enopepsoo
February 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I am with Digtro. At least with XP, you have freedom with your hardware. Overall, Mac is a more closed system.

Yossarian
February 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by cantormath
I was make a joke dudes, mellow out......
A MODerator of the forum.....as you can see below the name, it says forum staff.........
Your name does not say forum staff now does it Canada.

We're as mellow as can be. I was confused by your statement that aysiu said what he would like because he is a mod. What did you mean?

Oh yeah, and I'm not a moderator at all. I apologize for impersonating one, and will stick to Elvis from now on.

EDIT:

I'd also like to apologize for for the logical fallcy I made earlier.

Old Pink
February 25th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I found an old Windows screenshot of mine floating around the internet the other day (ironically, it was an article about Vista, and I was running skinned XP :lol:) and I had 14 (yes, fourteen) anti-virus/spyware/adware/malware software icons visible on my desktop/taskbar.

That alone would steer me towards Mac, in this scenario.

IYY
February 25th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Obviously Mac, because it's a Unix-like system.

StewieHead
February 25th, 2007, 04:07 AM
OS X all the way. After getting my mac ten months ago, I would never ever go back to windows. Seriously, OS X and linux gives me everything I want. OS X gives me idiot proof user friendlyness while linux is powerful and comfortable to program in. I think I could live without OS X, but as of now, I'm enjoying the comfort - heck, I'm even writing this on OS X (I have a partition with linux as well).

Dr. C
February 25th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I picked Windows becasue it has less restrictions than Mac OS X. Yes even Vista has less restrictions than Mac OS X.

I can legally run Windows XP Pro or Windows Vista Business or Ultimate in a Virtual Machine on my Ubuntu system. I have no use for the "home" versions of Windows so the no VM restriction in Vista is of no concern to me. Not possible with Mac OS X. In fact Mac OS X can only be run on Apple hardware, that makes it worse than even Vista!

cantormath
February 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM
We're as mellow as can be. I was confused by your statement that aysiu said what he would like because he is a mod. What did you mean?

Oh yeah, and I'm not a moderator at all. I apologize for impersonating one, and will stick to Elvis from now on.

EDIT:

I'd also like to apologize for for the logical fallcy I made earlier.

no prob, I didnt mean to come off the wrong way either.

cantormath
February 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM
I picked Windows becasue it has less restrictions than Mac OS X. Yes even Vista has less restrictions than Mac OS X.

I can legally run Windows XP Pro or Windows Vista Business or Ultimate in a Virtual Machine on my Ubuntu system. I have no use for the "home" versions of Windows so the no VM restriction in Vista is of no concern to me. Not possible with Mac OS X. In fact Mac OS X can only be run on Apple hardware, that makes it worse than even Vista!

you can buy a legal copy of osx and run it on vmware. And OSX is a ver of BSD(Unix) which makes it better then Microstuff.

Dr. C
February 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM
you can buy a legal copy of osx and run it on vmware. And OSX is a ver of BSD(Unix) which makes it better then Microstuff.

The copy of OS X may be legal when it is bought but installing it in VMWare on non Apple hardware is a violation of the license. Sort of like running Vista home basic in VMWare. Yes OS X was based on BSD but that does not make it free as in speech anymore that BSD code in Windows would make Windows free as in speech.

tigerpants
February 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM

What Apple did to BSD with OSX was like welding a gold anvil onto the bonnet of a formula one car. Sometimes less is more.

graigsmith
April 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
i'd choose windows. as much as i hate windows. i doubt i'd choose mac. just cause they are expensive, and even MORE closed down than windows considering that mac hardware is proprietary.

gashcr
April 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Had I the money... Mac, eyes closed... in the actual scenario... I would robe a bank to buy it, cause I ran away from M$ as if the devil was pursuing me. I would never return to M$, no way.

Hex_Mandos
April 24th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Windows, any day. Apple mostly leeches the FLOSS community, giving little in return. Not even a version of OSX that can run in non-Apple hardware. FLOSS as we know it today is in a large degree possible because modern PC hardware is a commodity, unlike the situation in the 80s where there were multiple competing platforms. And this open environment has been largely possible thanks to MS, "evil" as they may be. I don't like their products, I don't buy or use them. But they're a much better empire than Apple would be.

BoyOfDestiny
April 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM

I use my computer mainly for writing. So, given a choice of one or the other, I'd choose a notepad and a nice fountain pen. I'd pretty much have to give up computers. I could never bring myself to own a Mac simply because I have this uncontrollable urge to jump on one every time I see one, stupid plastic fisherprice crap.

God, I'm glad I don't have to use either.

(In a pinch, a patched up XP. At least you can play decent games on it).

:)

In conclusion - hurrah for linux.

My thoughts exactly. Although maybe I'd use my parents' old type writer hidden in a closet. Or maybe just purchase a fancy electronic one (they still make those right? I dunno...)
That would be nice (makes life easier typo wise, lets you see the line before it's printed)

b0ng0
April 24th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Windows - mainly because I build my own PCs and I find Apple to be a horrible company. They use negative advertising to highlight flaws in Windows whilst not actually saying *why* their software is so good, all their computers are the same and completely uncustomisable. So I guess I don't have anything really against MacOS (other than I think the software with it is bloated) it's more the company that makes it that I dislike. Not that MS are much better, but they give you more freedom than MacOS. Oh, and using MacOS seems to me to be the equivalent of drawing pictures with big chunky crayons - colourful and nice to look at but not practical. Rant over. :)

Demio
April 24th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Mac OS X any day.

Ubuntu is not bad, but it doesn't cut it for me, and Windows is just horrible. Since I bought my Mac I never had the need to go back to Windows except to play some games. And I occasionally use Ubuntu to use Xilinx (an FPGA design software).

I wrote a blog entry about this some time ago: http://blog.carloslage.eu/2006/11/17/windows-vs-gnulinux-vs-macosx-the-showdown/

It's a bit outdated though (I compare Windows XP with Mac OS X with Ubuntu 6.10).

I might write a new version soon when I have the time to properly test Vista and 7.04 :)

Happy_Man
April 24th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Pssh -- I hate both of them. Apple has its ads, which highlight the flaws of Windows, but not the benefits of switching; and Microsoft, with its underhanded tactics to keep the monopoly going. And so, I picked one at random. Defeats the purpose of the poll, but it's as close as I can get to voting for both.

testube_babies
June 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I voted for OS X, but I could go either way. Here's how I see it:

OS X: fast and intuitive, but lacks some of my favorite software packages.
Vista: slow and ugly, but comes with Freecell and Minesweeper.

I currently triple-boot OS X, Vista, and Feisty, and I find myself using both OS X and Vista equally, each for different tasks. I tend to enjoy them both, although Vista can be incredibly counterproductive at times.

bobbocanfly
June 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I would use a Mac on an Intel Core 2 Duo box (MacTel). Love the feel of Mac, much better looking than Aero will ever be. Also love how secure it is AND it is built on Darwin (type of Unix?) so therefor the terminal commands are the same. Also love the Dock, very clever but simple way of launching software.

starcraft.man
June 10th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I vote Windows (ol' windows to be more precise, probably even pre XP, certainly not endorsing Vista in any way).

What I don't like about Apple is their unnecessary lock in to their hardware. Whether its their iPod's or iPhone's that don't allow for battery change and other hardware replacement if it fails, or the fact that to run OSX you have to buy one of "their" machines. Not to mention of course their years of supporting DRM through iTunes (I don't buy their recent change of heart).