PDA

View Full Version : So much for privacy. Funny !

mips
February 21st, 2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf

and sad at the same time.

beniwtv
February 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
Yes, that's sad...

I'm stick of that type of things - while this is an example which is not real, there exist many type of things in real world that aren't just quite OK.

I mean - just look at DRM, WGA or "Trusted computing", these things really drive me mad.

All the technology a desktop user can have today in his system is lost only because of narrow-minded company's.

Not that I have a problem with a company making sales - there's nothing wrong in selling your products

- BUT -

When I install Ubuntu, I got almost all the tools I need - SSH, a working telnet, gEDIT, Network-manager, multiple screen areas, NFS and samba auto-install, NTP that actually works, an Email client and organizer (Evolution), OpenOffice, The Gimp, and almost 100% hw detection OOTB - etc to do my work.

In Windows I just get the blank OS that isn't even capable to use telnet with my router or gnugk and asterisk. I have to search for my driver CD's to get my ethernet working, to be able to download all the things I need. Then I daily have to fight spam, and whatever with anti-*insert-random-threat* here, like 100+ programs that slow down the PC.
Then I get those funny error messages only because of an bad-signed java applet, on a page which I have to visit for my company, that takes the system down.

It isn't even capable of connecting to the house's community WIFI, so I had to buy an AP myself and get an internet conention (Works with feisty on my lappy - which has only feisty).

And don't get me even started on Vista...

With Windows, I just loose all the technology Linux gives me, so I for my part, decided to let windows go forever.

Agreed, Linux is not for everyone - but Windows isn't either (for me it's not :lolflag:). Both have their pros and cons. Both have good sides and bad sides.

Just decide for yourself with which system you can work best - that's the only important thing: that you're able to get your work done.

Hope I didn't bash Windows too much? :lolflag:

Linux rulezzz! Let the party begin! :popcorn:

Paul41
February 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
This is funny, but scary also. Even if things don't go that far and it is only the government watching everything we do, which may already be the case, it is still taking things too far.

helliewm
February 21st, 2007, 02:19 PM
We are already going in this direction in the UK. Take a look at my website which is in my signature www.thebigoptout.com and also www.no2id.net.

It really is scary.

Helen

Kateikyoushi
February 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Indeed it is quite sad, and with those new tiny tiny Toshiba rfids Mission impossible looks so odlschool already.

Unfortunately the government can't know enough about us so they just need reasons to take away our freedom.

rolando2424
February 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
That's scary... :(

H.E. Pennypacker
February 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Notice that pizza place is using Windows? Funny.

Zuuswa
February 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
I believe that this is inevitable (if not in some form or another, already existant). The important issue that we can address, however, is who can see our information. For example, in the UK, what if everybody were allowed to see the video from allof the cameras mounted on the lightposts or streetsigns, instead of just police officials? You could see around that dark corner, and see if anybody was waiting to jump you. Or you could check and see if your date is waiting at the park for you, or watch your children walk home from school, etc. etc. But then, anybody could be watching you, including those who wish you harm. Most importantly, in this scenario, is that theoretically by allowing the freedom of information, those who choose to abuse the system are caught by the system, including malicious police officers and government officials.

Mr Wrath
February 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM
For example, in the UK, what if everybody were allowed to see the video from allof the cameras mounted on the lightposts or streetsigns, instead of just police officials?

You already can...look around on google enough...you'll find them. There are also the automated ones where you can actually control them as well (zoom, pan 360, up & down controls). :)

There is a particular company out there that does the web enabled cameras that apparently never put security on the cameras they set up...somewhat disturbing to know anyone can see what the officials see.