PDA

View Full Version : Give anything up for Lent?

troymcdavis
February 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM

yabbadabbadont
February 21st, 2007, 06:37 AM
Nope, I'm not Catholic. ;)

Skia_42
February 21st, 2007, 06:38 AM
I am not familiar with Lent, how long are you giving up eating and speaking?

steven8
February 21st, 2007, 06:43 AM
Until Easter, on April 8th. I have never given anything up for lent, although my wife wants us to go to Ash Wednesday service tonight. Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the Lenten season.

tgalati4
February 21st, 2007, 06:47 AM
I am Catholic and I gave up using Windows. Oh, snap, that was years ago.

steven8
February 21st, 2007, 06:49 AM
I am Catholic and I gave up using Windows. Oh, snap, that was years ago.

You're doin' great! Your a good Catholic!

Skia_42
February 21st, 2007, 06:57 AM
I gave up catholocism 2 years ago, what does that make me?

steven8
February 21st, 2007, 06:58 AM
I gave up catholocism 2 years ago, what does that make me?

Lent-Free. :lolflag:

Skia_42
February 21st, 2007, 07:05 AM
sweet, \\:D/

SunnyRabbiera
February 21st, 2007, 07:09 AM
I gave up christianity, wow thats irony huh? :P

jclmusic
February 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM
lol i'm not a christian either. and lol @ 100% no's.

Spr0k3t
February 21st, 2007, 10:04 AM
I gave up Lent. Next week, I'm going to give up on quitting.

beercz
February 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM
I also give up giving up for lent.

mips
February 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Anybody else give anything up?

I give nothing up for religion, enough people have given the ultimate sacrifice.

mediax
February 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
Yes - religion (but that was years ago . . .) :lolflag:

troymcdavis
February 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM

Hendrixski
February 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM
I can see where this is going.. Everyone thinks they're orriginal by saying they're giving up Christianity for lent. Maybe you didn't get the memo, it's not funny unless you're still in high school.

I should give up being critical. Because I really do think lowly of people who blindly follow trends then think they're cool. Then I say stuff that may offend them, thinking that somehow I'm actually helping them. I think I'll give up being critical for lent. :)

gjtoth
February 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Watermelon

BLTicklemonster
February 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
Only stuff I could give up for lent is already loaned out. :(

Sunflower1970
February 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM
I decided to give up Microsoft XP :biggrin:

Zuuswa
February 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
I gave up cigarrettes . . .

I wonder how long it will last this year :p

Hendrixski
February 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
I gave up cigarrettes . . .

I wonder how long it will last this year :p

LOL, but your icon is a dude smoking... :) Good luck, I hear it's pretty hard to quit. I used to smoke at parties and bars in college (back when you could still smoke in bars) but never during the week, somehow I didn't get addicted. But all my friends who did get addicted say they want to quit and that it's really hard to stop.

Zuuswa
February 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
:) Good luck,

thanks, Im going to need it badly.

fuscia
February 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
being an apathetic-agnostic (don't know if there's a god, or not. couldn't care less), lent is pretty much a big joke to me. anyway, i thought it would be a lark to use it as an excuse to quit something for a while. i'm giving up drinking.

:lolflag: (i'll never make it.)

Brunellus
February 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
Yes. Alcohol, generally. I'm also fasting on Fridays (and today, Ash Wednesday).

I didn't 'get' Lent until I had gotten older. For me, it's the period of the year I try to put my life into perspective, personally and spiritually.

Hendrixski
February 21st, 2007, 10:48 PM
Yes. Alcohol, generally. I'm also fasting on Fridays (and today, Ash Wednesday).

I didn't 'get' Lent until I had gotten older. For me, it's the period of the year I try to put my life into perspective, personally and spiritually.

That's pretty deep. thank you for sharing that. :)

justin whitaker
February 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM
For me, it's the period of the year I try to put my life into perspective, personally and spiritually.

Been doing alot of that myself, despite being very lapsed. Completely forgot it was Lent until I started seeing folks with the ash....introspection is not religion specific, so thanks for reminding folks of that.

Brunellus
February 21st, 2007, 11:19 PM
Been doing alot of that myself, despite being very lapsed. Completely forgot it was Lent until I started seeing folks with the ash....introspection is not religion specific, so thanks for reminding folks of that.
The psalm for today is: "if today you hear His voice, harden not your heart."

bobbybobington
February 22nd, 2007, 02:04 AM
This year I'm actually giving up something I like a lot, Video games. I think its good to take some time to focus on what's really important and practice some self denial in a society were you are expected to consume.

Spr0k3t
February 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Six people voted "yes"... I wonder what they gave up.

I voted "yes" because I gave up Lent.

For the other apathetic-agnostic people in this forum like me, our church meets Tuesday through Saturday at Joe's Tavern from Happy-Hour till close. Confessions can be given at the porcelin throne to the patron in the next stall. If'n your interested of course.

fuscia
February 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
being an apathetic-agnostic (don't know if there's a god, or not. couldn't care less), lent is pretty much a big joke to me. anyway, i thought it would be a lark to use it as an excuse to quit something for a while. i'm giving up drinking.

:lolflag: (i'll never make it.)

well, so much for that. maybe i'll try to do a ramadan kind of thing and only drink at night.

yabbadabbadont
February 23rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
I changed my mind. I've decided to give up my poor attempts to spread humor through these forums.... ummmmmm, oh crap, blew it already.

kdawg
February 23rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Eh... had 9 years of catholic schooling... now I'm atheist. No lent for me!!

tagginannie
February 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Like Skia, yabbadabbadont and Troy I'm not a Catholic either, I'm a episcopalian (sort of) and I gave up lentil soup :lolflag:

Suzy:KS
Kubuntu 6.10 edgy PentuimIII (i586) 500mhz 128 mg ram