PDA

View Full Version : some feedback on my tutorial to be...

Choad
February 21st, 2007, 02:11 AM
ok i am making a little "bridge" tutorial for people that have started learning pyGTK/glade and want to move on to more complex programs with multiple source files and whatnot

but before i bother writing anything to explain what does what, would someone with a bit more experience than me review my programs and tell me if i have figured stuff out correctly. no point in teaching bad habits... plus if anything im doing is bad practice then i need to know lol

anyway, have a look. they're pretty obvious, shouldnt need any explanation

Choad
February 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM
38 views and no one has anything to say?

Unisted
February 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM
I viewed because I thought I might be able to comment upon the tutorial but I'm not learning pyGTK/glade so I can't!

Maybe repost with learning pyGTK/glade tutorial? or amend the title to this thread (if you can)?

po0f
February 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Choad,

So, uhh, where's the tutorial? All that was in the tarball was a bunch of source files. They weren't even commented.

Now, if it was the actual source files you wanted comments on, you need to comment your source. Especially if they are components of a tutorial. And those "#____________________ Import _________________________" and "#____________________ /Import _________________________" style comments are a total waste of space and, IMO, detract from (not enhance) the layout/flow of your program. If you really want to comment where you do all your imports, a simple "# import modules" or something would suffice. I always thought the "import" keyword gave away what you were doing, but that's just me. ;)

And the preferred way of importing modules is standard modules first (anything that came with the default distribution of Python), third party modules (PyGTK, database adapters, whatever) second, and your modules last.

That was based on opening up one of the files.

Choad
February 21st, 2007, 11:42 PM
thats the point, i havent written the tutorial yet. thus "tutorial to be"

i was just wondering about the programs themselves. ill take in to account what you've said

Choad
February 24th, 2007, 09:29 PM
ok, well so far i have "modules imported in the wrong order"

can i assume the rest of the source is up to scratch then? its "tutorial" 3 that im most interested in peoples opinions on.

jvc26
February 24th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'd second the long comments are a bit messy and don't really help you that much: Just a simple:

#Imports

try:
import pygtk
pygtk.require("2.0")
except:
pass
try:
import gtk
except:
sys.exit(1)

# Onscreen Keyboard Class
# this class creates an on screen keyboard to enter text with. to pack it in
# a gtk container, use it's vBox widget. it requires a widget with a get_text
# and set_text method to be passed to it. it uses this widget to write in.

for instance looks a bit neater in my opinion - you don't need the big _______import__________ and _______/import_________
Il

Choad
February 24th, 2007, 09:55 PM
enough about the comment style lol. i like them, because when you have a big source file with lots of classes its nice to be able to see what class is what, even from the end of the class code, without scrolling up to see it at the top. but anyway, ill remove them, due to popular demand, but would like some feedback on the code side of things if its possible

Choad
February 24th, 2007, 10:16 PM
i told a lie. i kept it in, but refined it somewhat

# <[ Imports ]>
try:
import pygtk
pygtk.require("2.0")
except:
pass
try:
import gtk
except:
sys.exit(1)
# <[ /Imports ]>

# <[ On Screen Keyboard ]>
#
# this class creates an on screen keyboard to enter text with. to pack it in
# a gtk container, use it's vBox widget. it requires a widget with a get_text
# and set_text method to be passed to it. it uses this widget to write in.

class OnScreenKeyboard:

<snip>

# <[ /On Screen Keyboard ]>

still serves the same purpose but its less obtrusive. everyones a winner

jvc26
February 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Thats not too bad :) Prefer it to the old way anyhow!
Il

Choad
February 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
cool. i think ill start writing the tutorial soon. i have started a different project now tho... was using windows and remembered how good minesweeper is. must make a clone. (i realise there are probably a half dozen minesweeper clones already available but w/eva)