PDA

View Full Version : Commercialess internet stations?

guice
February 20th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Alright, so I got streaming working from XMMS to my Logitech Music Anywhere transmitter/receiver to my stereo system.

Now, I'm wondering if there are any decent stations out there? Sadly, unlike OSX or WinXP, the audio apps in Linux don't come with a slew of preprogrammed internet stations.

Right now, I have di.fm streaming, but sometimes I feel like listening to some good Alternative Rock/Rock music. What is a good site to get some XMMS compliant stations?

The reason it has to be XMMS is I have yet to find any other Linux music player that allows me to /independently/ select the output device and successfully play di.fm playlists. Everything uses system default, which is /not/ what I want or had trouble loading di.fm channels.

I would love to use Pandora, but alas, you can't tell Flash to use a different audio driver. :(

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jellicletrb
February 21st, 2007, 01:57 AM
I just go to shoutcast.com and pick one of the hundreds of stations that they have, and use the "Winamp" link. You can download the link, right click it and use "open with" and select XMMS, or you can just set XMMS as the default player for the .pls file type.

Hint: All the "Club 977" and "Sky FM" channels seem to be good, and the only advertising is plugging their premium services.

guice
February 21st, 2007, 04:58 AM
Cool, didn't know of that site. Thanks. Checking it out now. I'm familiar with Sky FM, but seriously, none of their stations appeal to me. I've tried all their stations that would even remotely interest me. Thanks again!

Phatfiddler
February 21st, 2007, 05:10 AM
I have to agree with the Sky FM channels. No commercials and have a large variety of music, but you no like so....if you want a huge listing, get streamtuner. It lists all current channels for shoutcast, Live365, google stations, punkcast, Xiph, and basic.ch and lets you listen to them with XMMS.

fuscia
February 21st, 2007, 05:23 AM
http://somafm.com/

beercz
February 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
The BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk) broadcasts on the internet and they are commercial free.

Debaser
February 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
Yes, you have got to try SomaFM! And then if you dig - please support their cause.

Another one of my favorites is Nectarine Radio http://www.scenemusic.net/ which plays electronic "scene music" from back in the day to now.

Jellicletrb
February 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
I have to agree with the Sky FM channels. No commercials and have a large variety of music, but you no like so....if you want a huge listing, get streamtuner. It lists all current channels for shoutcast, Live365, google stations, punkcast, Xiph, and basic.ch and lets you listen to them with XMMS.

Thanks, I didn't know about that one myself. I got streamtuner a couple hours ago and have been playing with it, it's most awesome :KS

ice60
February 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM
you can get streamripper too, then streamtuner will have a record button you can use.

justaguynpc
February 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Streamtuner --> Shoutcast --> Jack (Germany [.de])
No commercials
Station identification in German (short)
If you are familiar with the "Jack" format common in US /Canada, you will love it!

guice
February 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
That steamripper is pretty cool. But quick question; where does it save the files? Since its running as me, I thought it would save them in my home directory, but no new directories/files in there.

NM, found it. It was in my home directory. I just missed it the 2 bagillion times I've looked over it. lol