PDA

View Full Version : Mark Shuttleworth on Feisty (video clip)

m.musashi
February 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I stumbled upon this and it may not be new news to many of you, but I thougt it was interesting - especially since I hadn't seen or heard Shuttleworth before. There are also some clips there from Quinn Storm on Beryl, a guy from gnome and some other Ubuntu folks.

http://www.lulu.tv/?p=4337

karellen
February 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
nice guy, he has done a great job so far with ubuntu

barney_1
February 20th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Cool, video is about three months old but still fun to watch.

I'm skeptical about how far automated printer driver installation can go for the feisty release. It would be nice if more printer manufacturers had drivers that server a large number of their printer models (20 or more per driver) so that it was so difficult to cover all possibilities. But I do hope that some headway can be made in printer installation; It's a major rough spot for the average window user who might want to switch over.

PrinceArithon
February 20th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I like how he says he wants the boot up to be like a MAC and not Windows LOL. It really made me laugh.

I never heard the man speak before, only seen a picture...I think. Anyway, I just want to be his friend.

m.musashi
February 21st, 2007, 12:13 AM
Cool, video is about three months old but still fun to watch.
I figured it was old but it's new to me:). I had never seen or heard him before.

I like how he says he wants the boot up to be like a MAC and not Windows LOL. It really made me laugh.

I never heard the man speak before, only seen a picture...I think. Anyway, I just want to be his friend.

I liked the mac comment too. I think at some level Linux users respect mac at least to the extent that OSX is built on a Linux-like kernel (is BSD like Linux or is Linux like BSD? it is BSD that apple used, right?). Anyway, they are cousins in some way. What I'm waiting for is the day that MS announces that it is going to use a Linux or Linux-like kernel.

mustang
February 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM
I figured it was old but it's new to me:). I had never seen or heard him before.

I liked the mac comment too. I think at some level Linux users respect mac at least to the extent that OSX is built on a Linux-like kernel (is BSD like Linux or is Linux like BSD? it is BSD that apple used, right?). Anyway, they are cousins in some way. What I'm waiting for is the day that MS announces that it is going to use a Linux or Linux-like kernel.

I think linux users respect mac users more out of anti-windows sentiment than the alikeness of the operating systems each user is using. And yes, OSX is based off BSD which is based off UNIX.

m.musashi
February 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM
I think linux users respect mac users more out of anti-windows sentiment than the alikeness of the operating systems each user is using. And yes, OSX is based off BSD which is based off UNIX.

That's probably equally true but I first began to respect apple again (I used them up until the early 90s) when I heard they moved to Linux which was my albiet incorrect understanding at the time. If I was ever going to pay for an OS again (I will never give MS another dime - if I have to use windows I'll use XP which I legally purchased - d'oh!) I would buy a mac.

However, I think there are a lot of Linux users who really dislike apple as well.

Kateikyoushi
February 21st, 2007, 12:50 AM
First time I saw and heard him speak, a pity some of what he mentions did not make it to feisty meantime, like the mac like booting, I much more prefer roaming. Still remember the sour taste it left in my mouth when could not use the net at the aiport had to ask my girlfirend's notebook.

Well no surprise he is not shown recently it's vistatime these days.

Osx is based on BSD which is a unix derivative from the 70s, but I think it is more liked because it doesn't have 50 times the linux marketshare like the other OS.

I would be surprised to hear they use linux kernel but a completely new kernel is in the works now which might not make to our boxes in this decade if there will be still some boxes at all when it arrives.