PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Handbook

darthsabbath
May 24th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if there were any plans for an Ubuntu handbook.... basically a compilation of all the collective wisdom of the Ubuntu Guide, the HOWTOs, the WIKI, etc., to help get people up and running with Ubuntu (maybe that'd be a good title!). Basically, an online book that would take a user through installation and setting up the system, to basic usage (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.), setting up printers, SAMBA, and what have you.

Yeah, I know the information is out there, but it would be nice to have it all in one place.

As a matter of fact, if there'd be enough interest, I may even make an attempt to get started on this myself. Dunno if one person could handle such a massive project (as I'm no expert in many necessary topics), but I'd definitely be willing to get it going, and help out as much as possible.

I want to help out Ubuntu, and I thought this might be a good way.

Thoughts?

Phil

jiyuu0
May 24th, 2005, 06:25 AM
What i have planed is not a handbook but instead...

Ubuntu Training Material (Presentation Slides) + Coursebook

It's part of my upcoming project for the community :)

Basically the material should cover:

1) Brief technical theory + Installation + Live CD + Dual boot
2) Desktop + Networking + Internet + Printer Configurations
3) Open Source Applications (Linux/Windows)
4) OpenOffice (Basics)

Once I've finished my lastest updates on the Add-On-CD (which is part of the training material too), am going to start working on this immediately.
*Currently uploading the Add-On-CD (snapshot 2005-05-23) and doing some final testing on it

Will keep you guys posted. Hopefully this will turn out a good one too :)

darthsabbath
May 24th, 2005, 05:34 PM
What i have planed is not a handbook but instead...

Ubuntu Training Material (Presentation Slides) + Coursebook

It's part of my upcoming project for the community :)

Basically the material should cover:

1) Brief technical theory + Installation + Live CD + Dual boot
2) Desktop + Networking + Internet + Printer Configurations
3) Open Source Applications (Linux/Windows)
4) OpenOffice (Basics)

That's basically what I had in mind. LOL Can't wait to see what you can come up with... I love the Starter Guide and the Add-On CD! :D

zaxer
May 24th, 2005, 09:10 PM
This would be sooooo great :)

thorN
May 26th, 2005, 10:43 PM
(First off: Wow, didn't know that the Add-On CD existed, nice one team :smile: .)

I think it's a good idea to collect the information in a Newbie Tutorial, as darksabbath has suggested.

However, it seems this would be adding a point of failure - this information would have to kept very clear and also be updated to work with the latest versions of the software.

It seems to me that the best thing would be a tutorial which explained all sorts of concepts, but the actual technical walkthroughs would be offsite (to the wiki, guide or forum). This would reduce the grunt work of maintaining the thing - which may be considerable if it's a well-written, easy to understand piece of literature.

This would be an opportunity to give the beginner a bit more of an explanation about what's happening - instead of "just" bizarre looking commands to enter into the console.

Dunno if one person could handle such a massive project (as I'm no expert in many necessary topics), but I'd definitely be willing to get it going, and help out as much as possible. I think a wiki would allow the workload to be dispersed, the tutorial could form a subsection of the documentation bit of the wiki?

jonrkc
May 27th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Excellent idea to have a Ubuntu handbook, either online, in printed form, or both.

Personally I don't like wikis, for two reasons: (1) you get sent to so many pages that only say something like, "Would you like to contribute this page?" and that wastes your time when you're trying to solve a problem--maybe on a deadline; (2) I never feel sure that the contributors necessarily know what they're talking about, because wiki production is open to virtually anybody who wants to add to it.

I would like to see a formally organized handbook. The project is too large and detailed for one person to undertake without being overwhelmed very soon by frustration, so it will have to be a team effort. I would be glad to read anything written, make comments, and make suggestions for better grammar, syntax, etc. However, I honestly don't think I'd be a good person even for that job, because I'm not technically knowledgable enough, and I'm sure I'd let some errors, perhaps major ones, slip through the net, so to speak.

Best of luck to whoever initiates and coordinates this project. I'd really like to see the book in print if possible. When your computer's completely down, it doesn't do much good to have your reference manual only on the Web. Trust me. I speak from experience.

TravisNewman
May 27th, 2005, 01:01 AM
there was a plan for it a while back, but it seemed to slip through the cracks because it seemed the doc team was planning on such a book. It'd be a good idea, definitely.

totalshredder
May 27th, 2005, 02:16 AM
It would also be awesome if somebody decided to write an Ubuntu book. Whenever you go to borders or barnes and nobel, there's always at least 50 linux related books there, so somebody will write one sooner or later... or I hope!

Luke

Shakie
May 27th, 2005, 02:30 AM
This is a really good idea and exactly what us new users need.

jiyuu0
May 27th, 2005, 05:40 AM
just created this thread:

UbuntuGuide Learning Material for Beginners
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=188692