PDA

View Full Version : School of the Ubuntu

lyceum
February 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I just signed up for this team, have not been accepted yet, so I hope I am not being too forward. I am putting together some classes for Ubuntu education. I do not know yet how I am going to pull them off (as in where I would do this, everything else I have under control), but here are my plans.

Part 1 Installation
1. How to install Ubuntu on an old PC that meets the requirements (easy install)

2. How to install Xubuntu on an old PC that does not meet the requirements (alt install)

3. How to install Vista and Ubuntu from scratch (new install for both, dual boot)

4. How to install Ubuntu without killing Windows (dual boot, box came with XP)

Part 2 What to do with Ubuntu
1. Firefox, Gaim and Evolution. How to set up and use.

2. OpenOffice.org, how to use (may need to do this one in more than one class)

3. How to modify your desktop, and add/remove software (personalize)

4. How to use the Ubuntu Forums to get the best results (searching, and asking for help)

(3 and 4 would be together, most likely)

I thought that if I could get a place to do these presentations, it would be a good way to get people involved and educated in FOSS. I may be overstepping my bounds, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I am a trainer and write manuls for my office, so it seemed like the way to go. Let me know your thoughts.

hackle577
February 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Those are some sweet ideas! Once you have been accepted (you will be shortly), you should check out our Education Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OhioTeam/EducationTeam), which you will probably want to join. They are focused on educating new users and getting them accustomed to Ubuntu and FOSS software.

Welcome to the OhioTeam!
Adam

lyceum
February 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Those are some sweet ideas! Once you have been accepted (you will be shortly), you should check out our Education Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OhioTeam/EducationTeam), which you will probably want to join. They are focused on educating new users and getting them accustomed to Ubuntu and FOSS software.

Welcome to the OhioTeam!
Adam

Cool, thanks for the link. I did not know this even existed! I was thinking after I posted that my idea was too off base (as everything seems to happen on line). :)

Vorian
February 20th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the team lyceum :)

These are some great ideas!

I just signed up for this team, have not been accepted yet, so I hope I am not being too forward. I am putting together some classes for Ubuntu education. I do not know yet how I am going to pull them off (as in where I would do this, everything else I have under control), but here are my plans.

Part 1 Installation
1. How to install Ubuntu on an old PC that meets the requirements (easy install)

2. How to install Xubuntu on an old PC that does not meet the requirements (alt install)

3. How to install Vista and Ubuntu from scratch (new install for both, dual boot)

4. How to install Ubuntu without killing Windows (dual boot, box came with XP)

Part 2 What to do with Ubuntu
1. Firefox, Gaim and Evolution. How to set up and use.

2. OpenOffice.org, how to use (may need to do this one in more than one class)

3. How to modify your desktop, and add/remove software (personalize)

4. How to use the Ubuntu Forums to get the best results (searching, and asking for help)

(3 and 4 would be together, most likely)

I thought that if I could get a place to do these presentations, it would be a good way to get people involved and educated in FOSS. I may be overstepping my bounds, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I am a trainer and write manuls for my office, so it seemed like the way to go. Let me know your thoughts.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 21st, 2007, 12:32 AM
Hi lyceum!!!

My name is Anthony, and I'm beyond delighted to see you interested in doing these things. Like someone pointed you to before, these are exactly what the Education Team is trying to accomplish, and I would personally love you to join the Education Team. I think you would be a great help! Unfortunatley, ET (lol) has been a little short of members and that has hindered some progress in setting up these presentations/workshops.

I would love to talk to you some time about some of the ideas you have, and about creating resources for the ET! Also we have an unofficial meeting tomorrow night at 8pm on IRC (freenode), the channel is #ubuntu-ohio. I would love it if you joined us :KS

lyceum
February 21st, 2007, 12:40 AM
I have another on-line meeting tomorrow at 8, but I will try to sign on and test my multi-tasking abilities :)

I have not used freenote before, so I will have to look into using it, if you have any suggestions for a good walk though on it, please let me know.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 21st, 2007, 12:47 AM
I have another on-line meeting tomorrow at 8, but I will try to sign on and test my multi-tasking abilities :)

I have not used freenote before, so I will have to look into using it, if you have any suggestions for a good walk though on it, please let me know.

If you've never used IRC before, it's actually built into Gaim. Just simply fire up Gaim, add an account for IRC. Under options make sure it's signing onto freenode.org

When you get a welcome message, just type

/join #ubuntu-ohio

into the send message box, and it will take you to the Ubuntu-Ohio channel where we have our meetings.

lyceum
February 21st, 2007, 12:53 AM
If you've never used IRC before, it's actually built into Gaim. Just simply fire up Gaim, add an account for IRC. Under options make sure it's signing onto freenode.org

When you get a welcome message, just type

/join #ubuntu-ohio

into the send message box, and it will take you to the Ubuntu-Ohio channel where we have our meetings.

cool, thanks!

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Have you thought about any of the sub-teams? you seem to have a lot of great ideas and talent (especially in the artwork).

:guitar:

lyceum
February 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Have you thought about any of the sub-teams? you seem to have a lot of great ideas and talent (especially in the artwork).

:guitar:

I signed up for the education sub-team, still waiting to be accepted though. The more I help others the more I learn, so I am wanting to do as much as I am able. :)

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hi again lyceum! I was wondering, what is the name you use for Launchpad? For some reason I was never given an email about you asking to join the team on Launchpad. Did you also sign up for the general LoCo as well? As soon as I find out your launchpad name I will add you into the Education Team!

lyceum
February 24th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hi again lyceum! I was wondering, what is the name you use for Launchpad? For some reason I was never given an email about you asking to join the team on Launchpad. Did you also sign up for the general LoCo as well? As soon as I find out your launchpad name I will add you into the Education Team!

It is E.David Ferriman if it is not lyceum

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 24th, 2007, 09:50 PM
You've been added :popcorn:

lyceum
February 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM
You've been added :popcorn:

Cool, thanks!