PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a good MP3 player?

Jammy_Stuff
February 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
My iPod (with rockbox installed) has just broken. It won't switch on at all and connecting it to the PC does nothing so I'm guessing its the logic board. So can someone please recommend a good MP3 player with good Linux compatability and the ability to play (whether it comes with it or you have to add it) FLAC and OGG files etc?

I was saving up for a Wii as well :(

equal
February 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
If you don't mind a player that's a little bulky (maybe twice the thickness of current ipods) go on ebay and see if you can find an iRiver h320 or h340. .ogg support out of the box, great sound quality, and computers just treat it as an external harddrive.

aretei
February 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I was actually doing my own research with same thing in mind and found Cowon (JetAudio) to be interesting. Although I don't own it, it would be the only brand I would buy it. I believe it's worth looking into.

MetalMusicAddict
February 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Give a look at Cowon.

bonzodog
February 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I also would suggest you look at the Samsung range of Players, as they are just seen as USB mass storage devices, and you can just drag and Drop almost any audio format to them. Very easy to use, and totally linux supported.

sorcererx84
February 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I'm using LG's UP3D. Half a gig of memory, plays mp3, ogg, wma and Linux is officially supported.

PartisanEntity
February 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I would suggest the Archos Gmini XS 202s with 20GB drive. It's a pure mp3 player, nothing fancy, you can't view pictures or video.

http://www.archos.com/products/audio/gmini_xs_202S/index.html?country=global&lang=en

wh0rd
February 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I was planning on getting this TrekStor Vibez, here's the review on it:

http://review.zdnet.com/TrekStor_Vibez_8GB/4556-6490_16-32203780.html?tag=ut

I think it's the best looking Ogg/mp3 player out there.

B. W.
February 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Give a look at Cowon.
I had the Cowon A2 for a while, and it was solid (the main reason why I sold it was becuase the MP3 decoder couldn't play my MP3s without skipping). The X5 or the newer D2 should be OK.

mand0
February 20th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I highly recommend the Cowon Iaudio X5L. I've had it for almost 2 years now it it just kicks ***.

tigerpants
February 20th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Creative Zen's all the way for me. Best sound quality of any mp3 player ive heard.

hizaguchi
February 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Doesn't play .ogg, but Best Buy has a brand of players called Insignia. I got one with 2GB of flash memory (plus a micro-SD expansion slot) for $120. It's got a click wheel, a very nice color screen, 2 headphone jacks, and a removable rechargeable battery (20+ hours life). It plays .mp3, .wma, and I think .wav, as well as displaying quite a few image formats, playing a few video formats, having a separate place for audio books, and tuning in and recording FM radio. The best part is that it connects to your computer with a standard mini USB cable and is then recognized just like any other USB storage device. You just copy music into the music folder, pictures to the pictures folder, etc. Amarok even automates that if you set it up as a "generic media device" and tell it where the music folder is. Sucks that it doesn't do .ogg, but I let that slide for the other features and the price.