PDA

View Full Version : Who is here???

arkie
February 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I am an Arkansan and a complete noobie to Ubuntu.
Just wanted to say Hi and ask who is out there.

JJ

yabbadabbadont
February 20th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Hi there!

I guess I shouldn't have said that. I'm not in Arkansas. :D
Close though. I'm in the Ozarks.

arkie
February 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Where in the Ozarks??

I am in Bella Vista which is far NW Arkansas

djheadley
February 20th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Another Ozarkian here, north of the border :-) close to Fort Leonard Wood.

Vorian
February 20th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Where in the Ozarks??

I grew up in Bentonville.

yabbadabbadont
February 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM
Where in the Ozarks??

Just South of Springfield.

yabbadabbadont
February 21st, 2007, 01:33 AM
Another Ozarkian here, north of the border :-) close to Fort Leonard Wood.

I went to school in your area. I spent a couple of years in Rolla.

Vorian
February 21st, 2007, 01:47 AM

I went to SMSU! I guess its just MSU now :(

yabbadabbadont
February 21st, 2007, 01:49 AM
I went to SMSU! I guess its just MSU now :(

Did you ever make it to "Billy's Chili" before he retired?

x4nd3l2
February 21st, 2007, 01:55 AM
Well, I too am here. I am a freshman at Northwest Missouri State University!

lol, complete noob as well, but I am trying to learn quickly.

yabbadabbadont
February 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM
Well, I too am here. I am a freshman at Northwest Missouri State University!

lol, complete noob as well, but I am trying to learn quickly.

That's about as far from Arkansas as you can get and still be in Missouri... :lol: How are things in Marysville? I haven't been up there since the last Industrial Arts contest I attended back in the early '80s.

SumChipper
February 25th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Another noob here (just installed ubuntu Friday morning) and I live in Fayetteville.

Drate
February 25th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Look, ARKANSANS! Rockin... I'm from Donaldson.

webdr
February 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
WebDR / aka RacerX

Ark / Tex

Here, and Ubuntu is a great start.

sgtbob
February 25th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Kansas here - originally from Tennessee - just started with Ubuntu and am just surfing to see what is available. At the risk of being classified as an old f..t (age 74), I'll need all the help I can get.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say 'howdy'! Will be lurking around to see tips and for help along the way.

Sgtbob:guitar:

Drate
February 28th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Well, if you have any questions we can start there!

Cloudy
February 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Haha, an Arkansas team. Cool. The last time I was here I only knew of one other Arkansan. I'm from Rose Bud originally, but I'm living at the dorms in Beebe while I attend school at ASU-Beebe.

jo3
March 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
heya guys.. Just saying HEY! I'm here in Hot Springs, just another *nix, *buntu fan!

Anakashar
March 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
Sherwood, here.

Mostly I use Kubuntu for my daily linux needs, heh.

freeflyer57
March 5th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I'm from Rogers.

Brookranger
March 5th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Been using Ubuntu a couple of years. Live near Mountain Home. I have used just about every linux distribution out there and believe Ubuntu is overall the best.:)

freeflyer57
March 5th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Welcome to the team, brookranger! And yes, Ubuntu is the greatest distro.

Cloudy
March 6th, 2007, 01:57 AM
May I ask how everyone discovered *nix and Ubuntu?

Vorian
March 7th, 2007, 02:46 AM
May I ask how everyone discovered *nix and Ubuntu?
/me prods cloudy to start a new thread :) maybe even a poll!

Cloudy
March 7th, 2007, 04:27 AM
/me prods cloudy to start a new thread :) maybe even a poll!

/me bruises easily and goes to do just that

Razorback
March 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I am from Harrison.

=D> for Arkansas!!

greg m
March 10th, 2007, 10:53 PM
conway and two with nvidia problems so they are not working

jcconnor
March 12th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'm in SW Little Rock and have been using it (this is my first foray into Linux) since January. I have a couple of other systems at home that my kids and wife use but the next boxes I get will either come preinstalled with Ubuntu or I will cut them over myself.

John

Tommy
March 13th, 2007, 03:19 AM

I'm in Conway, too, but I know nothing about nvidia. A great resource has been the Central Arkansas Linux Users Group -- http://www.carlug.org/ -- OOPS the web site is still down, but the email list is working.... try https://lists.silverorb.net/mailman/listinfo/carlug-discuss

The group has a get-together third saturday every month at San Francisco Bread Co., 10am. Coming up this Saturday.

Next April 21st the group is planning its annual Install Feast, which is usually at the Faulkner County Library on Tyler St. All day installations, hardware swap, snacks, pizza & drinks.

Tommy
March 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Oh, and just for completeness, there's also the Little Rock LUG http://www.lrlug.org/ -- I believe they're currently meeting monthly at Sufficient Grounds.

And there's a wiki page set up to link to ALL Arkansas Linux Users Groups:

http://www.arlug.org/

Hey... The Arkansas Ubuntu LoCo team isn't on there yet....

Seryozha
March 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM
NWA in da HIZOUSE!

noboundaries
March 17th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Bulusan

tophat2445
March 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Hey...I'm from Piggott Arkansas...its in the most North-east part of the state..

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now..
Kenny

tonyr1988
March 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM

How far south of Springfield? I grew up in Neosho, and I'm settled in Fayetteville for college.

yabbadabbadont
March 20th, 2007, 05:00 AM
How far south of Springfield? I grew up in Neosho, and I'm settled in Fayetteville for college.

Nixa. The last time I went through Fayetteville (on my way to Ft. Smith), the new road wasn't done yet. Just me and the chicken trucks going over the mountain at 3:00AM. That's when I learned that in Arkansas, a 35mph caution sign means 35mph... (I got a good view of some tree tops before I managed to get the car back on the road) In Missouri, the same sign would mean anywhere from 45 to 50. :lol:

bigern75
March 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm from Fort Smith and have been with Ubuntu right before 5.x
I love it!! :guitar:

the answer is 42
March 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I am from Bauxite,AR ( Saline Co. )

greg m
March 21st, 2007, 12:15 AM
thanks, i tried to find the conway people, several months ago. but it did not look as if sanone was there. and it looks as if i have missed this month. where do you sit? when i was looking in the store i saw two women siting in one section, and two men where at the bar

thanks greg

Tommy
March 21st, 2007, 03:39 AM
I tried to find the conway people, several months ago. but it did not look as if sanone was there. and it looks as if i have missed this month. where do you sit? when i was looking in the store i saw two women siting in one section, and two men where at the bar

This past month the three of us sat on the right side as you enter San Francisco Bread, all the way back even with the order counter. Turnout is sometimes light -- maybe it was nonexistent the month you were there. Next time, if you can, post to the carlug.org email list the day before and someone will know to look for you.

tonyr1988
March 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Nixa. The last time I went through Fayetteville (on my way to Ft. Smith), the new road wasn't done yet. Just me and the chicken trucks going over the mountain at 3:00AM. That's when I learned that in Arkansas, a 35mph caution sign means 35mph... (I got a good view of some tree tops before I managed to get the car back on the road) In Missouri, the same sign would mean anywhere from 45 to 50. :lol:

lol - that's one thing I love about it down here. In Missouri, it seemed that all the speed limits were ridiculously low. In Arkansas, they may be dangerously high. :)

thewahls7
March 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM
De Queen.

metadata
April 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Fayetteville here, been using Ubuntu for about a year and a half. Both on servers and workstations ;) . Various nix before that since about 98.

kwadroke
April 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Kwadroke of The Wired from Conway checking in.

I just ran across this group when I was trying to Google a local Ubuntu mirror in Arkansas.

A little background info on me.
I am a member of CARLUG, LRLUG and the founder and member of HSALUG.

I am the webmaster of ARLUG.org & HSALUG.org.
The CARLUG website should hopefully be up soon.

Oh, and just for completeness, there's also the Little Rock LUG http://www.lrlug.org/ -- I believe they're currently meeting monthly at Sufficient Grounds.

And there's a wiki page set up to link to ALL Arkansas Linux Users Groups:

http://www.arlug.org/

Hey... The Arkansas Ubuntu LoCo team isn't on there yet....

LRLUG is meeting at the moment at Sufficent Grounds, but this may change in the near future.

I have added the LoCo team on the ARLUG website.

This past month the three of us sat on the right side as you enter San Francisco Bread, all the way back even with the order counter. Turnout is sometimes light -- maybe it was nonexistent the month you were there. Next time, if you can, post to the carlug.org email list the day before and someone will know to look for you.

I am usually always at the CARLUG meetings, but I didn't get to make it last month. I will make a sign so it is easier to find us for the upcoming meetings. Just look for Tux :)

TheStudent
April 4th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Texarkana, Ar here. Far south west corner of the state.

I'm a founding member of the now mostly defuct..but always lookign for memebers, Texarkana Area Linux Users Group (TALUG) and the former Sec. of the Little Rock Linux Users Group(LRLUG).

I'm been using Linux since around 1997 and started with Slackware linux I borrowed form a a frined. Installed it via a zip disc and drive I borrowed as well. I later switched to redhat and then pure debian. But came to Ubuntu Bandwagon at 5.04

kwadroke
April 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I'm a founding member of the now mostly defuct..but always lookign for memebers, Texarkana Area Linux Users Group (TALUG) and the former Sec. of the Little Rock Linux Users Group(LRLUG).

Does TALUG have a website? If so I'll add it to ARLUG.org.

NoVista
April 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hi all.
I'm in the middle of Mountain Home.
A first time Linux/Edgy user for 5 months.

Cmon 7.04.

Grungydan
May 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Heya! I'm in Fayetteville, AR. Been using Feisty for a couple of weeks now.

rcmullins
May 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Clarksville here. Russellville is a possibility for me.

twogunmickey
May 4th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Conway, AR here. been running Ubuntu since 6.06. Various other Distros before that. But I must say that I found myself at home with Ubuntu.

I was unaware of the Linux group in Conway (and the other groups close by), Way cool. I've informed my friends and shared the links to the websites.

kwadroke
May 4th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Maybe we should setup a Frappr Map. http://www.frappr.com/

Cloudy
June 17th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Maybe we should setup a Frappr Map. http://www.frappr.com/

I'm down with that idea.

silverglade00
June 19th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Hi everyone from the UALR area of Little Rock. I've been using Ubuntu since Feisty Herd 3, PCLinuxOS since 2004, and various other distros as the mood strikes me. I think I might make Ubuntu my new home distro, but I'm still deciding. I look forward to talking with y'all! :D

ICbacon
June 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
Fayetteville here. I'm about to switch over to Ubuntu. I just need to get some info before the transition, and an external hard drive.

elev
June 26th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Another Rogers, AR here
I've been trying out linux since RedHat 5.2 but it took until Fiesty Fawn for it to stick.

fireslack
June 29th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I live in Bryant. I've used linux on and off over the years. Recently everything aligned so that I now have a dedicated Ubuntu Feisty box. My two other computers are a Dell laptop running XP and a 20" Intel iMac.

TeraDyne
August 1st, 2007, 06:54 AM
Hi everyone. I'm from Fort Smith. I've been using Linux as my main OS since Ubuntu Breezy, and currently run Kubuntu Fiesty.

Vorian
August 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
thanks, i tried to find the conway people, several months ago. but it did not look as if sanone was there. and it looks as if i have missed this month. where do you sit? when i was looking in the store i saw two women siting in one section, and two men where at the bar

thanks greg

Scottie Pippen went to UCA right???? I can't remember... or maybe it was Hendrix.

Alterax
August 3rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
I reside just north of Little Rock. I am a part-time biology student at UALR and a full-time IT consultant/network admin. Although I have tried other distros, I picked Ubuntu as my overall favorite.

It is great to see there is a LoCo group here!

--Alterax

Tommy
August 3rd, 2007, 02:46 AM
Scottie Pippen went to UCA right???? I can't remember... or maybe it was Hendrix.
I've heard people talk about a Scottie Pippen -- he played for UCA years ago but I don't think he's ever been to our CARLUG meetings. :)http://www.carlug.org/

Attendance at the monthly meetings (at San Francisco Bread Co.) has picked up a lot so try us again. Lately we've been at a table nearer the door.

For the July meeting the conwaycorp WAP was down so it was an opportunity for the geekiest attendees to pull a vast array of shiny equipment from their utility belts and connect to the Internet anyway.

Roaster
August 15th, 2007, 12:28 AM
About halfway between Danville and Dardanelle, here. New to Ubuntu and computers in general. Thought I was gonna be the ol' fxxt til I read the entire thread. Win XP Pro and 7.04 dual boot. Prolly get rid if XP if I can learn enough to use Ubuntu, but I know about as much about it as I do *******! So far I like 7.04. Glad to know there are folks close by that may be able to answer questions. Gonna bookmark this. Best regards to all. :)

Antec P180, Antec 550w/psu, Core2Duo6400,Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe,Gigabyte 7600GS Samsung DVD burner, Samsung Floppy dr,Western Digital SATA3 160gx2

jo3
August 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I recently switched to ArchLinux but I still live in AR!! Hey, thats all that matter right?!

kwadroke
August 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
You'll be back to using Ubuntu in no time :)

organica
September 15th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Fayetteville here too! Been flip flopping from Ubuntu to PCLinuxOS and back and forth for years now. Can seem to stick with one.

scott.churchill
September 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Native Russellville guy here, however i am currently residing in Tx (bleh) but look forward to coming back home soon. i've got family that i visit in the Rogers area as well as "Russ-vegas" (as people call it)

been using Ubuntu 7.04 for a few months and love it, been playing around wit different distros over the years tho. i'm looking for an alternative to Vista MCE, LinuxMCE is way overkill for what i need and will not run properly on my desktop with an adaptec sata raid card and server based motherboard.

plantman
October 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Just started using Ubuntu last week trying to change over from XP. So far it is going well until I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10. Have lost Thunderbird and some other settings. I upgraded from CD since all the sites were so busy and slow. That may have been my mistake. Still looking. Any advice would be appreciated.:guitar:

Tommy
October 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Just started using Ubuntu last week trying to change over from XP. So far it is going well until I upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10. Have lost Thunderbird and some other settings. I upgraded from CD since all the sites were so busy and slow. That may have been my mistake.

It SHOULD have worked, but since Thunderbird isn't AS supported as Evolution they may have missed something in that package. Since your installation is only a week old, if you don't mind losing everything I would suggest a clean install. (I haven't upgraded to Gutsy myself, but given the time it takes to do a typical upgrade, I moved all my working data to an external drive and plan to do a clean install when I'm ready, and a Feisty reinstallation if I have trouble.)

There are some major changes in things like network management and graphics acceleration/effects. It very likely was a fluke if you don't see it all over the forums but it could be related to your hardware.

Good luck!

P.S.: If you're near enough to Conway, stop by the CARLUG meeting tomorrow morning. Details at http://carlug.org/

NWAmama
November 28th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Rogers, hence the NWA.

fredbird67
April 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hi, y'all. I couldn't help but notice that there are quite a few Ozarkers on here that are Linux users! :) I currently live in St. Louis but grew up in the Ozarks, originally from Springfield, MO, and went to undergraduate school at (S)MSU and graduate school at Razorback U., and yes, I've also lived in Fayetteville and Rogers before, too. Good to see some Ozarks Linux users on here! :)

Drate
April 28th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Everybody join the NWA-LUG fun! We are quite awesome. We have a google group and someone is getting the site up and running, even as we type.

Anyway, just thought I'd invite.

wirepuller134
June 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hello everyone, Springdale here. We are in the process of changing over to ubuntu on several computers, with good luck so far. Just found out about the project about 2 weeks ago, during a discusion about our pvr.

mark-daveluv
July 27th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I am an Arkansan and a complete noobie to Ubuntu.
Just wanted to say Hi and ask who is out there.

JJ

Hi,how are you doing today,i am from delaware milsboro,i need a good arkansas ip on here,all i have is gone

Khaaaaansumating
August 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Did you ever make it to "Billy's Chili" before he retired?

I was doing a search for "Billy's Chili Springfield Missouri" on Google and this thread came up. I am so glad to find anything on the web about it that I had to sign up to these forums to let you know that I remember and loved Billy's Chili. I liked the location a lot. I was just a kid when my parents took me there a few times. I remember the hanging airplanes made out of Coke cans. I remember the food being really really good. My parents went to SMSU when they were in their 30's and it was a really great time to get to be alive in Springfield Missouri in the late 80's and early 90's. I am actually compiling my thoughts and memories about that time and place for a possible project or book on the subject.

I am so glad there are people out there who lament the loss of such a fine Springfield establishment.

Jonathan Elmore

p.s. And yes, it will always be SMSU to me. ;)

WirelessMike
September 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I, too, am in Arkansas now. I'm in Benton (foothills). Nowhere near NW AR, but Arkansan nonetheless.

I was already a member of the Louisiana LoCo team (my best friend Rob can be found easily there). I don't necessarily wish to end membership with that team, they are very active (likely more active than most). I was born and raised in Shreveport, LA and moved here from Monroe, LA, where I've been for the last 7 years.

I'm an Arkansan now, though, so I'd be interested in participating in this LoCo, or at least getting on the mailing list.

I started using Ubuntu with the Warty release candidate. I started playing with Kubuntu at Breezy and am currently still using Kubuntu, though I have had nothing but excellent experience with the default gnome.

Tommy
September 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I, too, am in Arkansas now. I'm in Benton (foothills). Nowhere near NW AR, but Arkansan nonetheless.
Great to hear from you!

There are some local linux groups that predate Ubuntu -- check out http://www.arlug.org/ for a list Tony B. (AKA Kwadroke of the Wired) keeps updated. The LRlug used to meet in/near Benton for awhile so there are probably still some folks nearby.

rustic
September 11th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Fellow Bentoninte checking in. Freaking Saline county man...

If you wanna schedule a Benton meet, I'll be home (I travel a lot for work) for the next 3 weeks. We could do a Hastings retreat (free wifi).

I'll bring my Hardy Vaio :)

Just found the ARLUG site... the LRLUG portion is empty. We really need to fix that folks!!! I'll be happy to assist or even take the lead here on that front. Anyone else interested in having a LR meet?

Tommy
September 12th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Just found the ARLUG site... the LRLUG portion is empty. We really need to fix that folks!!! I'll be happy to assist or even take the lead here on that front.

I'm not sure where Bart is lately... if you can't reach him right away, make a few postings on the LRLUG email list -- http://lrlug.org/mailman/listinfo/lrlug-discuss

The last posting on that list was 9/5 -- a couple of folks were discussing the upcoming Little Rock BarCamp.

NWAdawg
September 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I'm from Bentonville, I've working in Ubuntu for while, and went totally Linux this past month.

rustic
September 13th, 2008, 02:14 AM
We (read: me) of the Benton area are beginning to hold meets at Hastings on some Saturdays. You're all welcome to join up if you can make it and if the weather isn't stupid.

Interested but not sure where we'll be? PMs get replies...

I'll also hit up the LRLUG mailing list.

rustic

OldDirtyTurtle
September 14th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Fayetteville local here - new to ubuntu, new to linux, and very enthralled by it all. Switching over ASAP after ironing out some home computer issues and purchasing a new machine for work.

Come on Serval Performance!

See ya'll 'round...

Az7
September 16th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Living in Fort Smith. I can't seem to get the motivation to drive up midweek for the nwalug meetings. Running mythbuntu on the myth box, ubuntu with openbox on the desktop and eee.

thunderdan
September 25th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Lowell, Arkansas, here.

alienprdkt
October 31st, 2008, 12:42 AM
Hey...I'm from Piggott Arkansas...its in the most North-east part of the state..

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years now..
Kenny

Not too far from me, Malden Missouri, Sout-East part of State 25miles from Kennett

marty.raley
December 28th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Well, I'm a newbee to both Linux and Ubuntu.
I like what I see so far.
I live in Flippin and work in Mountain Home.
Looking for a Linux buddy to kick ideas around with.

smurfgod
January 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
MOUNTAIN HOME BABY!!!!!!anybody need any help or just wanna hang hit me up...i am no longer a dual booter....ubuntu all the way baby. :popcorn:

Tom Shelby
January 18th, 2009, 11:08 PM
This is Otom live in Hackett south of Ft smith GBU all Have a good day

Alterax
February 7th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hello, All!

I'm in Arkansas as well, somewhere between Sherwood and the Air Force Base. I've been using Linux for the past six years, Ubuntu so far being my favorite distribution.

I'm thirty-one; I work as a systems consultant by day and as a student at UALR by night.

I consider myself to be a "Linux Ambassador", which means merely that I help to introduce others to free/open-source software, to see if it fits their particular skill level and needs, and I also occasionally refurbish desktop (throwaway) computers to give to families that might not otherwise be able to afford something that I consider a very useful tool.

When I am not doing that, I have other things to keep me busy. I'm currently tinkering with an Ubuntu-powered Car PC with a completely touch-driven interface to handle mapping, geocaching, fuel, music, maintenance logging, and radio connectivity. I'm also a scuba diver and amateur radio operator.

So that's enough about me...what do you all use Ubuntu for?

silverglade00
February 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hey Alterax! I work at UALR. I wonder if we have seen each other on campus. That car sounds awesome.

ames3d
January 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I'm in Fayetteville...soon to be in Springdale.

Tommy
January 10th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Anyone here who is even halfway interested please register at http://launchpad.net/ and join TeamArkansas https://launchpad.net/~teamarkansas (https://launchpad.net/%7Eteamarkansas)

When you register (or even if you are already registered) please be sure to put yourself on the map. There are a lot of folks registered but not on the map... so it's hard to know how many Ubuntu folks are near each other.

lindsay7
January 10th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I am Little Rock.

bbbaldie
January 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
When you register (or even if you are already registered) please be sure to put yourself on the map.

OK, dumbest question of the day, how do I put myself on the map???

lindsay7
January 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Go to this page. As I recall you add a pin to the map.

https://launchpad.net/~teamarkansas

bbbaldie
January 11th, 2010, 08:36 PM
It's the procedure of leaving a pin in the map that has my pea brain baffled...

smurfgod
January 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I just joined the team and my pin was automaticcly there.. I didn't add anything.

Anyone else interested in meetings and stuff??

Mountain Home(NO CE Arkansas)

~SMurf

bbbaldie
January 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I just joined the team and my pin was automaticcly there.. I didn't add anything.
~SMurf

Well, for whatever reason, my pin never showed. I'm in Bentonville.

lindsay7
January 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I think you just click on the map showing where you are.

Tommy
January 13th, 2010, 04:31 AM
how do I put myself on the map???

It took me awhile to remember... others have suggested you can set your location on the TeamArkansas page, but here's the sure-fire way:

Go to your OWN page in Launchpad -- after you are registered and logged in at http://launchpad.net/ click your username at the top right corner to get to your Launchpad information. Scroll to the bottom of that page, and click the link under the Google map that says "Set location and time zone." You will see a Google map with some directions at the top. There is no need to find your exact street location -- in or near the nearest town is fine.

Thank you for setting your location! I hope we can plan some events based on where our team members live or work...

EDIT: I just realized I forgot to include a VERY important point -- you have to join Team Arkansas in launchpad before you show up on our map. https://launchpad.net/~teamarkansas/+map

cloyd
February 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Think I posted this wrong. Message has been deleted and moved by author

cloyd
February 7th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Hey, I'm up here in Berryville. Been using Ubuntu since November 2009 and love it. I am wondering if there is a group that gets together in NW Arkansas, Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville, or better, Eureka Springs or Harrison? I'd like to get together with some other users to learn more. I'm not a hacker, but would like to see Ubuntu much more well known. I am not likely to be writing, code, but wonder how a group working together could help push Ubuntu? I am becoming more and more enthusiastic about Ubuntu.

I am not a student, and I am a bit older than most here on the forum (60).

I've been tempted to go in a Office Max, or Office Depot, and load the a Ubuntu page on Internet Explorer on all the display computers, especially a UNR page on all the netbooks. Decided against it. Sounded a bit immature. Even at 60, I sometimes get ideas like that. Age doesn't keep me from thinking it, but from actually doing it.

Still, is there a local group, or are there others who would like to start one?

kwadroke
February 8th, 2010, 03:30 AM
cloyd: I'd check out NWALUG. Here's their url for the mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/nwalug

NoVista
February 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I've been tempted to go in a Office Max, or Office Depot, and load the a Ubuntu page on Internet Explorer on all the display computers, especially a UNR page on all the netbooksEven better, burn a few copies of Ubuntu to CD, put it in all those display computers, and reboot, heh heh.

Another snowstorm for the Ozarks. WhoooHooo !

cloyd
February 9th, 2010, 10:32 PM
cloyd: I'd check out NWALUG. Here's their url for the mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/nwalug

Thanks. I went to the site and joined. This could be fun.

Burfoot
March 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM
hey guys just found this! I'm from Mountian View,actually quite a few users in this area. as I've installed Linux around here for the last year or so. nice to see there are other smart people around the state:)

bbbaldie
March 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hi, Burfoot.

I'm running Mint at home, Ubuntu at work. My Windows machine is virtual, I do AD-related stuff there. I also develop intranet sites with Dreamweaver. I've recently migrated our intranet to a CentOS machine that is AD-aware.

My favorite feature is seeing all of those Windows shares that end with "$". :lolflag:

KegHead
March 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
KegHead from the Land of Lincoln