PDA

View Full Version : Serious Sam in Wine

jso2897
February 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I have been experimenting with running Windows games in Wine on my Ubuntu box. I was successful with Half Life and Tomb RaiderII, but I have hit a snag with Serious Sam. I am able to install it, but when I try to play it it gives me an error message, in a Windows Fatal Error box. It Says:Cannot set display mode!
SS was unable to find display mode with OpenGL acceleration. Make sure you install proper drivers as reccommended in documentation, and set your desktop to 16 bit color"
It says that in the troublesghooting section of the Readme - even in windows, but of course that method of setting the desktop color doesn't work for Ubuntu. Should I even be using Wine to run SS? I know that "Loki" puts out some binaries, but I don't even have a clue what to do with them. I guess I'm kind of hoping that somebody who has had success with this particular game can help me - but at any rate, I'm pretty happy with my success so far.:confused:

Breepee
February 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I guess I'm kind of hoping that somebody who has had success with this particular game can help me - but at any rate, I'm pretty happy with my success so far.:confused:

Fetch the native installers here:
http://www.seriouszone.com/

Just navigate with the console to the folder with the .sh file, run "sh ./<filename>" and go with the flow. Runs great here, both the First and Second Encounter!

jso2897
February 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Well, I downloaded a file called ssamtfe.beta3.sh.bin, and it's on my desktop, but I am not sure how to carry out the instruction you gave. I don'y know which filename you are refferring to. i am not real smart on the command line, and kind of need to have things spelled out for me. I am confused - will this install the game as native, or what?

jso2897
February 19th, 2007, 11:50 PM
No good. I got it to install, but then it said that the beta version was expired, and a newer one is required.

OK: As it turns out, I had to install all the betas, one at a time. Now, it is installed and it plays, with sound and everything. There is somethong wierd going omn with the graphics, though. In indoor spaces, if you raiser the camera and look straight ahead or up, everything dissolves into psychedelic layers of images, like a shuffled deck of cards. It's wierd.Outdoors, or where the effect is minimal. it plays fast and smooth, and looks good. I'll keep messing around.

jso2897
February 20th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Fixed it. Just had to tweak the game graphic settings around. So it just goes to show how great the Ubuntu forums are. I never did figure out how to run SS in Wine, but I got shown how to intsall it natively - so now I guess I can do it for any game I can find or compile Linux bunaries for. 'Course, a lot of games just play fine in Wine, so that works good too. So far, I have been able to get all three of the games I have tried to work on Ubuntu. Who says you need Windows for games?:)

Thanks,Breepee - you pushed me in the right direction.

Breepee
February 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Glad I could help! Though I didn't remember I had to install multiple beta and also nothing about expiring beta's. But hey, it works!

They are beta's nontheless so there are some bugs/errors present. I remember that the singleplayer sometimes required you to use the fly-cheat in order to overcome some obstacles.

go_beep_yourself
November 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Does the original Serious Sam work or only the second one under Linux?

IanW
November 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
There are native Linux installers for:-

Serious Sam: The First Encounter
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter &
Serious Sam 2

Available at this (http://liflg.org/?catid=3) url.

Note that you WILL need the original disks for the game data. The Linux installers ONLY provide the game engine!