PDA

View Full Version : An MSc in Open Source Technologies

StueyB
February 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hi guys,

I am after a bit of feedback here. I wasn't planning on doing it, but I saw the above course advertised on slashdot. The link to it is http://www2.shu.ac.uk/prospectus/op_pglookup1.cfm?id_num=CMS034&CurrTab=5

SHU is my old uni too ;)

Basically I know its Suse, but I think it presents an ideal way for me as a) a mainly windows IT bod to get some credible Linux skills as well as b) getting more paper qualifications. It also includes Novell linux certification exams, although it doesn't actually say which ones. Obviously I would be doing this part time on day release, but what do you think. Would it really be worth the effort, and 6 k in cash

Also I am acutely aware that Novell is currently the black sheep of the linux family, as well as who knows how well Suse is gonna fair in our new Linux world.

I'm just looking for some thoughts on this one really. Would you do it ? I mean, not being funny but I am unsure if it will help me get to where I want to be, maybe not developing open source but administrating on it. I currently admin about 20 servers (from single 1U servers to huge 16 way machines with 100 or so laptops and desktops)

Thing is, I know its philosophy but all the work is based around Novell and I am aware there are alternatives, ie Redhat but there is no MSc qualification to go with it. How long will Suse be classsed as open and free?

Stu