PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu CE MySpace Profile...

mhancoc7
February 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Let me first say that I do not particularly care for MySpace. I find it to be a very dangerous place for our youth to spend time and I think the design off most profiles speak for themselves.:shock:

Now with that said, I have recently been tinkering with MySpace. It all started when my wife's friend from college convinced her to get one to help them stay in touch. When I saw my wifes profile, which actually looks pretty nice, I decided that I could make a cool looking MySpace profile. So I spent the next few days tweaking a personal MySpace profile. It was actually fun. Mainly because it was such a challenge to work around the terrible design of it to create something that I could be happy with.

Once, I finished my personal profile I decided to build and Ubuntu CE profile. I have ripped it to shreds and built it back being careful to stay within the TOS (barely).

You can check it out here. www.myspace.com/ubuntuce (http://www.myspace.com/ubuntuce)

I would love to hear what you all think. This is not really an official marketing effort. It is more for my personal enjoyment of tinkering.

Thanks, Jereme

sloggerkhan
February 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I'm no fan of organized religion, but I must say your page is the first myspace I've seen that hasn't made me want to vomit out my instestines and eat them.

mhancoc7
February 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I'm no fan of organized religion, but I must say your page is the first myspace I've seen that hasn't made me want to vomit out my instestines and eat them.

I am going to take that as a compliment! :)

Jereme

whitefort
February 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I must admit, I've never been even slightly 'tempted' by the idea of a specifically Christian operating system, but this almost persuaded me to try it out! In fact, I may suggest your URL to several friends who might well be persuaded.

Very nicely done. I would perhaps take issue with describing Gnome-Sword as 'top of the line' software - Sadly, I don't think Linux HAS any top-of-the-line Bible software - but that's another issue entirely.

Very impressive!

mhancoc7
February 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I must admit, I've never been even slightly 'tempted' by the idea of a specifically Christian operating system, but this almost persuaded me to try it out! In fact, I may suggest your URL to several friends who might well be persuaded.

Very nicely done. I would perhaps take issue with describing Gnome-Sword as 'top of the line' software - Sadly, I don't think Linux HAS any top-of-the-line Bible software - but that's another issue entirely.

Very impressive!

Thank you very much for your kind words. I do agree that GnomeSword does need some work but it definitely has potential.

If you ever have any questions about Ubuntu CE just let me know.

Jereme

chadders
February 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Very good job. Impressive even :P. I'm going to try and convince one of my friends to try out Ubuntu CE (I'm no Christian, but she is) and I think she will be impressed. Well done on you efforts.

sal
February 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM
that has got to be the most professional myspace i have ever seeen. good luck with it. :)

mhancoc7
February 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Very good job. Impressive even :P. I'm going to try and convince one of my friends to try out Ubuntu CE (I'm no Christian, but she is) and I think she will be impressed. Well done on you efforts.

that has got to be the most professional myspace i have ever seeen. good luck with it. :)

Thank you both very much!

Jereme

Anonii
February 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Let me first say that I do not particularly care for MySpace. I find it to be a very dangerous place for our youth to spend time and I think the design off most profiles speak for themselves.:shock:

Now with that said, I have recently been tinkering with MySpace. It all started when my wife's friend from college convinced her to get one to help them stay in touch. When I saw my wifes profile, which actually looks pretty nice, I decided that I could make a cool looking MySpace profile. So I spent the next few days tweaking a personal MySpace profile. It was actually fun. Mainly because it was such a challenge to work around the terrible design of it to create something that I could be happy with.

Once, I finished my personal profile I decided to build and Ubuntu CE profile. I have ripped it to shreds and built it back being careful to stay within the TOS (barely).

You can check it out here. www.myspace.com/ubuntuce (http://www.myspace.com/ubuntuce)

I would love to hear what you all think. This is not really an official marketing effort. It is more for my personal enjoyment of tinkering.

Thanks, Jereme

Quite impressed, sir. Quite impressed. I don't really understand why you would create an Emospace profile for an OS (especially a religion based one) but well, the page design is excellent.

Stealth
February 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Wow, that is definitely one of the best (if not THE best) Myspace profile page ever. VERY nice! :KS

mhancoc7
February 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Quite impressed, sir. Quite impressed. I don't really understand why you would create an Emospace profile for an OS (especially a religion based one) but well, the page design is excellent.

I did it simply for the fun of it. I enjoy tinkering and the one thing that I can say about myspace is that it takes some tinkering. In fact myspace plays into my OCD very well. :)

Jereme

mhancoc7
February 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Wow, that is definitely one of the best (if not THE best) Myspace profile page ever. VERY nice! :KS

Wow, thanks!

Jereme

ntaylor0909
February 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I like the succinct listing of the features and links to the home pages for each component.

It looks really nice. Well Done.

Nathan

doobit
February 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Jereme,
That is excellent and will be a great online brochure!

IYY
February 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Wow, a MySpace page that actually looks good. Amazing.

Ptero-4
February 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Wow. That gotta be the BEST MySpace page I`ve seen.

montgoej
February 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM
You have mad page-designing skillz. I added you as a friend. If you use MySpace at all I'm sure you've seen those people with the annoying layouts where you can't read the text or it's just really annoying. Try installing the Web Developer extension for Firefox. Just hit CTRL + Shift + S to turn off CSS and un-annoyify the page.
~Jordan Montgomery

mhancoc7
February 20th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks to all who have given feedback on the profile. I really appreciate your kind words.

I have added a graphic link to allow visitors to easily add Ubuntu CE to their friends list. The Ubuntu CE profile will not be listing the friends, but having Ubuntu CE listed in your friends list can only help spread the word about the Ubuntu CE project.

Also after getting such positive feedback, I am considering adding this to the "official" Ubuntu CE marketing efforts. What do you guys think?

I would love to hear what you all think about the new addition as well.

Thanks, Jereme

mannequin
February 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM
This has to be the best myspace page I have ever seen. Even the conservative ones are nothing compared to this. Good work.

-M.

greyash99
February 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
That's incredible! How did you make your myspace like that? I'd rather like one like that as a free domain(and host).

mhancoc7
February 21st, 2007, 01:53 AM
That's incredible! How did you make your myspace like that? I'd rather like one like that as a free domain(and host).

Thanks.

I gathered info from many websites before I built the page. Below are the sites that finally got me going.

http://www.bytemycode.com/snippets/snippet/556/
http://www.skem9.com/html/hideAll.html
http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2006/04/hacking-myspace-layouts

Basically using the info from these sites I was able to set the layout with a nice clean background. Then I hide everything on the page with the exception of the myspace ad due to the TOS. Then I simply layered divs to create the page. I created the graphics using GIMP.

I hope that will help.

Jereme

greyash99
February 21st, 2007, 02:14 AM
Thanks!:) I'm pretty good with GIMP, but I've never seen a myspace like that before.

snail-
April 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM
NICE WORK.

you are correct, with a little bit off effort and knowledge you can create something visually impresive.

i think mine, is worthy of a mention ( http://www.myspace.com/171984782 )

please have a look and tell me what you think !!

http://www.myspace.com/171984782

from snail

mhancoc7
April 29th, 2007, 09:40 AM
NICE WORK.

you are correct, with a little bit off effort and knowledge you can create something visually impresive.

i think mine, is worthy of a mention ( http://www.myspace.com/171984782 )

please have a look and tell me what you think !!

http://www.myspace.com/171984782

from snail

Thank you very much.

I really like yours as well. It is nice a clean. It is really impressive.

Jereme

cryptovenom
April 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Nice!, You should design the main Ubuntu CE website like this.

mhancoc7
April 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Nice!, You should design the main Ubuntu CE website like this.

Thanks! I have thought about it. I just don't have the time right now. :)
Jereme

mhancoc7
May 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I have updated the Ubuntu CE MySpace profile so it will display properly in IE.

www.myspace.com/ubuntuce

Jereme

foerdi
May 15th, 2007, 10:17 PM
when i use your code, i get obviously problems with the friends and comments stuff...

look at myspace.com/murmanda

what's false there?

mhancoc7
May 16th, 2007, 12:43 AM
when i use your code, i get obviously problems with the friends and comments stuff...

look at myspace.com/murmanda

what's false there?

I am not sure what is causing the issue. It could be a single div that has not been cloded.

Could you please download the images and place them on your own webserver? The images that my code uses are stored on my whatwouldjesusdownload.com site and I lose precise bandwidth every time your page loads.

Thanks, Jereme

foerdi
May 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM
ok, i downloaded the images

Is it possible to place myspace comments and friends under all the div stuff? how can i do that?

Thanks

foerdi
May 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM
sometimes an ad is coming up in the middle of the site.. how can i remove that?

thanks

mhancoc7
May 17th, 2007, 12:43 AM
sometimes an ad is coming up in the middle of the site.. how can i remove that?

thanks

The ad is a requirement of MySpace. It is against their TOS to remove/hide it.

Jereme

CaptainTux
May 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
I am considering adding this to the "official" Ubuntu CE marketing efforts. What do you guys think?

I would love to hear what you all think about the new addition as well.

You have received much accolade on this myspace page and deservedly so. I think this is a great, one page vehicle that should be an integral part of the official Ubuntu CE efforts.

mhancoc7
June 1st, 2007, 12:09 AM
You have received much accolade on this myspace page and deservedly so. I think this is a great, one page vehicle that should be an integral part of the official Ubuntu CE efforts.

Thank you very much. I really enjoyed putting it together and I learned a lot along the way. :)
Jereme

jimburt372
August 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'm not able to load your profile. Have you removed it, moved it or was there a problem?

Can I find it someplace else?

Sorry if I missed it.

I have just installed CE v3.3 and I am loving it. Thanks for all you work.

JimmyB

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.

mhancoc7
August 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I'm not able to load your profile. Have you removed it, moved it or was there a problem?

Can I find it someplace else?

Sorry if I missed it.

I have just installed CE v3.3 and I am loving it. Thanks for all you work.

JimmyB

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
6 Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.

Yes, it is gone. :(

Myspace made some changes that did not allow the customizations that I initially made. The beauty of the profile was that it did not look like a Myspace page. Since they have seemingly made that impossible I decided that it was not worth the effort to continue it.

Thanks, Jereme