PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Voted Distribution of the Year!

steven8
February 19th, 2007, 06:46 AM
With over 26% of the vote at LinuxQuestions.org!!

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=514930

closet geek
February 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I think the more important result is how much people prefer KDE compared to Gnome:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=514945

That's a huge margin!

cg

mrwooster
February 19th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Interesting that Ubuntu beats Debian even though it is based on it. Nice one!

EdThaSlayer
February 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Nice job Ubuntu :guitar:

I think the more important result is how much people prefer KDE compared to Gnome:

That's a huge margin!

cg

KDE3 is starting to sound quite sweet. The main problem is that I want my software to run nice and fast because with KDE3 everything seems to be slower.When KDE4 arrives I'm going to start converting.

KaroSHiv0n
February 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Not really that huge a margin considering only 2000 people voted.

steven8
February 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Not really that huge a margin considering only 2000 people voted.

Yes, I was excited too. I think the Ubuntu team is doing a great job!!

They rock!! :guitar:

karellen
February 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
great :). and I don't care about kde winning

steven8
February 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM
great :). and I don't care about kde winning

Exactly! Point being, with Ubuntu, all of the flavors are represented. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu. We all win because ubuntu Rocks!! :guitar:

Tedd
February 20th, 2007, 12:39 AM

That's a huge margin!

cg

people who prefer KDE over Gnome are the same people who kick puppies and hate happiness.

back to the mischief-cave.

kaleman
February 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Interesting that Ubuntu beats Debian even though it is based on it. Nice one!

Well, Ubuntu has all the good things from Debian. And even some more...

Resurrection
February 20th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Complete results:

DE of the Year: KDE
Distro: Ubuntu
Text Editor: vi/vim
Browser: Firefox (by a landslide)
Mail Client: Thunderbird
Window Manager: Fluxbox (barely squeaks by Beryl)
Audio Authoring: Audacity
Audio Player: amarok
Live Distro: Knoppix
Multimedia Utility: K3b
Security app: nmap
IDE: Eclipse
Office Suite: Open Office (by a landslide)
shell: bash (by far)
Graphics App: the GIMP
Video media player: mplayer
Web Development: Quanta
Windows on Linux App: Wine
Database: MySQL
Messaging App: Gaim
Video Authoring: Kino

Quillz
February 20th, 2007, 02:02 AM
people who prefer KDE over Gnome are the same people who kick puppies and hate happiness.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where opinions exist. Some people prefer KDE, others don't. Sorry if you have trouble accepting this.

darkhatter
February 20th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Ubuntu keeps winning that over and over again how is this news, and KDE always wins how is that new. I forget to vote this time around...

steven8
February 20th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Ubuntu keeps winning that over and over again how is this news, and KDE always wins how is that new. I forget to vote this time around...

To those of us who have only been here for way less than a year. . .this is new.

steven8
February 20th, 2007, 02:59 AM
I'm telling ya, you folks are making me sorry I posted this in the one place folks should be excited about it. Instead, it's a ****-moan-whine session!

If any moderator wants to delete this thread. Feel free.

jediborger
February 20th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I know this might be a little out of the context of this thread, but can someone tell me how beryl counts as a window manager by itself? Doesn't beryl require another DE or wm to inherit it's layout?

manmower
February 20th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I know this might be a little out of the context of this thread, but can someone tell me how beryl counts as a window manager by itself? Doesn't beryl require another DE or wm to inherit it's layout?

Beryl is a WM, meaning you can use it without a DE. Sort of like Openbox, you can run the panel of your preference etc. I know of a few people who are / were at some point pure Beryl users.

Adamant1988
February 20th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I'm telling ya, you folks are making me sorry I posted this in the one place folks should be excited about it. Instead, it's a ****-moan-whine session!

If any moderator wants to delete this thread. Feel free.

Sorry, but this is of little significance. We're not talking about the OS-Olympics here. We're talking about a poll on a forum that a large % of Linux users probably don't even go to, much less frequent.

It just can't be taken very seriously as any kind of a real indication of anything.

steven8
February 20th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Sorry, but this is of little significance. We're not talking about the OS-Olympics here. We're talking about a poll on a forum that a large % of Linux users probably don't even go to, much less frequent.

It just can't be taken very seriously as any kind of a real indication of anything.

Right. I'm out.

tubasoldier
February 20th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Are you calling me a hate-monger because I prefer KDE? Sure, I use some kio_slaves every once in a while. But is that any reason to hate me?

closet geek
February 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I brought this up only because I think Ubuntu is missing a trick. Based on this survey from a non-distro centric, popular, well established Linux Forum: KDE is the most popular desktop environment in the Linux world. Yet Ubuntu defaults with Gnome. Sure, there is Kubuntu but a lot of people wont know or care about that they'll just use what is put in front of them (Gnome).

I think the Ubuntu folks are missing a trick by defaulting to a less* popular desktop environment. Everyone here wants Ubuntu to be a major success and surely the best way to achieve that is to use the best software available?

Please don't play the "choice" card. Sure it's about choice, it's nice to have a choice but based on the numbers it would seem to be a better idea to have Ubuntu as a KDE default and have "Gubuntu" as a side project.

cg

* based on above survey

p.s. I'm trying to instigate a debate based on the numbers, I'm not trying to start a flamewar. If you're only intention is to post "KDE sucks11!!" then please don't bother :)

koenn
February 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
KDE is the most popular desktop environment in the Linux world. Yet Ubuntu defaults with Gnome.
... and Kubuntu defaults to KDE. So what ? There's even a link to kubuntu (with a tooltip saying "kubuntu - KDE .desktop that just works" so anyone who was going to download ubuntu but prefers KDE kan find it from there). After all Ubutu + KDE = Kubuntu, so there already is an ubuntu with KDE.

and then

I think the Ubuntu folks are missing a trick by defaulting to a less* popular desktop environment. [as oposed to] ... to use the best software available?

You're assuming/suggesting that more popular automatically means better, or that gnome is less popular becose KDE is better. - that's either wrong or misleading.
And where in the survey does it say that KDE is the best software available ?

srt4play
February 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Are you calling me a hate-monger because I prefer KDE? Sure, I use some kio_slaves every once in a while. But is that any reason to hate me?

Using slaves = hate-monger

Since none of you seem to detect sarcasm in any way shape or form, let me just throw this in here:

JUST KIDDING.

John.Michael.Kane
February 21st, 2007, 01:58 AM
Thread reopened.

Note: I'm opening this thread after the cool down period. Stay on topic any off topic inflammatory postings will be jailed with out question,and will risk the thread being closed permanently.