PDA

View Full Version : Speech Help for Shuttleworth

SuperMike
February 19th, 2007, 05:11 AM
You know, as a HUGE fan of Ubuntu and Canonical, who couldn't appreciate the efforts of Mark Shuttleworth? He's a fantastic person. <round of applause>

However, I just saw this video of him from 2006 Nov 9 ...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2728972720932273543

...and unfortunately although it was good, I think it would put many people to sleep. And yet, he doesn't have to deliver it like that. Ubuntu is EXCITING and there's A LOT to get EXCITED about. We don't have to get up to the podium and speak about it and look like beat sheep looking for a new home.

Here's my recipe for Mark's next speech delivery:

* Slideshows are great, but show some animation and screenshots. It's just expected these days that we're going to see that when talking about an operating system.

* He probably had a long flight. He should get some sleep for a day and then deliver the speech.

* Show off Beryl.

* Compare the number of steps to do a task in Gnome (or with Gnome add-ons) versus Mac or Vista on some of the more common tasks like doing a VPN connection, dialing out on PPTP, setting up a printer, etc. (And, by the way, if it's not a good selling point, then leave it out and get someone on that team to make it better.)

* Compare and contrast (with pictures/diagrams as well) on how the models of some companies are old-fashioned and can't compete with how modern Canonical is laid out. (It's not really talking about an OS, but was one of the points from the video.)

* Smile and get people to laugh a tad bit more.

* Compress the speech a little bit so it's a little bit faster delivery.

* Bring someone up to help you deliver a chapter in the presentation, and they should be just as giddy.

MetalMusicAddict
February 19th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Email him about it. mark@canonical.com ;)