PDA

View Full Version : Copyrights?

maniacmusician
February 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM
As some of you may know, I've started to write a series of guides that are intended to actually educate people that are trying to use Linux. The first series is titled "Switching to Linux" and it's turning out to be more of a book at this point, haha.

But on to the point. I wanted to know, what cautionary measures can I take to ensure that my work doesn't get ripped off? I have no problem with people distributing my work or anything like that, but I would be fairly disgruntled if someone took everything I'd written and sold it for a profit. So I was wondering, are copyrights the best solution for this? And if so, how do I go about copyrighting my stuff? Can I just slap a "Copyrighted [year] by [name]" onto the front page and be protected? Or do I have to take more extensive measures?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

PS: To those who think the project might have died because the thread has been inactive, fear not. It is alive and kicking. I've finished up the first chapter and the second is well under way.

H.E. Pennypacker
February 19th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Yup, that's all you do. Slap the copyright symbol on it, and you're done. If someone steals it, ah, well, the system is not of much help. You'd have to take the thief to court, and you probably don't want to do that, because of the cost of doing so.

This does not apply to patents. Patents are the only form of intellectual property that must be registered in order to receive protection. With trademarks and copyrights, registration is not necessary, but always recommended.

aysiu
February 19th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Actually, if you're not intending to prosecute, you don't even have to slap the copyright symbol. Copyright exists with the very writing of the document.

From the Copyright Website FAQ (http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork):
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within 5 years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

IYY
February 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Technically, once you submit anything to the internet it's automatically copyrighted to you. I would, however, suggest to change that license to the non-commercial, sharealike Creative Commons license. This will allow people to redistribute and build upon your work, but not sell it.

aysiu
February 19th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Technically, once you submit anything to the internet it's automatically copyrighted to you. I would, however, suggest to change that license to the non-commercial, sharealike Creative Commons license. This will allow people to redistribute and build upon your work, but not sell it.
Read more here:
http://creativecommons.org/license/

TBOL3
February 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I would suggest adding it to wikibooks, it will be copyrighted, and anyone can help you wright it.

nalmeth
February 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.htm ?

maniacmusician
February 19th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I'm pretty sure copy-lefting it still allows people to sell it, right? It's a relief that anything I put out there is copyrighted. Nice to know.

After thinking over it, I've decided to go with the Creative Commons licensing (thanks for the link aysiu). It gives me a lot of control, which is good.

thanks for all the input.