PDA

View Full Version : Stock market trader's desktop -project announcement and recruitment

klaym
May 23rd, 2005, 08:09 PM
Hello there! I'm announcing a new project, 'The stock trader's desktop'. The idea is to build a highly customizable and neat desktop for people who do trading at the stock market. The desktop would include graphical charts of specified companies' exchange rates, a calendar with events to come in the range of a specified stock market, a newsbar (CNN headlines), different sorts of mathematical analysis of specified companies value, etc. etc. All this in a neat and good looking package. The desktop would of course be created on top of some popular environment, such as Gnome or KDE.

If this sounds like a good idea, then please contact me at isometsa a,t gmail d.o.t com, or add a post here, and share your ideas and tell me how you could participate to the project. All interest and help is highly appreciated!

I have experience on C++, but I haven't worked in a Linux environment before, so I would probably be on the sketching side for now. I've worked with Photoshop for a long time, and some time with Gimp too. So maybe I'd mainly be doing graphics. But I'm very keen to learn to code on Linux, too! I will also post my visualization of the desktop later on (everybody is highly welcomed to post your own!).

There's a growing amount of traders out there running Linux. I believe that this kind of project would be greatly valued, if delivered as an easily configurable and good looking package. Please share your thoughts! Thanks!

Henri Isometsä

UbuWu
May 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
You could do most of the things you describe using gdesklets.

Psquared
May 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I think its a great idea. gDesklets does not do it. I don't know of a gdesklet that provides charts and scrolling news from Dow Jones or another service.

One problem you will have is that unless you are hooked up through a broker-dealer you won't get real time quotes or news. Everything will be 15-20 minutes delayed. The key to an app like that would be "real time" otherwise it wouldn't be of much use.

Lovechild
May 24th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I think he meant you could write most of that using gDesklets, it provides most of the framework you need, just hook up to a site that provides the data you need and display - can't be much work.