PDA

View Full Version : trying out solaris

WildTangent
May 23rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
i downloaded solaris 10 the other day, now ive burnt it to CDs and am installing it now as i type. ive never used a pure unix operating system before, but as i understand it, it isnt much different than linux. ill make sure i share my experiences with it here

-Wild

kvidell
May 23rd, 2005, 08:01 PM
I had Solaris 10 on my old laptop for awhile. It was kind of cool...
I found fast however that it is NOT a desktop os.. I think if I was running some big DBs some certain type of web/app server, it would be the OS of choice for me.

It's not a bad product at all though! Just sucks that ZFS was deprecated from it.

Speaking of Solaris, there's a big Sun training thinger next week in San Jose... Gunna have to get my friend at Cisco to take notes so I can pass them on if you want :)

- Kev

kvidell
May 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
also, this will fast become your best friend in the Solaris world:
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin
SysAdmin Resources and Community for all things Solaris(Sparc/x86) and SPARC.

Enjoy!

WildTangent
May 23rd, 2005, 08:22 PM
i seem to be having trouble, this is the second time ive attempted to install, and both times, it wont load the 4th cd and install its components. my guess is that this cd contains the GUI, because its still running from the default Xorg environment. anyone here know what i can do, to maybe manually load the cd and install its components?

-Wild

WildTangent
May 23rd, 2005, 10:12 PM
gah, i give up, ive wasted hours on this now. im just gonna leave it open for other distros i happen to get curious about

-Wild

TravisNewman
May 24th, 2005, 01:17 AM
It's quite a learning curve.

But I like it ;) Not as much as Linux/BSD though.

WildTangent
May 24th, 2005, 04:02 AM
wow, my computer is really picky....ive pretty much exhausted my supply of distros. well...time to download some more :)

in case youre wondering, ive tried just about every distro i have on this old test machine, and it has problems with all of the ones that require more than one disk or take more than an hour to install, so that pretty much means only PC Linux OS, Ubuntu and Kubuntu work. im going to burn MEPIS tomorrow and give it a try. and if all that fails...i might give gentoo another try (i actually got it to work first attempt, but i loathe compiling)

-Wild

tread
May 24th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Try freebsd. Actually, try netbsd .. the netbsd live cd detected my wireless card too! Pretty nice ..

compmodder26
May 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I'm going to give Symphony OS (http://www.symphonyos.com/) a try when it becomes more production ready. It looks really cool.

WildTangent
May 25th, 2005, 03:26 AM
im currently installing gentoo, to be more specific, my kernel is compiling, so im gonna go to bed :P

-Wild

blinksilver
May 25th, 2005, 05:41 AM
go opensolaris

HungSquirrel
May 25th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Go any free/open distro that does what the user needs.

WildTangent
May 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM
ill always be an Ubuntu user, im only trying out other distros for the experience :)

-Wild

Whistler
May 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Solaris is announced to be free software, however it's still NOT.

http://www.opensolaris.org