PDA

View Full Version : A good media player for large libraries?

muguwmp67
February 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I've been trying out different media players, but they all seem to have a problem with my music collection. I have almost 20,000 music files, and the only media player I've used so far that even comes close to working is amarok, but its a kde app and really runs poorly in gnome for me. I've crashed rhythmbox and exaile each time I've tried to load my library into them.

I like amarok a lot, but it takes forever to load, and sometimes doesn't load correctly. Are there options in gnome that I haven't considered yet?

Is it worth moving to kde just to use amarok?

Tuna-Fish
February 17th, 2007, 10:42 PM
One word: Exaile!

spockrock
February 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
amarok handles my 20K+ of music better then anything else, except for foobar2000....but thats windows.

muguwmp67
February 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
amarok handles my 20K+ of music better then anything else, except for foobar2000....but thats windows.
Are you using it in KDE or Gnome? If so, have you plugged it into an alternate SQL engine, or are you using the default?

pmj
February 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM
MPD is by far the most efficient music manager.... thingy I've used. MPD together with GMPC as a frontend has no problems with my 56k songs.

IYY
February 17th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I've never had a collection this large, so I don't know which players would have trouble with it. Have you tried Banshee?

tbroderick
February 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM
+1 for mpd. I also really like cmus.

Mateo
February 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Does GMPC minimize to the tray?

pmj
February 18th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Does GMPC minimize to the tray?

Yes, it does.

Mateo
February 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM
oh sweet I might give it a try then.

slimdog360
February 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Is it worth moving to kde just to use amarok?

its worth moving to kde just because its kde. nuff said.

Mateo
February 18th, 2007, 02:23 AM
a couple more things. First, will it export playlists (m3u)? that's kind of a big deal for me and I don't want another application for doing just that. Also, does mpd and gmpc run seperately?

FrankVdb
February 18th, 2007, 02:30 AM
If you want Amarok to be fast with large collections, open your settings and make sure you select MySql instead of the Lite thing that comes standard. SQL Lite causes a terrible lag with large collections.

pmj
February 18th, 2007, 02:35 AM
a couple more things. First, will it export playlists (m3u)? that's kind of a big deal for me and I don't want another application for doing just that. Also, does mpd and gmpc run seperately?

It can create playlists, but the songs in them will have full paths, so they may not be useful to you. And yes, MPD and GMPC does run separately. MPD is a server and GMPC is one of several clients that let you control MPD. It can take a while to set it up, but it's well worth it.

maniacmusician
February 18th, 2007, 02:40 AM
As others have said, Amarok with an SQL backend is the best for large collections.

Directions for setting up mysql are at the amarok wiki: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_HowTo

you can ignore the first bit they have about compiling it with the --enable-mysql option, because the Ubuntu version comes with it already enabled. You just have to install mysql and configure it as they tell you on that page.

a little off-topic; with a collection that large, what file format do you store your music in? how much disk space does it occupy?

pmj
February 18th, 2007, 03:02 AM
a little off-topic; with a collection that large, what file format do you store your music in? how much disk space does it occupy?
If you're asking me, my collection is 56338 songs and 372.3GB, unless I forgot to count something. And nearly all of it is MP3.

muguwmp67
February 18th, 2007, 04:00 AM
I'm at 24484, 111.1 GB. I loved emusic when it was 'all you can eat', and ripped most of my CD collection (250 cd's or so) a few years ago. In the event of an emergency, I can listen to 10 weeks 3 days worth of music without repeats.