PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu in Second Life!!

moeFinley
February 17th, 2007, 10:13 PM
If you go into the Circuit City store at the IBM offices you can find this on the counter!

http://www.timneil.co.uk/ubuntu_second_life_tn.jpg (http://www.timneil.co.uk/ubuntu_second_life.jpg)

total wormage
February 17th, 2007, 10:55 PM
amazing!
:KS

TravisNewman
February 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
heh, that's awesome. I wonder if someone put that there or if the store owners themselves put that there.

There's been a campaign to put ubuntu cd's in real stores for a while, maybe it spilled over in to SecondLife :)

Polygon
February 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM
im so confused, is that a real life picture or a in game screenshot? the backround looks like a game but the keyboard of the laptop looks real. anyone mind explaining?

Xzallion
February 18th, 2007, 05:59 AM
The laptop is in second life, and its running ubuntu.

Polygon
February 18th, 2007, 06:00 AM
ahh. the laptop keyboard looks really realistic though, which is why i was confused

thanks

bobbybobington
February 18th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Whoa its like the matrix or something :-k

maxamillion
February 18th, 2007, 06:06 AM
That's awesome ... Ubuntu is taking over everywhere! :)

moeFinley
February 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
The most interesting thing about this is because the laptop is part of the IBM offices it means an IBM employee choose to put the Ubuntu screen grab on there. And it looks like the image on screen is of the her building the laptop model (I say her as she is logged in as Kelly).

So the Second Life IBM guys work with Ubuntu machines, not just take screen grabs of them! :-k

EdThaSlayer
February 18th, 2007, 12:39 PM
It amazes me how many things you can find in Second Life.
I agree with you people, its like the matrix. That laptop is a laptop in the game although I first thought that it was a laptop running the game with the character on the screen being in the IBM office.

v8YKxgHe
February 18th, 2007, 01:03 PM
im so confused, is that a real life picture or a in game screenshot? the backround looks like a game but the keyboard of the laptop looks real. anyone mind explaining?

ahaha, I thought that as well! I was looking everywhere for Ubuntu inside the laptop screen game screenshot and I could not find it. Then I realized what was going on and felt kinda ... stupid :P :lolflag:

xmastree
February 18th, 2007, 01:05 PM
And it looks like the image on screen is of the her building the laptop model (I say her as she is logged in as Kelly).

That laptop is a laptop in the game although I first thought that it was a laptop running the game with the character on the screen being in the IBM office.

:confused: I have no idea what either of these two statements means... :confused:

Could someone please enlighten me?

moeFinley
February 18th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I have no idea what either of these two statements means...

Second Life is an online 3D virutal world and within it you can build objects (and much, much more).

Within the image I posted nothing is real. It is all the interface and the virtual 3D world of Second Life.

IBM have build a very large virtual complex in Second Life with many buildings one of which is a Circuit City virtual store. The image I posted is from the perspective of my virtual Second Life avatar looking at a laptop which is on the counter of this store.

The texture that someone from IBM has place on the laptop is a screen grab of Ubuntu!

8-[ I hope that makes sense to anyone who doesn't know Second Life. Even I'm confused after all that! :)

shining
February 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Second Life is an online 3D virutal world and within it you can build objects (and much, much more).

Within the image I posted nothing is real. It is all the interface and the virtual 3D world of Second Life.

IBM have build a very large virtual complex in Second Life with many buildings one of which is a Circuit City virtual store. The image I posted is from the perspective of my virtual Second Life avatar looking at a laptop which is on the counter of this store.

The texture that someone from IBM has place on the laptop is a screen grab of Ubuntu!

8-[ I hope that makes sense to anyone who doesn't know Second Life. Even I'm confused after all that! :)

Ah yep, that makes sense. I didn't totally understand neither, because I didn't know that IBM was virtually present in Second Life. That's funny :p

moeFinley
February 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I didn't know that IBM was virtually present in Second Life. That's funny :p

Yere, there have a big presence in Second Life. I was amazed when I saw it all.

They have a recruitment centre, office with meeting rooms, an IBM museum. They even have four big arenas where they regularly do presentations to staff around the world. They have big screens in the middle for their PowerPoint presentations!