PDA

View Full Version : Bash problem

jingo811
February 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I'm trying to learn BASH scripting by following this tutorial
http://www.linuxcommand.org/wss0010.php
I did everything except add the directory path. I just created home/bin and test my scripts by changing to that directory.
The thing is that trick wored a few days ago. Now when I try to run my_script it won't run.
Can you see what's wrong?

mike@sanka:~/bin$ ls -la
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 mike mike 4096 2007-02-12 09:56 .
drwxr-xr-x 55 mike mike 4096 2007-02-17 18:34 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 mike mike 51 2007-02-12 09:24 my_script
mike@sanka:~/bin$ chmod 755 my_script
mike@sanka:~/bin$ ls
my_script
mike@sanka:~/bin$ my_script
bash: my_script: command not found
mike@sanka:~/bin$

mike@sanka:~/bin$ less my_script

#!/bin/bash
# My first script

echo "Hello World!"
my_script (END)

nereid
February 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I think that your personal bin folder isn't in your path. So you have to call this script like this

./my_script

Notice the dot and the slash in front of the script, to tell bash that it should look in the current directory to find the script.

thomasaaron
February 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM
The error message you are receiving is not referring to the location of your script.

It is referring to the last line of your script, which starts with "my_script"

It is telling you that "my_script" is not a valid command.

You can delete that line altogether from your script and everything should work fine.

Best,
Tom

jingo811
February 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Tnx
./my_script solved it!

thomasaaron
February 17th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Ok.
My bad.
T

jingo811
February 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM
OK new problem. Instead of me posting a new thread for every new BASH question I'm gonna make all my future BASH problems in here. (OK moderators!?)
I got stuck already on lesson 2 http://www.linuxcommand.org/wss0020.php and part of the previous lesson were you were supposed to add your directory into .bash_profile file.

# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

# the default umask is set in /etc/login.defs
#umask 022

# include .bashrc if it exists
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
. ~/.bashrc
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
fi

# My custom commands
export PATH=$PATH:home/mike/bin
alias l='ls -l'

I restarted my PC and doing all the commands in terminal I can't make anything work. What have I done wrong this time?

mike@sanka:~$ ./my_script
bash: ./my_script: No such file or directory
mike@sanka:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
mike@sanka:~$ l
bash: l: command not found
mike@sanka:~$ cd bin
mike@sanka:~/bin$ ./my_script
Hello World!
mike@sanka:~/bin$

WW
February 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Put your custom commands in ~/.bashrc, not in ~/.bash_profile. .bash_profile is for "login shells"; when you open up a terminal, you are not starting a new login shell.

Also, I think you are missing a / in your command to change PATH:

export PATH=$PATH:/home/mike/bin

WW
February 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
One more comment: Once you have correctly set your PATH to include /home/mike/bin, you can use the command my_script anywhere.

When you put ./ in front of a command, you are explicitly telling the shell to look for the command in the current directory. So the command ./my_script will not work when run in your home directory, no matter what your PATH is set to (unless you happen to have a copy of my_script in your home directory).

jingo811
February 17th, 2007, 10:05 PM
When I do my changes in .bashrc is it enough that I do [Ctrl-Alt-Backspace] to enable the changes or do I need to do a reboot for every change in this file?
Second question is it I who read and interpreted the Tutorial lesson 1 wrong or did the author not know that editing the .bash_profile won't work in Ubuntu like on his distro?

WW
February 17th, 2007, 10:11 PM
No need for ctrl-alt-backspace, and definitely no need to reboot! Just start a new terminal, and start using it.

po0f
February 18th, 2007, 05:01 AM
jingo811,

$ ln -s ~/.bash_profile ~/.profile

GDM will source ~/.profile on login, and ~/.bash_profile (through the symlink) will source ~/.bashrc. At least it works for me. :)

And to answer your other question, it might have slipped the author's mind that someone might be doing this from a terminal emulator. If you try it from a virtual console (Ctrl-F(1,6)), you'll see that it works the way the author presented it.

Also, most terminal emulators (gnome-terminal, urxvt, etc) usually have an option to set whether it should behave like a login terminal, ie it will source the proper files upon opening. I know with urxvt the resource is "urxvt.loginShell: <bool>". I'm sure gnome-terminal has this option as well, I just can't recall exactly how to set it.