PDA

View Full Version : Great Vista Experience only 512 MB RAM Dell

EddieA
February 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/solutions/winvista?c=uk&cs=ukdhst1&l=en&s=dhs

I quote:

Extensive testing has helped us understand what it takes to get the most out of Windows VistaTM . The chart below offers a handy guide to help make sure your system is equipped to support the Windows VistaTM experience you want:

at the end of the 512MB column note this

Great for... Booting the Operating System, without running applications or games

Yep! That's the Vista experience I want :)

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
:lolflag:

delfick
February 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM
that's funny :D

raptros-v76
February 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
i like how they say that no applicationsor games is a "good" experience

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM
i like how they say that no applicationsor games is a "good" experience

What people dont realise is that Vista cant run applications or games anyway, it just sits there and looks pretty :p

Overpriced bug filled junk ftw \o/

Kateikyoushi
February 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Well who needs more anyway ? Aero is the best looking vista game so far.
This is so funny but at least they are honest.

FuturePilot
February 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Hmmm... I remember when 512MB used to seem like a lot.

ljpm
February 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Man do I feel old, I remember why 16 MB was a lot.

timcredible
February 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM

i feel really old then, because i remember upgrading an apple from 8K (yes, that's K, not M) to 16K, and my professor saying "i don't know what we'll do with all this memory".

srt5
February 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM
"Great Vista Experience" now thats what I'm talking about!! :)

BWF89
February 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
It's still more than enough if your running Linux.

geekgod
February 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I always have a good vistaish expierience with 256 megs of ram... oh wait I use KDE wich with other desktop enviroments mr gates team reallocated....

whitefort
February 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM
You guys thiink you're old?

I remember being asked, 'But why would you need 48k of memory in a home computer??' :)

Ah... the good ol' Sinclair Spectrum...

mcduck
February 17th, 2007, 05:48 PM
You guys thiink you're old?

I remember being asked, 'But why would you need 48k of memory in a home computer??' :)

Ah... the good ol' Sinclair Spectrum...

That's small.. I started with the famous 640K.. I also still have my old 256MB hard drive somewhere (from my second machine that also had 8MB of RAM)..

Anyway, if they consider being only able to run the OS itself to be 'GOOD' compatibility, I wonder what 'BAD' would be? The computer bursting into flames?

EddieA
February 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM
T
Anyway, if they consider being only able to run the OS itself to be 'GOOD' compatibility, I wonder what 'BAD' would be? The computer bursting into flames?

that only happens withe the laptops :)
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/28/another_dell_laptop_burns/

darkhatter
February 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
the only game I got to run on vista is ragnarok.....I'm not sure how their even doing these tests

Quillz
February 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
What people dont realise is that Vista cant run applications or games anyway, it just sits there and looks pretty :p

Overpriced bug filled junk ftw \o/
Have you even used Vista? I run it on my laptop, and it works just as well as XP does. In fact, the start up time and shut down times are even faster.

qamelian
February 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Have you even used Vista? I run it on my laptop, and it works just as well as XP does. In fact, the start up time and shut down times are even faster.

I've used Vista. To get the same performance I had on XP, I had to boost my RAM from 512 MB to 1.5GB.

Quillz
February 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I've used Vista. To get the same performance I had on XP, I had to boost my RAM from 512 MB to 1.5GB.
Well, I haven't tried Vista on 512 MB, only because all the computers I own have a minimum of 512 MB, but for people to say that Vista can't do anything other than "look pretty" is just flat out wrong.

darkhatter
February 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
512mb is enough to run vista I could run my usual apps with out much problem, but more is welcome.

LadyLuck
February 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM

I remember when they broke the 1 MB barrier, and a 20 Meg external hard-drive was cnsidered a lifetime investment one could never really run out of space again.

geekgod
February 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I remember when they broke the 1 MB barrier, and a 20 Meg external hard-drive was cnsidered a lifetime investment one could never really run out of space again.

when napster came out I upgraded to 10 gigs and couldt fill it.... now i have 40 gigs with 5 more gigs on random flash drives... oh and no you need 2gigs of ram, run everything on ramdisks.... My IBM XT had dual 5.25's I could run big apps