PDA

View Full Version : using #define in my context?

ansi
February 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Hello,

I wrote some own functions (C) which operates with strings, they looks like Std. functions:

_bool mystr_ncpy(myStr* dst, char* src, size_t src_len)
{
}

And I want define the same function's which gives only src && dst as arguments. What version is better:

#define mystr_cpy(dst, src) mystr_cpy(dst, src, strlen(src))

or this:

_bool mystr_cpy(myStr* dst, char* src)
{
return mystr_ncpy(dst, src, strlen(src));
}

Of course, I understand that the version with #define will be processed with pre-processor on compilation study, but second version will spend processor's time on creating new stack (I think). 1st version looks more elegant, but it will be hard-understandable in headers for other developers.

It is in more part a design question I think.

Thanks.

runningwithscissors
February 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
It doesn't matter either way. Trying to shave nanoseconds off is more trouble than it's worth.

Having said that, the first one is a lot more clearer, in my opinion.

lnostdal
February 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
don't ever use macros if you don't have to .. if you are concerned with the overhead of one extra call add a declaration `inline'

inline _bool mystr_cpy(myStr* dst, char* src)
{
return mystr_ncpy(dst, src, strlen(src));
}

..when you compile this with some optimization-options turned on the extra call will be gone or "inlined" with the code of the caller

ansi
February 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM
don't ever use macros if you don't have to .. if you are concerned with the overhead of one extra call add a declaration `inline'.

O! Nice. I've just forgot about inline'd functions. But they have exactly one disadvantage: they are not defined by C89 :), but C99 is more nice than C89 I think :).

Thanks to all. The question was solved.

lnostdal
February 17th, 2007, 04:38 PM
i wonder what the next Cxx will be called .. i mean after C99 we'll have the old y2k problem again :)