PDA

View Full Version : Spinning the Beryl desktop octakaidecagon & icosikaihenagon!!!

RAV TUX
February 17th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Simply beautiful!!!

Thanks to my good friend Mackenzie for showing me how to do this!!

I love it!

take a look as I spin the Beryl desktop octakaidecagon!

reacocard
February 17th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Don't you mean hexadecagon (or whatever it is)? Beryl only goes up to 16. Still cool though. Wish my graphics card was good enough to handle that.

euler_fan
February 17th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Cool! Beryl has always been really impressive, and that is extra impressive.

RAV TUX
February 17th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Don't you mean hexadecagon (or whatever it is)? Beryl only goes up to 16. Still cool though. Wish my graphics card was good enough to handle that.

No I mean octakaidecagon, I have 18 desktops!

I could probably do more but only want 18....I'll try more just to experiment...

RAV TUX
February 17th, 2007, 03:51 AM
ok the biggest polygon I could achieve is an icosikaihenagon...

hard to capture a screenshot of all 21 sides but here is my Beryl desktop icosikaihenagon

whoa! 21 sides that is just too many, I think I'll stick with 18, thats much more reasonable.

reacocard
February 17th, 2007, 04:11 AM
21... that's insane. I want to do this! Why, oh why does the latest version of beryl restrict me to naught but 16?! Ah me...

:lolflag:

RAV TUX
February 17th, 2007, 04:14 AM
21... that's insane. I want to do this! Why, oh why does the latest version of beryl restrict me to naught but 16?! Ah me...

:lolflag:mine goes up to 32 but I can only achieve 21, perhaps it is hardware dependent?

reacocard
February 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM
mine goes up to 32 but I can only achieve 21, perhaps it is hardware dependent?

It seems like the 16 is hard-coded in beryl 1.9999 though. Oh well. If you can only get up to 21, I probably can't get even that high, since I have lousy i915 graphics. Does the full 16 I can do with ease though, so who knows?

spockrock
February 17th, 2007, 04:36 AM
yeah I am using the svn, and I am limited to 16 as well, not that I need more then 4 really.....

and if it is hardware dependent I have a 7800GT and a 2.6Ghz AMD X2 with 2GB of RAM, then I wanna know how rav tux's 8800GTX dual quad core's with 4GB of ram runs beryl?

prolly very sexily :p

kevinf311
February 17th, 2007, 05:35 AM
So... many... desktops...

That last shot is almost approaching SphereXP :p (if you chose inside cube that is).

Beryl has much better integration than SphereXP IMO, of course I haven't seen much more than the demo, so I may be wrong.

RAV TUX
February 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM
So... many... desktops...

That last shot is almost approaching SphereXP :p (if you chose inside cube that is).

Beryl has much better integration than SphereXP IMO, of course I haven't seen much more than the demo, so I may be wrong.
inside the cube looking out, I believe I have done this before, but I forgot how.

reacocard
February 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Check the 'Inside Cube' option in the Cube's settings.

kevinf311
February 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah on my settings manager it's: Desktop >> Desktop Cube >> Check Inside Cube

I seem to remember you using a different version that 1.99.2 though (I'm still scared of the 1.9999.x updates 8-[ ) so I'm not sure if that will track.

It still doesn't quite match up with SphereXP though, because you are still limited to one desktop (from what I've seen). It just creates a movable sphere of window placement points. It seems like a nifty program, and I might throw it on XP if/when they Open it up. I think I first saw this thing on the Feb Desktop thread, BLTicklemonster posted it I think.

macogw
February 18th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Should I stop telling you where the tricks are hidden? I kinda liked the O_o looks I got from you (RAV TUX) and Luigi (Brunellus) when you saw I had 8 sides.

RAV TUX
February 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Should I stop telling you where the tricks are hidden? I kinda liked the O_o looks I got from you (RAV TUX) and Luigi (Brunellus) when you saw I had 8 sides.yes that night will always be memorable...how you knocked the socks off of two guys simultaneously with an 8 sided Polygon

please don't stop showing me your tricks....my life would be significantly boring without your tips and tricks...

In fact where is your link to your tips and tricks blog?...shouldn't it be in your sig?

RAV TUX
February 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I seem to remember you using a different version that 1.99.2 though (I'm still scared of the 1.9999.x updates 8-[ ) so I'm not sure if that will track.

0.1.4 here

RAV TUX
February 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM
also here is a spinning octakaidecagon,...my very first animated gif I have ever made in GIMP....

have fun watching it spin...

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7996/sphereou3.gif

ok I know it's not perfect but it's my first one....