PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like Ubuntu? Specifically Hoary...

Optimal Aurora
May 23rd, 2005, 03:27 AM
I was wondering why most of you choosed Ubuntu over other distros like Fedora. I my self am trying to find the perfect distro for myself. I was taught fedora by my college and have many books on it. But I just like how everything including apt-get works in Ubuntu.

I decide to set up this thread as a poll because I don't want to upset the moderators or any one else for that matter trying to state which one is better or not. I set it up for only Ubuntu because I like Ubuntu and want to see if others like it for the same reasons I do... Thanks for your votes and happy Ubuntu-ing...

Optimal Aurora...

Oh and forgot this can some body comment on the kernel optimizations like instead of using x86_64 like most distros, using amd64-k8 for better performance... Does it really help?

poofyhairguy
May 23rd, 2005, 03:39 AM
I like:

community

15000 of debian's packages without debian's rough edges such as the Debian menu (love the GDM theme)

powerpc version

backport repo is one of the best run subversion repos in Linuxland (compare this to the fedora repos that fight with fedora's official one).

did I mention 15000 packages (THE advantage IMHO over any RPM distro)

XDevHald
May 23rd, 2005, 03:44 AM
Great Poll!

I checked on all of them.Reason why is because it's soft enough for users to actually enjoy a great distro that doesn't beat them down with disruptions during development and graphic designing, and etc.

In all honesty, Ubuntu is a free GDM and has what every user needs for a first time run with a distro.

TravisNewman
May 23rd, 2005, 03:56 AM
I checked all but office-- I've never used it in an office so I can't really say one way or the other.

pdk001
May 23rd, 2005, 04:34 AM
i voted for apt-get
i was used to fedora till i know that ubuntu
ubuntu just one CD to installation
easy install applications through apt-get
last things, i love ubuntu's graphic

Optimal Aurora
May 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks to everyone that participated in the poll...

kvidell
May 23rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Because it's the first distro to work 98% w/o tweaking on my laptops :-P
All I have to do is add a few arguments to the kernel line in the menu.lst for grub, reboot, and then it jumps up to 99.9% because Suspend is then functional :)

I also really love the community here.
[ (1) ]
- Kev

EDIT1: A bit flamier than I intended, apologies.

poofyhairguy
May 23rd, 2005, 07:23 PM
Even have Gentoo sucked but had a community as robust, helpful and kind as this one, I'd use it.

Play a little nicer please.

kvidell
May 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Play a little nicer please.
Erf. Sorry.
Was a little flamier than I had intended.
- K

jerome bettis
May 23rd, 2005, 09:07 PM
I checked on all of them.

yep me too

Optimal Aurora
May 24th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Yep, I think I have found my linux distro..............................

And its Fed....... Ubuntu. Especially since its more hands on...

aysiu
May 25th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Personally, and for my particular computer, I prefer MEPIS, but I'm getting to know Ubuntu, because a friend of mine wants me to install Linux on her computer (once school is over), and I think Ubuntu (once configured properly) is best for the novice user. For one thing, its hotplug performance is miles ahead of MEPIS's.

There's a general stability and simplicity to Ubuntu, and there's a lot of support here at the forums.

Who knows? If I play around with Ubuntu enough, I may actually begin liking it more than MEPIS... maybe.

bored2k
May 25th, 2005, 02:11 AM
1. You get supercow powers.
2. You get an incroyable community.
3. You get a flexible and responsive desktop.
4. Yesterday I plugged in my brother's laptop.. zero smb configurations.. pure plug n play.