PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is great but I like Fedora for some reason

burnhamd
May 23rd, 2005, 02:35 AM
The other day I decided to install two distros to my AMD64 system Fedora Core 4 and Ubuntu Hoary Warthog. Instillation: This was my first time insalling linux (but not my fist time using it). Both installs went great I liked anaconda better than the debian installer untill it was time to manage my partions then the debian gave me a little more detail. Fedora came with many more packages with one tradeoff, it took too long to download. Ubuntu was fitted with most of the apps I wanted except for the development tools.
First impression: As soon as I logged into Ubuntu the first thing I noticed was that It didnt look good at all. And I spent a little time messing with themes and screen resolution which didnt go very high. But I never could get it to "feel right" So I installed the Kubuntu packages, kde felt better but its usability is not as good as gnome so I stayed with gnome. When I logged into Fedora It was magic everyhting felt so clean and perfect(except for the firefox icon).
Application Installing and Update: Let me start off saying that I used apt-get first. Kubuntu as a breeze after I set up more repositories and both apt-get commandline and Synaptic were amazing easy and user freindly. So I installed my P2P applications and went on my way. Fedora was a whole different world. Yum is horrible so far I cant get any other repositories to work and Yumex and Gyum dont work and Apt-get doesnt either. The only rpms that have worked so far is Thunderbird and Firefox updates. I still cant get MP3 support or P2P(native that is) to work.
conclusion: I dont know what it is bu I just like Fedora buntu is great but I just cant get away from fedora maybe its faster or something (even though I cant tell.) So here I am typing this up in Firefox in Fedora.
Fedora is just like a magnet. Maybe Its because I installed Ubntu first and learned on it and Knew exactly waht to do when I configured Fedora. Anyway thats just my impressions of two great distros.
By the way I love linux!!

TravisNewman
May 23rd, 2005, 02:38 AM
hey, that's the beauty of Linux-- you have endless options. Not everyone is going to love Ubuntu the way some do. You just have to find what works for you, and it seems that you have. I WOULD suggest giving some others a shot though, just so you know you're getting what you want.

bored2k
May 23rd, 2005, 02:40 AM
The other day I decided to install two distros to my AMD64 system Fedora Core 4 and Ubuntu Hoary Warthog. Instillation: This was my first time insalling linux (but not my fist time using it). Both installs went great I liked anaconda better than the debian installer untill it was time to manage my partions then the debian gave me a little more detail. Fedora came with many more packages with one tradeoff, it took too long to download. Ubuntu was fitted with most of the apps I wanted except for the development tools.
First impression: As soon as I logged into Ubuntu the first thing I noticed was that It didnt look good at all. And I spent a little time messing with themes and screen resolution which didnt go very high. But I never could get it to "feel right" So I installed the Kubuntu packages, kde felt better but its usability is not as good as gnome so I stayed with gnome. When I logged into Fedora It was magic everyhting felt so clean and perfect(except for the firefox icon).
Application Installing and Update: Let me start off saying that I used apt-get first. Kubuntu as a breeze after I set up more repositories and both apt-get commandline and Synaptic were amazing easy and user freindly. So I installed my P2P applications and went on my way. Fedora was a whole different world. Yum is horrible so far I cant get any other repositories to work and Yumex and Gyum dont work and Apt-get doesnt either. The only rpms that have worked so far is Thunderbird and Firefox updates. I still cant get MP3 support or P2P(native that is) to work.
conclusion: I dont know what it is bu I just like Fedora buntu is great but I just cant get away from fedora maybe its faster or something (even though I cant tell.) So here I am typing this up in Firefox in Fedora.
Fedora is just like a magnet. Maybe Its because I installed Ubntu first and learned on it and Knew exactly waht to do when I configured Fedora. Anyway thats just my impressions of two great distros.
By the way I love linux!!
After reading your -very hard to read- paragraph, I feel like you really missed on Ubuntu's keypoints/negatives and failed to give a real reason why FC was good/bad. They both arent mp3 at first. You managed on Ubuntu, on FC you haven't. You like apt, you dislike yum. FC is "faster" ? 1. Depends on what you're using. 2. From what I have heard it is not true. Maybe you just like Bluecurve ? For that matter, AuroX rocks.. You're not the first to prefer FC, but please give us something to think about :P

somuchfortheafter
May 23rd, 2005, 03:56 AM
After reading your -very hard to read- paragraph, I feel like you really missed on Ubuntu's keypoints/negatives and failed to give a real reason why FC was good/bad. The You're not the first to prefer FC, but please give us something to think about :P

yea i hate long exact quotes but the point is that I was thinking all of the exact same things as you bored

Optimal Aurora
May 23rd, 2005, 04:06 AM
Please don't start a fire fight but this is why I like fedora...
You can go on the net to ATI or some other sites like Realplayer.com and get rpms really easily. I have numerous books on fedora. And once you learn something its hard to learn something else without thinking oh, I could do that in fedora a whole lot easier than Ubuntu. Disadvantages are the numerous dependency problems, as well as, not having the appropriate libraries especially since I have x86_64 kernel. Also it doesn't have an optimized kernel or on my system play cds easily.

Ubuntu, I like because of its simple but user friendly environoment. It installs only the minimum which saves disk space and you install every thing else. however you can't easily go out and find books or files or etc. on the net easily for Debian. Although, every thing in some way just works. It has an optimized kernel and plays cds without modifications.

bored2k
May 23rd, 2005, 04:22 AM
Please don't start a fire fight but this is why I like fedora...
You can go on the net to ATI or some other sites like Realplayer.com and get rpms really easily. I have numerous books on fedora. And once you learn something its hard to learn something else without thinking oh, I could do that in fedora a whole lot easier than Ubuntu. Disadvantages are the numerous dependency problems, as well as, not having the appropriate libraries especially since I have x86_64 kernel. Also it doesn't have an optimized kernel or on my system play cds easily.

Ubuntu, I like because of its simple but user friendly environoment. It installs only the minimum which saves disk space and you install every thing else. however you can't easily go out and find books or files or etc. on the net easily for Debian. Although, every thing in some way just works. It has an optimized kernel and plays cds without modifications.
That is a fact. Ubuntu users might need to get their hands a little dirty as they(We) still dont have the kind of "official" support rpm users have. Pourtant, backports were born :D.

pdk001
May 23rd, 2005, 04:46 AM
important things is that we came to beat against monopoly compay even though you are either using ubuntu or not

topcop
May 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
After reading your -very hard to read- paragraph, I feel like you really missed on Ubuntu's keypoints/negatives and failed to give a real reason why FC was good/bad. They both arent mp3 at first. You managed on Ubuntu, on FC you haven't. You like apt, you dislike yum. FC is "faster" ? 1. Depends on what you're using. 2. From what I have heard it is not true. Maybe you just like Bluecurve ? For that matter, AuroX rocks.. You're not the first to prefer FC, but please give us something to think about :P
Actually Fedora Core 4 is quite a bit faster, maybe its GCC4.0

SparkyDawg
May 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Hell, I like Fedora just as much as Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu just because of it's ease of use, great community and great documentation. I've pretty much loved every distro I've tried..Debian, Knoppix, Gentoo, FreeBSD(Not Linux, I know) and Yoper. I just love Ubuntu for it's community. The other distros don't have such a strong community.

XDevHald
May 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Hell, I like Fedora just as much as Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu just because of it's ease of use, great community and great documentation. I've pretty much loved every distro I've tried..Debian, Knoppix, Gentoo, FreeBSD(Not Linux, I know) and Yoper. I just love Ubuntu for it's community. The other distros don't have such a strong community.
Ah, sounds like a good post here, I have to agree, but not the Fedora area though, it's just a terrible distro in general as well with the communities, but I'll stop bashing now ;)

Ubuntu will ALWAYS do what other distros do, think you know the answer? let's see :)

mrtaber
May 23rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Well, my Fedora soft-spot has a little bit different cause. After my father passed about 8 years ago, we started looking for a half-sister we knew we had (his daughter), but had never met. We searched and searched, but the trail went cold. Just a couple of months ago, I got a message on Fedora Forum. A woman (with the correct first name) asked about me, my father, and my brother. You guessed it--it was my long lost (half-) sister; she'd been Googling, looking for my dad and her brothers (us), saw my name on FedoraForum.org, joined, and found me. We're going to meet this summer.

So, no matter what, I have a soft spot for Fedora Core :)

Mark

mrtaber
May 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM
Now, let me also say that I really, really like Ubuntu, but for my current project, I'm using RHEL 4. So I'm running FC 3, FC 4 Test 3, and Ubuntu Hoary on VM Ware on RHEL 4.

I'm doing a huge (to me) CD ripping and encoding project...over 700 of my CDs. Even after fixing the DMA problem, using Sound Juicer, I was getting rip-and-encode times of 3-4x with Ubuntu. On Fedora Core 3 (same machine, older version of Sound Juicer), I got 5-8x. On RHEL 4 (same machine, older version of Sound Juicer), I'm getting 10-14x. So, at least for the duration of my project, I'm on RHEL 4. (Work is paying, so it's all good).

But I do recommend Ubuntu whenever I can :) I use it under VM Ware every day. It's a great distro; I can't wait to see where it will be in another 18 months to 2 years.

Mark :)

Optimal Aurora
May 23rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
Since I was a Fedora Core 3 user, the freedom to customize almost anything in fedora and all was not there as openly as Ubuntu. In Fedora 1 thru 3 Redhat's people had the majority of the control be it for updates or for just making your day rough and DSL connection tied up with downloading updates for software you didn't as anaconda to install. Fedora 4 is suppose to be equilivant to Ubuntu when it first came out, letting any program chime in and make software mods for everyone using fedora 4. I have yet to see that happen though, and surfing fedoraforum.org you can see that like in the past (Redhat released an OS, just like Microsoft does, its not ready to be release because of some problems people are having) Fedora 4 has some SELinux as well as SSH and other problems to work out.

EDIT1= Oh and Fedora Core 1-3 doesn't like VMWare all that great, you get more useage out of a straight install then all the VMWare nags about you can't do this or that.

burnhamd
May 23rd, 2005, 08:54 PM
Hey guys first off sorry my paragraph was not well written.
Second, Yum sucks so far, apt-get rocks but I finally got yumex to work.
Third I use the same themes in both
Fourth, Ubuntu community is great ; better than fedora's
Fifth why do I like Fedora!!
Oh, well I also love BeOs for the same feel good reason.

Optimal Aurora
May 23rd, 2005, 09:53 PM
all negative thoughts about fedora aside...

I do admit it is a good OS but for a distro that is less that 1 year old, to go against fedora and the others and become as popular as it is now, Ubuntu must have done something cool.

TeeJay
July 1st, 2005, 04:09 AM
It shouldn't be Fedora vs Ubuntu, it should be linux vs windows vs mac.

burnhamd
July 5th, 2005, 10:24 PM

well said

Big Venus
July 6th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Yes, but between the distros Fedora vs. Ubuntu is better in some cases, especially if you have dual monitors and want good x86_64 or AMD64 support.

TravisNewman
July 6th, 2005, 04:31 AM
no, it should be windows, mac, linux, unix, be, whatever, but NO VERSUS! It's not a competition unless you make it one. It's choice.

Gary Powers
July 6th, 2005, 02:29 PM
no, it should be windows, mac, linux, unix, be, whatever, but NO VERSUS! It's not a competition unless you make it one. It's choice.

Very, very true! I run all three OS's on four different computers and enjoy them all. Reminds of a line from a song in the musical comedy FINIANS RAINBOW ......... "when I'm not near the girl I love, I love the girl I'm near."

Gary

minimidgy
July 7th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I kept on installing a bunch of distros and I eventually went back to my very first linux distro: Ubuntu.

oh, and I couldn't figure out how to load up the kde environment. All I was getting was the command prompt.

amrust
July 30th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I don't have have anything against people using whatever OS they feel most comfortable with. I just saw this thread, and thought it was a fitting place to post this.

I switched to Ubuntu a few weeks ago, largely because I had been a Red Hat/Fedora Linux dabbler, and found the Fedora support community sorely lacking. Fedora would also cause my dual boot system to hose, after doing initial package updates, for some reason. Those 2 facts, coupled with the inability of Fedora to accurately detect my laptop hardware from the very beginning, made me make look for another distro. I found Ubuntu through a link on Distrowatch. Anyway, I then tried the Ubuntu Live CD, which ran flawlessly on my Laptop, so I never looked back to Fedora.

Ubuntu is the best thing that's happened to my laptop since my wireless router. I love it!!! :D

DJ_Max
July 31st, 2005, 02:08 AM
Agreed, I'm a little tired of the thousands of vs threads on the net. Besides, mac isn't an OS!!