PDA

View Full Version : Does Card reader on linux work?

Gargamella
February 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I have seen that their drivers are included in opensuse... so can i make it work in ubuntu edgy?

it is a 4 in 1 card reader.

mostwanted
February 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
It's not as simple as "do card readers work?". Some work, some don't. Mine does. I have an ASUS V6J laptop.

I did a thorough background check of my laptop before I even bought it to check that everything from Bluetooth to wifi to card reader to graphics card to microphone works. You should do the same if you have doubts :)

mips
February 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I have seen that their drivers are included in opensuse... so can i make it work in ubuntu edgy?

it is a 4 in 1 card reader.

Dependant on the chipset used by the card reader.

Gargamella
February 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
i don't have the problem "which laptop to buy" I already have one (dual boot) where i would like using it, or at least i would like to know if it works...

anyway i am in dual boot and there is no problem I just wanted to know something about it

anaconda
February 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I haven't ever had any problems with USB- card readers in linux. Currently I have 3 of them.. They work just the same as USB-memory sticks.

Anthem
February 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Agreed. Every USB card reader or USB flash drive I've ever had has worked seamlessly in Linux.

As for laptops, it depends on what laptop. But if it works in opensuse, it's probably going to work in Ubuntu as well.